How much are they worth?

Help Support CattleToday:

Dale L

Reaction score
How much would you be willing to pay for a registered cow that is 11yrs. old, has a 2 month old heifer calf at side, and is bred back to a registered bull? I have never really dabbled in the registered stock so I thought I would get some opinions.

Me??? About :2cents: under commercial grade price of similar quality.
Not being a member of the breed registry, there is no advantage to you in buying a registered animal.
Playing around with just a couple of registered animals is too expensive in association and membership fees.
You have to really want to be a member of whatever breed organization you choose to make it pay off.

I could guarantee you they are worth somewhere between $500 and $50,000 with the information provided.

Isomade":8lsi2vhj said:
I could guarantee you they are worth somewhere between $500 and $50,000 with the information provided.

Yup, breed, breed of the calf and possible pics would help. Is the cow a wore out cow or still able to give you more calves in the future?

Dale L":gksv8vr1 said:
How much would you be willing to pay for a registered cow that is 11yrs. old, has a 2 month old heifer calf at side, and is bred back to a registered bull? I have never really dabbled in the registered stock so I thought I would get some opinions.

11 years old cow with 2 month calf, 60 days post calving and settled back? That's impressive. I think I'd ask for a guarantee on the pregnancy. Has she maintained this type of fertility all her life? Ask for average bw and nursing ratios and actuals.

your q is a very loaded 1 thats for sure. talked to guy that had some reg beefmasters for sale.he had an 8yr old pair that he wanted $2600 for.now pesonally i thought that was high.so id prolly walk away from the above deal at any price.

Dale L":ma43cnkf said:

In Brahman you often see a registered 10 year old with calf for $2500-$3000

The cow is worth kill price. The calf is worth market price for whatever his weight is. Without a guarantee of her being bred the "1" month bred is worthless.

Sorry for the lack of details. I would not be buying the cow. Someone asked me my opinion and since I have only commercial stock I didn't really have one. They are Maine cows. Not fullblood red and white maine but high percentage Maine. They are out of some of the top bloodlines in the breed. They are priced at $3000 and the pregnancy would be verified with blood test.

Someone wrote that it was impressive for an 11 yr old cow to breed back within 60 days. I do not find that so uncommon. As a matter of fact I expect my cows to breed back that quick. And I don't think 11 is old enough to be having too many fertility issues. We have a few cows that are 15 and over and still breeding back on time. Am I the only one that feels this way on this?

Dale L":1q6flxag said:
Sorry for the lack of details. I would not be buying the cow. Someone asked me my opinion and since I have only commercial stock I didn't really have one. They are Maine cows. Not fullblood red and white maine but high percentage Maine. They are out of some of the top bloodlines in the breed. They are priced at $3000 and the pregnancy would be verified with blood test.

Someone wrote that it was impressive for an 11 yr old cow to breed back within 60 days. I do not find that so uncommon. As a matter of fact I expect my cows to breed back that quick. And I don't think 11 is old enough to be having too many fertility issues. We have a few cows that are 15 and over and still breeding back on time. Am I the only one that feels this way on this?

If they're verifiably pregnant at 60 days post partum, then your calving season is moving ahead about a month per year.

I had a neighbor once who never pulled the bull and he claimed he'd have an occasional cow that would pick up a year in her lifetime. I've never tried it. I'd just as soon not have a 12 month calving season.

Dale L":3fwlkg7g said:
Are they showy Maines? Or commercial-oriented Maines? If showy, do they have winning stock in their pedigrees? If they really are out of top bloodlines (not just out of bulls you can find anywhere, but dams with solid maternal backgrounds) then $3000 sounds like a decent price considering an open heifer that is from top bloodlines can bring at least $3000 as a show heifer.
Edit: she will bring that much as long as she is fed for showing and has sound feet/legs with proper structure.

