how early can a cow be check to see if pregnant

Help Support CattleToday:

Dean the hobby farmer

Reaction score
How early can a cow be check to see if she is bred.I was told that it was 40 days by a vet or am I wrong I am renting this bull the owner will soon need him back.I am not sure that bull is any good to breed thats why I need to get vet to check some cows.thanks Dean

40 days is mighty early. That little ( very little ) sucker would be hard to feel. 75-90 days are more in the range of most people. I would say somebody would have to be really really good to tell at 40 days. I wouldn't even attempt it that early. Also it can cause one to abort if done to soon. Someone may prove me wrong, but I just don't see how to do it that early. BTW, I have been proven wrong before. Sonar possibly ?

Is there a urine or blood test maybe? Good question ( I was wondering that myself, since it's been ummmm...13 days! :)

Susie

susie said:
Is there a urine or blood test maybe? Good question ( I was wondering that myself, since it's been ummmm...13 days! :)

would this be a good thing? or am I not following correctly? ;-)

There be such a thing as a sonagram for cows these days. Don't know how common they are, my vet don't be havin one yet. I hear the Japanese be workin on a blood test for cows, but it probably be high dollar if it even be available yet.

george

my vet said he can tell at 35 days, 45 is better, and 90 to be considered "safe in calf" for a sale. I believe ultra sound can be done less than that. And to sex by ultra sound there is a time frame where you can be too early or too late, but can't remember how far along is too long.

About 45 days palpate and 15 days ultrasound. My vet has one and states it cost about $25 per head if you bring them in.

Thanks for that Sydney. My daughters girlfriend works at a $ store and got in a few hundred tests, and I have been tempted.

When I was working with the cattle vet all week, he was palpating cattle who were 35 days bred, although it is quite subtle. He does this all the time though, to someone less experienced it would probably be quite a different story...

TCFC

My large animal vet here specializes in repro...he can tell at 35 days. I think Vicky (here on the forum) mentioned she palpated twins once at 33 days. That's the earliest I've heard of.

you can check them at 45 days . but iys really best to go 60 to 90 days to really confirm peg. scott

Latest posts