How do you read EPD's

Help Support CattleToday:

Bozrah Angus

Reaction score
I don't understand how to enterpret some of the EPD data from bulls I am looking at. I understand BW birth weights in lbs., but when I look at this for example: BW 6.2 acc. 77%, WW 45.6 acc. 75%, YW 73.6 acc. 74% I'm lost can you help me? :?

It's pretty straightforward, Epds are a comparison of all sires or dams within a breed compared to each other. The more info there is from progeny recorded the higher the accuracy of the EPD for that trait. 6.2bw means that compared to other sires of the same breed his progeny will average 6.2lbs heavier at birth compared to a bull of the same breed who is 0 for bwepd. 77% accuracy tells me he is moderately proven, possibly not used across many herds with data recorded but better than a pedigree estimate.

robert":4bbl8uzz said:
It's pretty straightforward, Epds are a comparison of all sires or dams within a breed compared to each other. The more info there is from progeny recorded the higher the accuracy of the EPD for that trait. 6.2bw means that compared to other sires of the same breed his progeny will average 6.2lbs heavier at birth compared to a bull of the same breed who is 0 for bwepd. 77% accuracy tells me he is moderately proven, possibly not used across many herds with data recorded but better than a pedigree estimate.

Bozrah Angus-
Welcome to the CT Breeds Board! You will discover that many seemingly simple questions in your mind are realLy not so simple in their understanding, robert has presented a very concise answer to your questions regarding EPD's, and and he is absolutely correct - insofar as he has delved into the subject. Here are a few tips that I might suggest for you to really get a stronger hold on the subject:

1- Log onto the Internet and SEARCH the subject of "EPD's for Beef Cattle." In your particular circumstance, because you are raising Angus Cattle, you can contact the American Angus Association (http://www.angus.org/performance) for more extensive details. Request information on "Beef Improvement Records".
2- When the Letter "I" appears preceding the unit of measurement, it means that it is an "estimated" number because the animal in question is not old enough at the time of evaluation to accurately predict the actual performance record for that particular trait. The letter "I" stands for "Interim" - pending additional information for individual accuracies.
3- Also, or course, if a + or a - precedes the particular number for a trait or characteristic it means that the EPD is either more or less intensive for that trait relative to the progeny of other animals listed in the database.

Understanding EPD's and realizing HOW they can be used to improve the quality of the animals in your own seedstock herd can absolutely help you to gradually realize a greater profit from the production of your products, which is, of course, Beef Cattle, either Registered or Commercial. Every animal alive has EPD's - it all focuses on whether or not you know what they are, and can understand how to intelligently make the best use of the information available to you through their proper management and protocols.

DOC HARRIS

Here's an installment on understanding EPD accuracies that you might find helpful:

[youtube]mrsfs5Y8e6Q[/youtube]

This is a regular installment on The Angus Report, and updated segments can be found each week on http://www.angus.org on the videos page.

B.W. 6.7 .77 means the subject animal is or could be 6.7 lb's heve'er and the .77% is the accuracy. I personaly am not a big fan of epd's but they are here and are a tool to be used, alltho sparing'ly. Wonder sometimes if we aree'nt getting to depend on computers machines etc. too much. Maybe need to go back to grandpa and the eye of the master[ the ones who got us this far] ???

Beef Man":193xthrc said:
B.W. 6.7 .77 means the subject animal is or could be 6.7 lb's heve'er and the .77% is the accuracy. I personaly am not a big fan of epd's but they are here and are a tool to be used, alltho sparing'ly. Wonder sometimes if we aree'nt getting to depend on computers machines etc. too much. Maybe need to go back to grandpa and the eye of the master[ the ones who got us this far] ???
I agree, that we depend way too much on computers and other modern devices--especially those using advanced microchip technology. I said one time here at CT, that one day, cattle will be run thru a chute, with a scanning device that tells us every single thing imaginable about that animal, and spit out a reccomendation of what we should do with that particular animal. At that point, something special and pleasing in the cattle world will be lost. Won't happen in my lifetime, but it's coming. As far as the "grandpa" part, I'll comment on that in the ACV thread in the health and nutrition section.

Latest posts