How Cold is Too Cold?

Help Support CattleToday:

TxCoUnTrYbOy

Reaction score
Ok, this is definately a newbie question, but for a Brahman, when is it too cold to be outside of the barn? We barely ever get below freezing down here in Houston. I know cattle stay out in pastures in a lot colder, but mine out ouside where they cant bunch up to stay warm. I let them out in the mornings about 6 (tomorrow it should be low 30s at that time). They stay inside the barn at night, but the bull is gonna start breaking stuff when he gets bored in that little pen for too long.

They can stay outside 24x7 in your area. It is not going to get cold enough to hurt them.

Low 30's and you're concerned they can't deal outside? Maybe you need to find a little hardier breed of cattle, or could it be you just need to get a grip?

I"m about 70 miles north of Houston, My cows have never seen a barn. Even on the few occasions we've had 16 degree weather for a few days runnin with freezin rain, they do fine.

Back in the first few months of '03 we were hit with some amazing snowfall and low temperatures. The first week of february saw over two feet of snow and 18-20 degree weather. We had five of them calve out that week, & they all made it through just fine. Our cattle never see a barn or shed and take the cold and heat in stride. The cow is a truly amazing animal, I tell you what.

and back to the original question... how cold is too cold?

Beefy":14qj8zt8 said:
whatever, 30 degrees is cold as balls.

13 degrees Fahrenheit at my house this morning. Baldy calves running around playing like they love it. :D

certherfbeef":6dmk7tul said:
TxCoUnTrYbOy":6dmk7tul said:
(tomorrow it should be low 30s at that time).

This is just too funny. You Texans are wimps!!!

LOL! :lol: (I agree!)

Here in South Dakota I had 3 deg F @ 6:10am. In responce to your question, cattle really dont mind the cold. Ask an animal science grad and they will probably tell you that cattle are within there comfort zone at about 15-20 deg F.

This far north (South Dakota) we'll have mornings @ -25 deg F (ambient air temp) in another month or two. It seems the most important thing when the temp gets down to this range is increased feed rations (+10%), a suitable windbreak, and we usually provide sometype of bedding (cornstalks, oatstraw). The wind is probably the hardest on them when temps get this low. If they can get out of the wind, they dont mind the cold one bit.

We run in the neighborhood of 300 cows and although we winter them up close to the farm, most have never seen the barn aside from recieving vaccinations.

Bring on the cold! I'm shining up the blades on my ice auger!!

10023411405alice-med.jpg
(alt+p)

We have some new neighbors, I don't know where they are from, they bought about 40 acres, and built 2 big huge nice horse barns, each horse has it's own stall, and if it gets down to about 50 degrees, they all have blankets on when turned out. :shock: My horses stay turned out year around down here. Only thing they have is a small covered shed to get under if it's rainin super bad, but even then they prefer the woods to the shed.

Cattle and horses have body temperatures higher than humans do. They are VERY cold tolerant animals. The biggest risk with livestock is WET, COLD WIND. As long as the animal can stay reasonably dry and out of cold, wet wind, they will be ok. They need some kind of windbreak (loafing shed, shrubs, tree cover, etc.) in those "bad" conditions. New born calves should always have protection from real cold until they are up and running good.

Most important thing IMO is to provide plenty of protein rich hay (supplemented by range cubes as needed) and good water when the weather is cold and bad. Digestion of hay creates body heat. They should have access to all the hay they want to eat 24/7.

In our area, when IMO the outside weather is darn too nasty for me to be out in it, some of our livestock will be in pasture or paddock grazing or standing with backside to wind or blowing rain, even if their loafing shed is close to them. Others will be in and out of the shed.

If one's cattle are usually kept in a "warmer protected area" (e.g., shed or barn) their normal winter coats will not grow out as soon and as thick. Leaving them outside (with access to a shed if they want to use it) allows nature to grow them a heaver coat of hair for winter. (For example: Hair coats of Yaks, or the Ice Age Mastadon's. Alaskan Huskies vs. Smooth short coats of Southern hemisphere dogs)

Just like Cornstalk said the secret is stopping the wind and let them eat lots.Our cows don't see a shelter or a barn and it got to -25c or I think that would be -11f last night. We feed and bed in a cut line so the wind is next to nothing.

It's not unusual to drop below forty degrees here during the course of a regular winter. A week or two sitting steady at minus thirty is usual, too.

I do remember one extremely cold winter about ten years back - mercury on the thermometer was in the ball at the bottom - not even creeping up to minus 60. Brrr. But we do have pretty hardy stock, so just pile on the feed and throw another log on the fire when you get in from choring.

Anyway, I think what the original question was had more to do with how cold a Brahma type animal can handle. Anyone?

To answer that question we run Santa Gertrudis and it doesn't get much colder than where we are. it can be below - 20 for quite some time with a nasty windchill and gets worse at night. lots of feed and lots of straw and keep them in the trees. The only time I saw -60 was in Coppermine NWT. However we have a electronic thermometer that won't register below -40 and a few times last year when i woke up it was - ??? on the display

There are charts that outline the temperature ranges and weather conditions in determining the winter stress factors and the amount of feed necessary to compensate for the extra energy needed to maintain condition and growth. Studies at the University of Alberta deal with this subject...worth the read.
If you like I can email you a copy...PM me with your email address. Dave Mc

Crowderfarms":1qatk9re said:
16 here. Cold enough.Cows are eating rolls like an all you can eat special at a greasy spoon.

I put hay out in August. When that was gone the grass had grown a spurt with fall rains and warmer than normal temps. Killing frost late in September. The cows are still eating that grass.
18 here this morning wind chill below 0 and snowing. When I rode out to check on things this morn the cattle were on the top of the hill with their butts to the wind grazing. All have more than enough winter hair on them.

one february a few years ago it had rained heavy then froze then snowed and i had these brahman heifers i had just fed and well this one decides to walk right out in the middle of a low place that was frozen over she does the splits and falls through wont get up soak & wet i was going to pull her out with the tractor but i thought i would try the hotshot first it got her out but she stayed out all night in wind chill below 0. they are tougher than you think

TCB --- I can't say how cold is too cold for a fullblooded Brahman. But dry and windless cold air is much easier for them (or any animal) to take than wet and windy cold. As you know, here in Houston we can have quite a few days in winter when it rains or drizzles all day, is windy, temperature stays in the mid to upper thirties, along with water puddled all over the place in the pastures. I'd guess that your Brahman's will definitely be uncomfortable in such weather, but it's not going to kill 'em! They are simply not made to take the same weather that English or Continental cattle take. They'd be better off with colder air and snow on their backs than with a constantly wet hide. If you have no shelter for them to use, if they so desire, in our "bad" weather then the best thing you can do for them, IMO, is simply to make sure they have a belly full of good hay. I've been in weather well below zero in Colorado and in Alberta and yet felt much less discomfort than I've felt while hunting geese on the prairies west of Houston on windy, drizzly days when it was just above freezing. I'll take very cold, dry air over wet & chilly air any day of the week and twice on Sunday!

I'm fairly fascinated by TK Ranch and "bward" 's ability to successfully run Gert's way up in Manitoba and Alberta. That 5/8th's Shorthorn blood sure must add some major league cold hardiness.

Latest posts