How long?

Help Support CattleToday:

New client showed up at my daughter's vet clinic with this newly purchased calf for a "checkup". After a thorough exam, she pronounced it healthy and cute. Looks like they had also invested in a high fashion halter. They probably paid more than I will get for a yearling simmental bull.

View attachment 29860
the seller found the key to profitability, sell something to someone that wants it for whatever reason more than the money they spent. How many trends are like that? Beanie Babies were a good example

New client showed up at my daughter's vet clinic with this newly purchased calf for a "checkup". After a thorough exam, she pronounced it healthy and cute. Looks like they had also invested in a high fashion halter. They probably paid more than I will get for a yearling simmental bull.

View attachment 29860
Good news is that the halter was probably $10 from Tractor supply

So we know your issue with highlands is you had them and didn't make money on them. What is your issue with Galloways?
Or is it Dutch belted you have an issue with? Don't like people outcrossing inbred Holsteins to them ? Or?
Commercial beef production always comes down to money.
In the 1880s Angus and Galloway were on equal footing with the Galloway association first Canadian registry in 1872 and in
the U.S. in 1882. In 1911 there were 35,000 registered in the U.S. In 2022 registered Galloway numbered 26,800 worldwide.

U.S. Angus association founded a year later in 1883 has registered over 10 million head.
Both Angus and Galloway originated in Scottland. Both taste great and Galloway may even have an edge in better tasting.
Then why did Galloway lose out to Angus?
Commercial beef production is survival of the fittest. Angus superior maternal traits and reproductive performance
(pounds weaned per cow exposed) made money for their owners and left Galloway and other breeds in the dust to become
#1 in US breed registry.
Bottom line: It's always about money. It's kind of important to people who do it for a living.

Last edited:
I'm just here to stir the pot, I'm basically off until Sunday since I just wrapped up a professionally oriented trip to San Antonio (was like dragging my cajones through a cactus patch, I wake up every day and try to reassure myself that I'm the dumbest person I'll work with today and I always get proven horrifically wrong, especially on occasions when I have to work with today's 18-22 year old population).

Attachments

• high_res.jpg
    high_res.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 1950s-two-hereford-cattle-back-to-back-vintage-images.jpg
    1950s-two-hereford-cattle-back-to-back-vintage-images.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 12
  • C2n6dLaXUAEPVYL.jpg
    C2n6dLaXUAEPVYL.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 1955.jpg
    1955.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 12
I'm just here to stir the pot, I'm basically off until Sunday since I just wrapped up a professionally oriented trip to San Antonio (was like dragging my cajones through a cactus patch, I wake up every day and try to reassure myself that I'm the dumbest person I'll work with today and I always get proven horrifically wrong, especially on occasions when I have to work with today's 18-22 year old population).
Angus looked just like the Herefords back in those days.

Well... just like today... except for their coloring.

Angus looked just like the Herefords back in those days.

Well... just like today... except for their coloring.
I have an immense soft spot for herefords, but I'd have to get them cheap as cows to take the risk on my home range. I did pass on a passel of them at $950 last month, they all looked too stunted if you catch my drift.

I have an immense soft spot for herefords, but I'd have to get them cheap as cows to take the risk on my home range. I did pass on a passel of them at $950 last month, they all looked too stunted if you catch my drift.
Herefords are every bit as good as angus, or can be. It's a shame they've succumbed to the CAB war.

For me, on my place, I have doubts as to their ability to thrive just due to the inherent environmental conditions.
Compared to Angus developed in the same part of the world under similar conditions? Or are you saying that both breeds and others of European heritage are troublesome in Alabama (?) and you need something more humidity/heat tolerant?

Compared to Angus developed in the same part of the world under similar conditions? Or are you saying that both breeds and others of European heritage are troublesome in Alabama (?) and you need something more humidity/heat tolerant?
They both can and are done in Alabama, though something with better heat, insect, and parasite tolerance will usually do better. I meant specifically on my place. My place is rough, anything ever kept down there without anything other than light winter supplement and salt and mineral has had to be tough and resourceful. Many of the pasture princess herefords from pet herds would simply not make a good go of it down there. Historically, the property has best supported brahma cross cattle. It's just wooly is all. If I had some of the rangier more western herefords at hand it might would change the tune I sing but most herefords I find for sale up my way aren't really equipped for departing the land of cultured pastures and water tanks for the land of native shortgrass prairie, woodlands, snakes and waterfalls.

They both can and are done in Alabama, though something with better heat, insect, and parasite tolerance will usually do better. I meant specifically on my place. My place is rough, anything ever kept down there without anything other than light winter supplement and salt and mineral has had to be tough and resourceful. Many of the pasture princess herefords from pet herds would simply not make a good go of it down there. Historically, the property has best supported brahma cross cattle. It's just wooly is all. If I had some of the rangier more western herefords at hand it might would change the tune I sing but most herefords I find for sale up my way aren't really equipped for departing the land of cultured pastures and water tanks for the land of native shortgrass prairie, woodlands, snakes and waterfalls.
Your land must be pretty rough to be worried about the kind of cattle that work on it due to topography. Waterfalls? Yeah, out west where cattle are on BLM ground, mountains and deserts, they need to travel and the pasture princess type are pretty but they don't work. They need to be able to travel, so they need some legs. You should post some pics of your place. Waterfalls?

