How do you stop a calf licking the navels of other calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

uffda

Reaction score
I have two holstein bull calves that are licking the navels of other calves. Is this a serious problem? If so what can I do to stop it?

Seperate them. Navel licking is one thing, but that soon can become pee sucking. Don;t know what it does the the suckee but the sucker usually ends up doing poorly in comparison.

dun

You sure they are not licking at the sheath? It is common for bulls/steers to lick each other there especially during or after urination. Are you providing salt/mineral for your calves?

Howdy,
I am assuming they are new borns.

Usually a good dipping of thier umbilical cords with strong ticnture of iodine helps keep them off each other for a while.

Bottle feed more.

If these are young calves - you need to seperate them. They are acting on their desire to nurse on their momma. When she ain't there, they turn to whatever is. This can lead to the navel opening up from all of the sucking which then leads to infection which can lead to serious trouble. We have this problem frequently with our holstein bottle calves. Getting them to drinking from a bucket instead of the bottle helps a lot. Then they need time to get the nursing desire broken.

Some are worse than others about that. It seems like they are still really hungry after they have been fed the bottle. (Assuming they are bottle calves.) Spraying a little alum solution on the navel droop is a deterant. They don't like that bitter taste. If they are a large calf feeding a little more milk helps too.

Latest posts