How many days left

Help Support CattleToday:

Ok, will try to make this quick so I can get back out there to make sure calf sucks. Checked on her at 5:30 this morning. All calm. Went back at 07:30 and just missed it. Blood and guts all over the place. Plus, I could see where her water had broken. Calf was about an hour old at most. It tried to kill me and itself within that first hour. As I got a little closer to it to check it out. Little sucker bolted and ran through the fence. I have them in a small pen about 300 X 70 or so. One side is the side of a building, so no escape there. Another side is chainlink fience and one side is 6 wire barbed wire. Last side is 5 string barbed wire. Well it took off though the section of 5 string. I quickly went through to go get it. Did not want mama getting all tore up going through the fence also. Got it back on the right side in less than a minute. During all of that excitement I did not get chance to make sure of the sex. I think it is a heifer. I ran on down to farm supply and got some stuff for the navel. But, now scared to apply it because of all that early morning action. One quick question for the experienced folk, Should the calf be breathing real fast. When I ask that, I mean 2 hours or more after all the fence jumping, it is still breathing very fast short breaths. Plus, I have only seen it suck for about a minute or so about 4 different times. When I get done with this post. I am going back out to get a better look. Mom seems ok she does not seem to be upset with me getting close, but I don't want to push my luck. I am not real pleased with her utter. I don't like the shape. You guys tell me what you think. Especially about the breathing thing.

Mike G

Oscurita004.jpg

dun":2k3osafg said:
What does "breathing very fast slow breaths" mean?

Sorry, I meant fast short breaths. I also have another about to calve. She had about a 18 inch piece of mucus hanging out of her this morn. I might get 2 calves today.

I think they mean fast, short, shallow breaths as breathing fast deep breaths is almost impossible to do. If the calf was spooked it will take a while to calm down. Your cow has very bad edema, make sure that the calf is actually getting some groceries , the more the calf drinks the more the edema will go down. Her teats should not stick out to the sides when the edema goes down. It's either edema or her udder is blown hard to tell from the pic.

I would be watchful of the breathing. I am wondering if you are not causing the calf anxiety (?). No, I don't like her udder ~ but it is what you have to work with for now so it is a non issue. Also, she is very engorged (as is typical), and it may take on a more regular shape (not regular but more regular) after some time. Don't worry about the calf only nursing 4 times about a minute each. If she has figured out on her own where all those parts are, then I think it is safe to assume she will do fine. She is also eating when you are not watching. I guess I will be interested to see what the others say about that calves breathing. How old is your cow? Your cow you think will be calving later ~ is she seperated from the herd as this one was, or is she out in the pasture?

the reason he was breathing like that is because you scared him up.when you scare a newborn calf they might take off on you like that 1 did.an thats why he is breathing hard.you have a fine looking pair there.

That was about 2 hours earlier, read more closely. I had left and came back 2 hours later. I am worried he is not getting milk. Have no help today. Cannot get a hold of any my boys. tried to tie moms back legs to milk her, no luck.

goldengoat":3soj4ps3 said:
That was about 2 hours earlier, read more closely. I had left and came back 2 hours later. I am worried he is not getting milk. Have no help today. Cannot get a hold of any my boys. tried to tie moms back legs to milk her, no luck.
OK. Apparently the calf is not the only one who needs to calm down, we all understand that it was 2 hours earlier. Why do you feel the calf is not getting enough milk? How old is cow?

If you are worried and cannot check her get to your supply store and buy powdered colostrum asap, buy a bottle too. Mix it and feed it to the calf is it starving it will drink the bottle , you might need to drizzle a few drops in it`s mouth. You should always have colostrum on hand for emergencies. Or you can cross your fingers and hope for the best.

I disagree with hd. I do not understand the reason for the interference so far. What might happen if you leave them be?

Angie with a cow with edema this bad at,after calving you can always visibly see the edema go down on the teat that the calf has sucked from, I am getting the feeling that the teats look exactly the same as when she calved and that is not a good thing.

That udder is atrocious.

Also you can check without bugging , you can sneak to an area where she cannot see you and use a good set of binoculars. I do that all of the time during calving ,well I did, now have cameras in my calving areas.

hillsdown":2bq8v7zi said:
Angie with a cow with edema this bad at,after calving you can always visibly see the edema go down on the teat that the calf has sucked from, I am getting the feeling that the teats look exactly the same as when she calved
I understand where you are coming from hd, I just disagree. He says he has seen the calf nurse, and has given no reason why he believes the calf is not getting milk. Why is this cow seperated from the herd? Were there problems anticipated? Someone who says "there were blood and guts all over" is maybe an alarmist, I read through twice trying to figure out where the blood and guts were coming from ~ those words kind of jump out at someone attempting to problem solve. I don't know ~ maybe there were blood and guts all over, but then that seems like a bigger issue. This is frustrating to me. There is not enough information, but people are trying to help given what they have and he says "read more closely". Come on.

I knew what you said...that there were 2 hours between time...ANd imagine if you had SQUEEZED through A birth canal,ran through a barb wire fence(ouch),some dude wrangled you up an put u back through and then someone kept watching u every so often(i know that you are just taking precaution)my heart would be racing and i waould be breathing funny especially if its cold where you are at..And not to mention it and its mother getting spit from the herd and taken to a confinment pen all that to say i read it just fine and was agreeing with tncattle467...hope everything is ok an they are fine

The calf's breathing is normal they all breath with little short breaths, looks like they are going a million miles an hour. Cows like their space when calving. I would agree with too much intervention.

Congratulations on the new one! ;-)

sounds like your getting a little too involved,, one thing i would do after it gets her nursed down. is get rid of em, that udder is horrible and it aint gonna get better from here on out...trust me ive had my share of just like her

Baby calves nurse small amounts for a short time. If you are concerned that it is not getting enough.
Look at the calf's left side in the hollow in front of the point of the hip bone. If it is getting anything, this area will look full. It it isn't, the area will be very hollow.

I agree with the udder. It has horrible center ligament support. If it is a heifer, don't keep her as a replacement cow. Either eat her or ship her. And ship the cow too.

If you are really concerned, call your vet to check them.

You really should have left them alone after birth so that the cow could take care of her calf. Sounds like you had a real preventable wreck.

alacattleman":32c41gd6 said:
sounds like your getting a little too involved,, one thing i would do after it gets her nursed down. is get rid of em, that udder is horrible and it aint gonna get better from here on out...trust me ive had my share of just like her

Yea, that sux. She is a very tame and gentle heifer. I was getting so involved because this is my 3rd calf and my first one died. Not sure if it was my fault the mothers fault or combination of both. Was trying to do a better job this time. Some folk have told me the utter will get better. They both seem fine this morning. I am less worried now. but, might have to take your advice and toss them. Thanks for all the help from everyone.

poor udder conformation wont get better,,, as the calf gets older a requires more,and milks her down it will look better, later on you might have too milk her down for the next calves to start nursing

Latest posts