How about the cutest bovine?

Help Support CattleToday:

DOC HARRIS":245i6su4 said:
Very close breeding (In-Breeding) such as this - brother sister - will exacerbate traits and characteristics exponentially, sometimes to a advantage for the breeder and sometimes to an impediment, opening a "Pandora's Box" of problems. Some of those problems and potential troubles appear in these pictures of these "cute" little "Ah-h-h-h Inspiring" results of "Horseplay" breeding. You mentioned the purpose was for "Horn Genetics", as if that would seem to be a justification for experimenting with Mendel's Laws of Inheritance - -HOWEVER - - if you will look carefully at the heifer's hock set and knees you will notice that she is abjectly cow hocked AND sickle-hocked, along with front splay-footedness carrying on to her 16 month's picture, which defect does not bode well for longevity or the production of desirable breeding progeny, whatever the genetic purpose may be at the outset! You are selecting for "HORN" to the detriment of most of the 'functional' characteristics which define a financially proficient member of the breeding herd.

In aggressively pursuing the homozygosity of "Horn" production to the detriment of Functional and Growth Characteristics, along with other multi-trait selection indexes, the dollar value and profit margin components are insignificant and have no relationship to engaging in a profitable enterprise.

Are we marketing "Cute" and/or "Horn" - or Tax Deduction?

DOC HARRIS

DOC, thank you for this post. There are many longhorn breeders out there breeding just like you said, for the homozygosity of "Horn" production, and they do not realize the detriment they are causing the rest of the animal and the breed. I have seen 4 or 5 year old "big-horned" females sell multiple times for "big" money, that have never had a calf....and the worst part, the owners dont even care. Plus, there are too many of them that would think they are supposed to be cow-hocked, because they are cows. Just don't know what they are looking at when they see a Longhorn, unless they are looking at a tape measure.

Thank you again for that post. I might referrence it some or quote some of it, of course that's if you do not mind.

Ryan

I've also seen show cattle so over conditioned that they can't breed. We had one at out affiliate show last year that was ready for the freezer for sure. Two different breed judges placed her low because she was so overly obese and commented on whether she would be able to breed. She was a nice sized black and white speckled heifer, had decent horns for a show animal but was probably the fattest Longhorn heifer that I had ever seen. Later one of the judges told me that in his opinion a Longhorn should never be forced to look like that, it was certainly out of character for the breed.

I just gotta say it again, this must be my favorite thread ever...these are wonderful pictures to see, they all make me smile and laugh. Thanks everyone!

Rustler9":2pxrkj10 said:
Doc,
I understand that you don't like this breed of cattle and I could absolutely care less. You should also pay more attention to what I wrote when I posted the pictures. The heifer is not the product of the brother and sister mating. The blazed face bull calf is the product of that mating. Also, take note of how I made the picture as she was walking away from me. I realize that this is not a great photo but she actually was not cooperating when I made the photo. At one week of age the calf was also standing somewhat down hill from me. We have alot of hills in middle Tennessee and it's sometimes hard to get that perfect shot. I don't do alot of close breeding but what I've done so far I've been more than satisfied with and have done nothing that is detrimental to my herd.
Roger-

Your conclusion that I "don't like this breed of cattle" is based on assumptions and not verifiable facts. I don't like or dislike "this breed of cattle" any more or less than many, many other breeds of cattle. I regret that you took offense at my comments relating to the pictures you posted. You are right - I did misunderstand which picture you were referriing to regarding the brother-sister mating, BUT the genetic realities at the core of the post are just as true whether the phenotype is demonstrable or not. Brother-sister matings are as "close" genetically as can be done, short of cloning. In all close-breeding, line-breeding or in-breeding matings all genetic traits are exemplified and intensified - both good and bad - and it requires very careful selection practices to avoid a disastrous crash involving the future of a particular line of breeding.

I had no desire to infringe upon your choice of breed of cattle in your operation, and I hope that your breeding practices continue to satisfy your wishes in your program. My concern when viewing the heifer in the two pictures was her leg set in whatever attitude she was expresssing. Those traits will manifest themselves in future generations, as has the so-called "wildness" characteristics which present themselves even today spinning down from Emulation 31 and his son N Bar Emulation EXT.

DOC HARRIS

Doc,
Sorry if I was a little harsh. I do understand the pros and cons of close breeding somewhat. I know that the possiblity of magnifying either the good or bad traits in an animal is intensified. I felt that the animals that I put in this mating were justified in doing so. Many great animals in this breed have been products of linebreeding in the past. Thanks.

Roger

"What are you looking at???!!"

DaisyMae.jpg

---------------------------------------------

"Hello! Are you my guard dog?"

bustercalf.jpg

Rustler9":79r3hcn6 said:
I've also seen show cattle so over conditioned that they can't breed. We had one at out affiliate show last year that was ready for the freezer for sure. Two different breed judges placed her low because she was so overly obese and commented on whether she would be able to breed. She was a nice sized black and white speckled heifer, had decent horns for a show animal but was probably the fattest Longhorn heifer that I had ever seen. Later one of the judges told me that in his opinion a Longhorn should never be forced to look like that, it was certainly out of character for the breed.

thats bad management. someone overfeeding an animal. i hate that just as much as anyone, one of the best ways to ruin an animal. you can't feed in better genetics.

Ryan, those are beautiful animals. Mom looks so regal...and the calf looks like it feels so safe...and carefree.

Calf also looks like it's got a "Mohican do" goin' on there...

Alice

Cowgirl, the facial expressions on your calves are priceless...and TR, I'm in love with that baby in the first picture. Reminds of one that we still have here...but she's a lot bigger now.

Alice

Latest posts