How Cold is Too Cold?

Help Support CattleToday:

dun
I would say that you were very lucky with those two calves. Glad that they made it and had no problems. 15 is cold enough to calve in. But i don't care how strong and tough the calves are after it hits 0 degrees and drops sometimes to daytime highs of-20 degrees plus a windchill on top of that calves freeze within minutes of being born. that is our Jan- March weather most years in this neck of the woods and the temps are in fahrenhiet.

TK

TK Ranch":z2jo64r7 said:
dun
I would say that you were very lucky with those two calves. Glad that they made it and had no problems. 15 is cold enough to calve in. But i don't care how strong and tough the calves are after it hits 0 degrees and drops sometimes to daytime highs of-20 degrees plus a windchill on top of that calves freeze within minutes of being born. that is our Jan- March weather most years in this neck of the woods and the temps are in fahrenhiet.

TK

I agree that we were lucky, but the point is that a calf can withstand a lot more then would generally be expected.
It's better to calve on snow then mud if the area is prone to a severe mud season. If it's still in the zero range in march I doubt if your grass gets growing well in late march early april either. Each area has it's own concerns for timing of calving/breeding.

dun

frenchie":1d8r7har said:
msscamp":1d8r7har said:
eric":1d8r7har said:
when it gets (and stays) below 0º for days on end, how do u keep your water lines from freezing?

Here in Wyoming, all water lines are buried beneath the frost line (somewhere around 4-6'). .

We have to go at least 8 ft here. More if there is traffic above the line.

In all honesty, our water lines are usually buried at least 10' - more if there is traffic.

Latest posts