How far to keep a Bull away

Help Support CattleToday:

tdarden3k

Reaction score
I soon hope to be weaning and keeping some heifers for replacements . I also will be keeping a mature bull on property. There is no way I want him to get at them as these are NOT for him. How far is a good distance to keep them from him or is there no safe distance. Good fences however with electric wire as well.

I know that with dogs and cats a whole state is not enough distance.
thnaks

I think allot of it depends on the bull. My bull has proven that he can jump a 54" fence flat-footed without knocking an insulator off so we keep our weanling heifers and heifers that I want to A.I. about a mile away on some other property whenever the bull is in with the herd. When I need to take the bull out I just swap him for the heifers and let the heifers run with the herd. I will throw a steer or a couple of bred cows in with the bull to keep him company. The last bull I had I could keep him separated from heifers with just a regular 5 strand barb and he wouldn't do anything but bellow and show off.

Depends on what fence you are using. Haven't had a bull that will try to get across a hot electric fence, but have had ones get across woven wire, barbed wire, cattle panels, tub gates...
Fence dividing between the bullpen and pasture.
8663497033_84ce3eda7f_c.jpg

sim.-ang.king":gwt0y32b said:
Depends on what fence you are using. Haven't had a bull that will try to get across a hot electric fence, but have had ones get across woven wire, barbed wire, cattle panels, tub gates...

Try a Jersey bull Sim..............they floss with electric fences :mrgreen: I had one that I raised and rented out to dairy farmers. He ignored electric fences that were hot enough to sound like a whip crack when it was touched. A tall woven wire fence kept him in pretty good as long as he had company. I think they would go through a mile of balled up concertina wire to breed a cow.

I know that my electric wire won't stop the neighbor's bulls away from my herd. But like Hoss said, it's depends on the bull. Some won't touch the hot wire, others will tearing up the fences.

HOSS":2t4z8yt4 said:
sim.-ang.king":2t4z8yt4 said:

Try a Jersey bull Sim..............they floss with electric fences :mrgreen: I had one that I raised and rented out to dairy farmers. He ignored electric fences that were hot enough to sound like a whip crack when it was touched. A tall woven wire fence kept him in pretty good as long as he had company. I think they would go through a mile of balled up concertina wire to breed a cow.
Were talking beef not crazy dairy bulls, there is a reason they use to put a 3 foot piece of chain hooked on their rings... :lol2:

I think the depends on the bull is good advice. At one place last year I had an Angus bull in with only 10 cows. Across the county road were 60 open heifers and across a 4 strand barbed wire fence was 150 open heifers. I put a single strand of poly wire on a solar charger about 4 feet away from the barbed wire and the bull never tried it. He's been around electric his whole life though.

It depends on the bull. I once watched one of my bulls walk slowly through a two strand hot wire. He must have got shocked 4 or 5 times as he went through it. Every time he got shocked he would shake a little but he just slowly forged ahead. That said I like to have two fences with a space of at least 30 feet between them. I don't seem to have nearly as much trouble that way. I also don't want the bull to be alone. If he has a few bred females with him he seems less likely to wander. But again it depends on the bull. The girlfriend of a guy I once knew said he was a hard dog to keep on the porch. Some bulls are that way too.

Ditto, thanks hook for the mental image!

I have always wintered my bull with the bred cow herd to keep him company and kept the young heifers across the driveway, with two "red hot" fences in between. Never a problem, but every bull is different.

There's a big difference in electric fences and chargers. I have a Gallagher fence tester that shows voltage. I have yet to have any problems with bulls or deer getting through my electric fences. But I know my voltage and check it often. I keep my fence between 7k and 9k volts, it will buckle your knees or knock you off your feet. I have it around the bottom of my garden to kill rabbits not to shock them. I would like to get one of them bulls that walk through fences and put him in my holding pen. I have got it to over 10k volts.

"How far" denotes distance, and there is no set distance for some bulls--depends on the wind and his nose, and some bulls just won't be denied no matte what. They may be bloodied from nose to tail and all in between by the time they get in, but their gonna go no matter what.

highgrit":hxy0qnrk said:
There's a big difference in electric fences and chargers. I have a Gallagher fence tester that shows voltage. I have yet to have any problems with bulls or deer getting through my electric fences. But I know my voltage and check it often. I keep my fence between 7k and 9k volts, it will buckle your knees or knock you off your feet. I have it around the bottom of my garden to kill rabbits not to shock them. I would like to get one of them bulls that walk through fences and put him in my holding pen. I have got it to over 10k volts.
HG--what kind of charger do you recommend? I have a high tight 5 wire barb wire fence and can't keep my Char bull where he's supposed to stay, and 1st part of July,I'm getting 4 new beefmaster heifers I intend to have AI'd with BM semen.
He just yesterday, left 14 mommas and heifers, swam a deep canal, came up a steep bank right onto a 5 wire fence, and from the bottom of that embankment, somehow got over the top wire of that fence with no where to stand and jump from, just to get to one crossbred heifer I didn't want him bred to.
I don't care what the cost or if it sets his hide afire and permanently curls his tail-I want a charger that will make a believer out of him on about 2000 linear feet of fence. Solar would be best, but I could probably go 110v line input to the charger as well.
What ya got?

Greybeard, there built in Perry GA. it's called proshockfencecharger.com I have not tested the 12 volt ones yet. The fellow that owns the company is Michael and he knows electricity. I run a 12 Joule now, and it puts out more voltage than my Zareba 200 mile. But one trick I use is to put salt around my 3 ground rods and water it in good. Let me know if you need anything. Thanks, Vince

In what way does the joules rating equal in Volts?
For instance--regarding the chargers highgrit uses..most of those chargers are rated the same:
"1,500 joules of A.C.Input transient suppression and 4,960 joules of output fence suppression"

What does that mean in layman terms? How many Volts does the animal feel and how do you know just by reading the specs?

Another charger manufactoer advertises:
"2.8 stored joules; 2 joule output at 200 ohms; 12 volt battery operation (battery not included). Output voltage no load is 12,248 volts."

That's a lot less joules, is a much less expensive charger than the ones at highgrit's link, but has 12,000+ volts,so I don't understand what the correlation of joules is to volts....

sim.-ang.king":3n33ep90 said:
4000 joules would be like getting shot by a cannon, or did you mean volts?
If that question is directed to me, I can't say--don't know. I copied the lines in quotation marks directly from 2 different fence charger manufacturer's web pages.
This explains it, tho I have to say I don't fully understand it, mostly because joules and volts have no direct relationship without knowing coulombs. Joule is a measure of work done--or energy. Volts is a direct measurement.
http://blog.kencove.com/volts-vs-joules/

highgrit":z7ug6tmv said:
Greybeard, there built in Perry GA. it's called proshockfencecharger.com I have not tested the 12 volt ones yet. The fellow that owns the company is Michael and he knows electricity. I run a 12 Joule now, and it puts out more voltage than my Zareba 200 mile. But one trick I use is to put salt around my 3 ground rods and water it in good. Let me know if you need anything. Thanks, Vince

What does the salt do to the ground rods?

Latest posts