How do cattle survive a polar vortex?

Help Support CattleToday:

CattleMan1920

Reaction score
-50 to -60 degrees below zero? How in God's name does a cattle operation deal with this? What do you do with the calves, how do the cows even nurse their calves, what happens to bulls?

https://www.axios.com/life-threatening-cold-polar-vortex-midwest-weather-dad70dfb-fb02-4cbb-8818-f6e84d364813.html

This was only -8 not sure what the wind chill was. But they had a nice layer of frost

I think Aaron is in the thick of it..

So far we've had a VERY mild winter, got down to about 10F for a week or so, currently 25F, daytime is above freezing

Elkhorn Ranch North Dakota, established by Teddy Roosevelt in 1884.
Winter of 1886-87 was one of the harshest on record in the last 200 years. 60% of Roosevelt's herd died that winter.
He quit ranching in the spring of 1887 due to what came to be called the starvation winter of '87.
As with most animal populations in extreme conditions 1/3 survive and go on to replenish the population or migrate
to areas with better living conditions.

Nesikep said:
I think Aaron is in the thick of it..

So far we've had a VERY mild winter, got down to about 10F for a week or so, currently 25F, daytime is above freezing

Supposed to hit between -55 to -60F (or possibly even below that) the next 3 days. National weather service out of Duluth, MN is saying International Falls, MN (me) is supposed to be colder than we have been for many years. The last time it hit -60, must have been close to a decade ago. I can't remember exactly because I think my brain froze for a short period then. Everything will be well fed and bedded out of the wind and then just cross fingers that everything wakes up the following morning. Sometimes they don't if they are old or weak. Right now, 5:30 AM it is -10F - almost a heat wave. :banana: :banana: :banana:

I can't eveb imagine that cold. No thanks. Going to have wind chill -10+ here the next couple days, that's plenty for me. Won't be much sleeping going on, has not been the greatest year for Jan calving

T & B farms said:
I can't eveb imagine that cold. No thanks. Going to have wind chill -10+ here the next couple days, that's plenty for me. Won't be much sleeping going on, has not been the greatest year for Jan calving

Kentucky probably gets about the same weather as you get in SE Kansas. It has been brutal over here. That is why I prefer early fall calving.

Bright Raven said:
T & B farms said:

Kentucky probably gets about the same weather as you get in SE Kansas. It has been brutal over here. That is why I prefer early fall calving.

I think the Ky temperatures are about the same, but that Kansas wind is a killer when it is cold!

When it gets really cool here we feed every day and set out 8 - 10 rolls of our poorest hay for bedding and hope for the best. Any thing below 20 is to dang cold for man or beast.

Wow, the coldest we have ever experienced here is around 20f. Can't imagine what colder than that is like! Mind you we do get a lot of days up around 110. Hottest i remember was 116 back in 91. It was 101f today, that'd melt some snow!

The lowest temp here which I remember was -31F. Luckily the lowest this year was -4. Last year it was down to -15 and we had some cows calving then. Remember covering calves deeply in bedding and leaving them for the night. If temp was as low as -60, there would be very few survivors...

Here(Manitoba) we'll hit a stretch of -40F every winter. For the most part the cattle do fine, just eat a ton and suffer through it. We have lots of bush and try to feed close to one that blocks whatever wind we have that day(we had all 4 directions this last week). Feed good hay when its cold.
We do cow/calf and calve in April so no calves on the cows during this weather for the most part. Last spring we had weird weather and it hit -20F and below in April for about a week. At that point calving gets hard. Checks on the cows calving every hour 24 hours a day, if anyone calved put the calf in the sleigh and take to the garage to a pen beside a wood stove. Put a fire on and dry the calf. Let it sleep and dry for an hour or 2. On with the earmuffs and back out to momma for a suck (daytime) or dried colostrum and wait till morning. Try to keep the muffs on for a couple days if possible. Chapping on the udder can get a little rough but only a week so when it warmed up it got better. Big operations calving January/February around here need big barns and usually have a heated/insulated pen or two. Don't tag calves when it's really cold - tagging messes up the circulation and the ear can freeze up to the tag. For the most part after a couple days the calves are good with shelter and lots of bedding. If it's warmer than 14F they don't need any assistance during the day, maybe towel off at night or heifer doesn't lick it good enough.
Bulls - you need to watch their scrotum in the spring for signs of frostbite on the bottom, semen test is important. Ideally lots of shelter and lots of bedding. Something I admit we need to work on.

Herefords have a wooly coat, and will wake up with a coating of white on them.
Shiny straight haired stuff has to hump up till the grain cart shows up, or the weather changes.

Cattle can handle that weather as long type of weather as the following are in hand:

1. Healthy animals.
2. A good layer of fat - no thin cows.
3. Well fed.
4. Well bedded.
5. Out of the wind and capable of getting in to the sun.
6. Well watered. (Yes because when they eat snow they have to use body heat to melt it)
7. Some grain or corn to keep energy levels up.

I can honestly state I have been in those temps with cattle and done quite well. In my opinion, the often maligned Hereford manages this and probably better than most breeds - however almost all breeds can handle this weather when the above conditions are met.

Best to all.

I always noticed that cows that ate snow just lick a little here and there and show no ill effects from the cold. I have also watched cattle come to water and take on several gallons then hump up and shiver for awhile. So I'm not convinced water is better for them fighting the cold. I would agree that less food energy is consumed though. Having said that, after many years of our cows using snow as their winter water source I have had them on water for a few years now and if nothing else I feel better about it. :nod:
I also think that cows are better equipped to deal with extreme cold than extreme heat.
A place to get them out of the wind and some bedding is of course also important.

The main thing is to have a plan.
Windbreaks, emergency bedding, extra feed and water sources with insulated water pipes.
Warm clothes, dress in layers and Good Boots. Be aware of hypothermia. If you or others start to shiver, lack energy, start to mumble or become clumsy, get them indoors to warm up. Plan on taking a couple of breaks just to warm up.

Silver said:
I always noticed that cows that ate snow just lick a little here and there and show no ill effects from the cold. I have also watched cattle come to water and take on several gallons then hump up and shiver for awhile. So I'm not convinced water is better for them fighting the cold. I would agree that less food energy is consumed though. Having said that, after many years of our cows using snow as their winter water source I have had them on water for a few years now and if nothing else I feel better about it. :nod:
I also think that cows are better equipped to deal with extreme cold than extreme heat.
A place to get them out of the wind and some bedding is of course also important.

I agree with part of your post but if cows aren't consuming dry matter in extreme cold they are going backwards. The rumen that is full and functioning is producing heat to keep them warm.

Son of Butch said:
The main thing is to have a plan.
Windbreaks, emergency bedding, extra feed and water sources with insulated water pipes.
Warm clothes, dress in layers and Good Boots. Be aware of hypothermia. If you or others start to shiver, "lack energy, start to mumble or become clumsy", get them indoors to warm up. Plan on taking a couple of breaks just to warm up.
"
lack of energy, mumbles, clumsy "
I might have hypothermia :lol2:

W.B. said:
Silver said:

I agree with part of your post but if cows aren't consuming dry matter in extreme cold they are going backwards. The rumen that is full and functioning is producing heat to keep them warm.

I was referring to the energy requirements for melting consumed snow vs. water.

Latest posts