How about this salt/mineral mix?

Help Support CattleToday:

2/B or not 2/B

Reaction score
This is a custom mix for my area, but I was just wondering if anything about it stands out good or bad, and what is the significance of the added protein? Is that why it's so expensive? I like it, the cattle like it, but they go through it quick and it's not cheap. It looks like dark brown sand/dirt, smells like licorice, costs $12 for 50 lbs. Recommended intake is 1.5 lbs per head per day, but I don't think they take quite that much. Just checking b/c I have a couple of other options and just want to go with something high quality to complement the native pasture...

Crude Protein Min 23%
Crude Fat Min 1.5%
Calcium Min .5/Max 1%
Phos Min .7%
Sodium Max 14%
Mag Min .3%
Salt Min 33/Max 35%
Potassium Min .8%
Zinc Min 125 ppm
Copper Min 18 ppm
Selenium Min 4/Max 4.4 ppm

Ingredients: Canola Meal, Salt, Soybean Meal, Ground Limestone, Zinc Sulfate, Added Flavors, Dicalcium Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Manganese Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate, Mineral Oil, Sodium Selenite

Thanks!

The reason for the high proteien is to better utelise dry grass. You are basically feeding the microbes in the rumen with the extra protein. In turn they break the cellulose in dry grass better into usable micronutrients for the cattle to use.

It is probably the protein and the fact that its a natural protein instead of from Urea that adds to the cost. I would definately use this mix in a drought, but in better grazing conditions the extra protein isn't neccesary.

You could always add salt to the mix to limit the intake in better times.

KNERSIE":3a84191r said:
The reason for the high proteien is to better utelise dry grass. You are basically feeding the microbes in the rumen with the extra protein. In turn they break the cellulose in dry grass better into usable micronutrients for the cattle to use.

It is probably the protein and the fact that its a natural protein instead of from Urea that adds to the cost. I would definately use this mix in a drought, but in better grazing conditions the extra protein isn't neccesary.

Add Salt? Seems it is nearly all salt now.

2/B down here where I am that would simply be what most refer to as "Range Meal" with a salt limiter. Nothing exceptional about it other than the high protein and highly elevated selenium levels. Look more like something I'd feed in the winter maybe. Pretty pricey as well for what you're getting. It's definitely not a "mineral".

JMichal":21yrbtmf said:
KNERSIE":21yrbtmf said:

Add Salt? Seems it is nearly all salt now.

Adding salt is widely used to lower palatibility and to lower intake in cases where the supplement is substituting the forage. You want to more or less stick to the recommended intake per head per day. As soon as they eat more than that they are substituting the forage for the supplement, that is when adding salt is a usefull tool.

KNERSIE":13fp19b5 said:
[
Adding salt is widely used to lower palatibility and to lower intake in cases where the supplement is substituting the forage. You want to more or less stick to the recommended intake per head per day. As soon as they eat more than that they are substituting the forage for the supplement, that is when adding salt is a usefull tool.

With this mix I assure you overeating won't be a problem. It's alreadys 1/3 salt. A lot of old timers use to make this mix on the farm....2 parts cottomseed meal or soyben meal and 1 part salt..but no vitamins/minerals.

TexasBred":2xyt8pkl said:
2/B down here where I am that would simply be what most refer to as "Range Meal" with a salt limiter. Nothing exceptional about it other than the high protein and highly elevated selenium levels. Look more like something I'd feed in the winter maybe. Pretty pricey as well for what you're getting. It's definitely not a "mineral".

Thank you, Knersie and TB. That makes sense. Our pastures are in good shape and don't think I need a mix like this until later when they dry out.