Dale L":22dufst5 said:

Quite a few folks on here have some older cows that do a great job of backing up a month every year as well as raising the calf after it's born. No reason not to keep the cow. But...being sold on the open market to a non breeder she's worth no more than any other cow. I wouldn't be afraid to buy her tho, just wouldn't think about giving registered seed stock prices for her or the calves.

shorty- I guess I should have said they are supposed to be out of some top lines. I personally don't know too much about registered maines. Polled Energizer, War Chief, and Titleist are a few of the bulls that show up on a three generation pedigree.

Dale L":1tobyt8g said:
shorty- I guess I should have said they are supposed to be out of some top lines. I personally don't know too much about registered maines. Polled Energizer, War Chief, and Titleist are a few of the bulls that show up on a three generation pedigree.

Young Commercial pairs are bringing $2000-$2500, so I can't see how $3000 can be out of line. If it was me, I wouldn't consider the cow pregnant even with the blood test. I'd call her exposed and plan on having a bull with her for a couple cycles.

she is an old cow, 2 month old calf , she may or may not be bred back,if she ran with a bull , blood test are only 95% at 30 days . I have had cows older , that did a good job till 15 or so, buy her as a pair and if she is bred back it is a bonus, you may get another heifer, write down the date you get her and run her with another bull for 30 more days to be safe , she is prolly worth $25-3000, she will bring a $1.00/lb in the kill pen

JWBrahman":32sj7j9t said:
Dale L":32sj7j9t said:

In Brahman you often see a registered 10 year old with calf for $2500-$3000

Thats cause us southern cowboys know she'll still be good for another 5-6 years! :D

Dale L":2zhzfuek said:

We expect that, but do not always get it. One cow, off the top of my head was a show heifer (half blood, BC Lookout x GCF Cayenne). She is a March 2010, had her first calf in mid Feb 12 (the steer that won the carcass contest last year, a black white faced), she has our good bull Feb 1st last year (embryo), had a calf this year in January (a Steel Force embryo heifer) and is due the middle of December with another embryo calf. This is what we try to get our cows to do, but not all fit in that box, so to speak!
As far as the question, I would expect to pay at least 3 for the pair, depending on the sire of the heifer and who the cow was bred back to. I would also look on the association web site and see how many calves this 11 year old cow has produced. I expect the cow to have a calf a year.

Well a cow is worth about as much as someone is willing to pay. That being said we went to a sale and watched a 13 year old cow sell. She was a good one actually the dam of a number of at that time top AI bulls in the country. Seeing the cow in person she wasn't all that impressive, but you had to admire what she had produced. All that being said we watched her sell that day and this has been a number of years ago for I think it was 200,000 and that was with the stipulation that she would not be bred for a natural calf and she would be housed in a donor facility. Her daughter then came in the ring and sold for 150,000.00.

We just sent a load of cull cows to the sale barn, these were opens or broke mouth or bad feet all the usual reasons for culling cows. We averaged over 1100 a head or about 1$ a pound. Not bad for culls.

Gizmom

Sold a 6 weight brangus heifer that knocked a eye out on something, and tried to plow me under when I got her up.... Took her to the stockyard Monday...told the worker she didn't bluff, to watch out.he ran her up the alley and she doubled back on him and knocked him down, and knocked a couple boards off the alley.. I said that's it I'm sunk.. She brought a thousand sixteen... I was ready to shoot her the day before... Never thought I see these type prices where even a dock, don't hurt bad.

ALACOWMAN":36i77rx2 said:
Sold a 6 weight brangus heifer that knocked a eye out on something, and tried to plow me under when I got her up.... Took her to the stockyard Monday...told the worker she didn't bluff, to watch out.he ran her up the alley and she doubled back on him and knocked him down, and knocked a couple boards off the alley.. I said that's it I'm sunk.. She brought a thousand sixteen... I was ready to shoot her the day before... Never thought I see these type prices where even a dock, don't hurt bad.

Its an awesome market.