How much are they worth?

Help Support CattleToday:

Just got the sale barn flyer.. Butcher bulls are going at about 1.25, butcher cows at 1.05 AVERAGE!... some butcher bulls brought 1.35 for 2100 lb'ers. We sold our GV bull this spring for more than we paid for him 5 years ago as a 2 year old breeding bull.

I found if a cow breeds back well for the first 5 years, she'll probably keep doing it... I had my old cow Rosie go from a May 5th (2011) calf (Cenci, my meatwagon heifer) to Mar 25th 2012... And that was when she was 16, I kept her for one more calf and that one was born Mar 24 (2013).
Older cows are underrated, a GOOD older cow can give you several quality calves without any wait time.. She's got a calf on her, and *should* have another coming... She'll give you a paycheck this fall and next fall, while if you retain a heifer calf you don't get a paycheck for 2 years after weaning! With the markets the way they are, I think the price is about right. The question is whether it's the right time to buy!

gizmom":gz0x5qau said:
Well a cow is worth about as much as someone is willing to pay. That being said we went to a sale and watched a 13 year old cow sell. She was a good one actually the dam of a number of at that time top AI bulls in the country. Seeing the cow in person she wasn't all that impressive, but you had to admire what she had produced. All that being said we watched her sell that day and this has been a number of years ago for I think it was 200,000 and that was with the stipulation that she would not be bred for a natural calf and she would be housed in a donor facility. Her daughter then came in the ring and sold for 150,000.00.

We just sent a load of cull cows to the sale barn, these were opens or broke mouth or bad feet all the usual reasons for culling cows. We averaged over 1100 a head or about 1$ a pound. Not bad for culls.

Gizmom
Glad you got to see them sell. They were both mine. :lol2: :lol2: :hide:

Latest posts