Alabama is unique in the it is narrow east west and long north south . Conditions are very different in north Alabama as opposed to south Alabama. Mrs Gizmom has one of the finest herds of black Angus around and she is in N Florida right across the Alabama line . Most cattle you see from Montgomery south have some ear to tolerate the heat . Row crop farming is a month-2 months ahead than in N Alabama . Angus or Hereford seem to be the dominant breed in north Alabama and years ago there were a few Shorthorn herds . There are exceptions to all I've said . As to the the folks breeding minis and highlands cattle , as long as people want to play farmer or cattlemen there will be a demand . My family drive chevys or fords and dodges and gmc's . But I know folk's driving kia's and Hyundai's and Porsche s . Well I've seen people drive them but don't personally know a Porsche owner . 🤠

Last edited:
Your land must be pretty rough to be worried about the kind of cattle that work on it due to topography. Waterfalls? Yeah, out west where cattle are on BLM ground, mountains and deserts, they need to travel and the pasture princess type are pretty but they don't work. They need to be able to travel, so they need some legs. You should post some pics of your place. Waterfalls?
Sure thing, one sec. I have posted pictures of our chambers in better weather before, but I snapped these the time before last I was out there. As far as the waterfalls bit, it's half a joke and half sincere. The main water source for the place is a big azz creek below the bluffs that horseshoes the property, and after any decent amount of rain it becomes a turbulent roil that animals can only really safely access in two eddies. If you'll remember the other thread about the strip mine, this whole area is coalhills. It's not bad land, but you get a choice between sandy, rocky ground and super fertile floodplane soil, and it can change in 100 yards.

Ready to hand I've got for ya a picture of our topmost chamber and also my little pond I'm trying to rehab the area around.

Attachments

• 20230205_154018.jpg
    20230205_154018.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 19
  • 20230206_115130.jpg
    20230206_115130.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 19
I didn't know these even existed until about 10 year or so ago. I was at the local sale, because the owner had called me and told me so-and-so was brining in his remaining Corriente steers and some Corr cows . There was what I thought was a black Corriente cow go through as a head cow. Slick and PERFECT shaped horns...about 750 lbs, so I bought her too. $225, because no body stood up and told anything about her, which you usually do when you sell head cows. I took her down south to the Kudzu pasture, and about 9 mos after I got her, she started bagging up, and I mean BIG time for a Corr. Hell, big time for an Angus, even. Looked like a Jersey in a dairy. A team roping partner of mine that had a dairy years ago, came by and I wanted him to look at her., to see if maybe I ought to try to add another calf to her. Her Corr calf wasn't taking anywhere near enough milk to make a difference. He told me " Hell, that ain't no Corriente...that is a Dexter!" Her calf grew faster and a little bigger than most of the straight Corr calves did. Dunno if it was the extra milk, or that she was a little beefier than most Corrs are. Or both. And, she was a little friendlier than most Corrs...would walk up to you, etc. I had her for a few years, and the heifers I kept off her were still making a lot of milk. A lot more than Corrs do, but not as much as she did. And, she may not have produced so much if she was on regular grass instead of he Kudzu. Just now I got to thinking, that if I had her now, I would probably use her in this Corr x MFB project I am experimenting with. If you run up on a black one that size and that slick, Josh, holler at me. Just might try one or 2 just to see.
Found a Dexter in milk on the Bama side, dragging a bull calf on the tit, they said she might do a gallon or so a day on top of the calf.

Commercial beef production always comes down to money.
Commercial beef production is survival of the fittest.
Bottom line: It's always about money. It's kind of important to people who do it for a living.
You mean like feed efficiency?
No need for additional calories to maintain body function until 0 degrees instead of 32 degrees . Totalling hundreds and hundreds of hours a year of reduced calorie intake in my area?
Many forget that profit isn't the total calf check it is calf check minus expenses.

You mean like feed efficiency?
No, I mean like real money that farmers could actually see in 1911 ie herd of 50 cows 25 angus cows 25 galloway cows
24 angus calves to sell 1 angus cow culled 23 galloway calves to sell, 2 galloway cows culled that happens each and every
year for 3 years. Now it's a 41 cow herd 22 angus and 19 galloway cows and farmer says I need 9 replacements hmm should get more angus or more galloway? Our forefathers weren't stupid and the answer was so clear they didn't need any fancy book learning to tell them what to do. Survival of the Fittest. It wasn't pure chance that Angus registered 10 million while Galloway went from 35,000 to 26,800 it was a blowout Angus victory.

Alright, let's back it up. The advent or advancement of one thing in a market doesn't equate to the complete obsolescence or total ruin of all others. It's a "fighting words" kind of topic here that tends to draw out the nastiest in the fine adults here, but there's certainly more than one way to skin a cat and make money off a critter.

And the number of registered beef by breed in 1911 has what to do with todays market? The vast majority of commercial beef today are not pure breed but are crossbreed. Totally different economic and farming practices today compared with 1911? How many cattle were purchased and shot and buried in a hole during the Great Depression?
Still doesn't answer the questions of why Kenny doesn't like ,highland ,Galloway,dexters
But why actually discuss the topic of a thread ?

Latest posts