how long before a new born calf eat

Help Support CattleToday:

MAGONZ1969

Reaction score
Hi, just wondering what you'll seen from experience. I had a cow calf this afternoon about 4:30 p.m.. Weather is in low 20's and suppose to get colder tonight. I hung around for about an hour and a half to see if calf would suck milk from mama cow but she didn't and it started to get dark so I could't see anymore. I left the cow and her calf out in the pen, don't have anywhere else to put her but boy am I concerned. Mama cow is a spooky one and won't let me get close to her, she tried to charge at me a couple times. Calf did stand up a couple of times and walked around a little but didn't see her trying to go for the tits. Any suggestions or past experiences will help. How long can she go without eating from mama cow. I surely can go to farm store and buy some colostrum in the morning to give her but hope is not too late.

The sooner the better of course. I like seeing them suck within the first 2 hours. That being said, I rarely see one born so I usually dont have any idea whether one has sucked quickly or not.
For sure if it has not sucked by morning it will need to be fed. But usually momma will help and they are ok.

If the tits are shiny and clean looking its probably sucked. I like the 2hr rule but up to 4-6 hrs will be ok too. If its that cold she needs a windbreak and maybe some bedding. Chances are if she's that protective you will have a hard time catching it in the morning anyway to feed colostrum. Just be very careful around her for a while and watch your back when walking among the other cows, don't get between her and her calf.

I tell you she scared the living pants out of me but she stayed back after I stood my ground and yelled at her. I sure got the message and and am keeping my distance. I just hope that the calf feeds on her and that she will be fine in the morning. Thanks for the concern though.

My experience has been if the calf hasn't gotten colostrum within the first 24 hrs you will have major problems. I have also learned that an overly protective cow like you described is exhibiting good motherly instincts and most likely let the calf nurse if it was able to do so. I've learned my lesson on getting too close to a newborn on a "smart" cow, sometimes they don't forget and will consider you a threat to the calf from that point on.While we're on the subject I had a longhorn calf born a week ago in sub-freezing weather and that calf was on the t!t before it's rear legs were out of the birth canal!

If she was that upset with your being there it may have been your presence disrupting the whole process. Even if you backed off a good distance to watch she was probably still aware of you and still to upset to tend to her calf. Maybe she will settle down tonight and you will have a well fed calf in the morning.

The two hr rule is a good one. The newborn needs to have colostrum within the first 24 hrs. I also use the shiny, clean teat method, if a teat or two is shiny and clean she's nursing. Also keep in mind a new born calf only takes a very few minutes to nurse, just a guess maybe 3 or 4 minutes. The first time nursing much more time is spent by the calf trying to figure were the food supply is. After they figure it out it's hard to catch one nursing until they get a little older and consume more milk.

Latest posts