How Can I Remove Decals From My Truck

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
Getting my old truck ready to advertise & sell. Have several vinyl decals on it and want to remove them before selling truck. Been on truck for several years. I heard you need to use hair dryer or heat gun to loosen them... Appreciate any tips anyone has to remove decals.

Thanks,
Bill

Just start on a corner and try to keep the heat on the sticker or decal. A heat gun will peel the paint off the truck also, just don't use any more heat than you have to. About the time you finish you'll have it figured out.

Goof-off will soften the decal and it should peel off. Just rub some on, wait a minute, and start peeling it off. If it gets stubborn, you can put a little more on, and the stuff is great for taking any residue off. If you use a hair dryer or heat gun, keep it moving so as not to scortch the paint.

Angus Cowman":1a2gevb0 said:
check with the company that put them on
they have a product that helps soften the glue on the decals and works really well when used with a heat gun

I put the stickers on... They are our Ranch Signage & other decals (such as NRA...). ;-)

Running Arrow Bill":51k3nvvf said:
Angus Cowman":51k3nvvf said:
check with the company that put them on
they have a product that helps soften the glue on the decals and works really well when used with a heat gun

I put the stickers on... They are our Ranch Signage & other decals (such as NRA...). ;-)
ok who made your ranch sign they could probably give you some info unless you just bought letters and did it yourself

Got all decals off... Used hair dryer plus putty knife. Didn't scratch the OLD truck...lol. Thanks y'all!

Next job is to use a solvent to remove the sticky residue, then go wash the truck...

Running Arrow Bill":end9t37l said:
Got all decals off... Used hair dryer plus putty knife. Didn't scratch the OLD truck...lol. Thanks y'all!

Next job is to use a solvent to remove the sticky residue, then go wash the truck...

Glad ya got'em off RAB.I was gonna suggest a 3lb hammer and a chisel. :lol:

Cal

Calman":1pd6xbdi said:
Running Arrow Bill":1pd6xbdi said:

Glad ya got'em off RAB.I was gonna suggest a 3lb hammer and a chisel. :lol:

Cal

Now don't you think that is a little overkill??? Heck a 4" grinder would have done a good job also!!!! :D :shock:

Just an FYI there is an "eraser", that can be purchased from most any auto parts store, that is used on a drill to remove stickers (body shop use it to remove pinstriping and such). Works well but may leave a little sticky residue. Can be used on any surface including windows.

UPDATE:

As I posted yesterday, I effectively removed the decals on the old truck using a hair dryer and a putty knife. Next thing will be to use a solvent to remove sticky residue.

Note to Mel:

The vinyl decals are on our vehicles. Advertising for our business. Also, along with our Farm License Plates, this lends more credibility to our tax write-offs for our business. Our trucks are not "pleasure show trucks"...they are working business trucks... lol.

Removed sticky residue from truck after removing decals.

.35 cents worth of gasoline
6 paper towels
Elbow grease
Total investment: .38 cents. [NOT "as seen on TV"...lol]

Just a "farm & rancher" solution to a problem... [No need for "miracle products" sold on TV, Etc.]

Priceless...

;-)

Latest posts