How’s your grass?

Help Support CattleToday:

2011 we had 71 straight 100+ days, other places in the state went longer. Creeks went dry as well, we're not there yet.
Weather forecast shows no relief for the next 10 days.
2011 was bad for us as well. Like 63 days over 100.
Overnights were in high 80s and into the 90s some night too.

2012 was near as bad.

I remember them mostly because the a/c took a crap and we were very poor. Still are! But the only A/C was in the master bedroom. A very very old window unit that worked like a freaking champ!

I had not started with cattle yet. But I don't remember mowing much those years

and now the best chance of rain (36%) has been pushed back to the 22nd...highs remain in the 100+ range for the next 10 days...sigh
However, on weather.com, it says high temp for this coming Tuesday is 97...I guess we had better get them coats out...a cold front is coming...you know it's bad when upper 90's would be a relief...sigh

Leaves on the trees are brown. Looks like fall but feels like hell!
You ain't seen hell yet!
One extreme is followed by another.
Get your chainsaws in good working order, your going to find out about dead trees.
Cutting dead trees is as dangerous as whipping your butt with a broke mason jar!

However, on weather.com, it says high temp for this coming Tuesday is 97...I guess we had better get them coats out...a cold front is coming...you know it's bad when upper 90's would be a relief...sigh
I'll be riding with the windows down hanging my arm out when it hits 97. 😄

2011 we had 71 straight 100+ days, other places in the state went longer. Creeks went dry as well, we're not there yet.
Weather forecast shows no relief for the next 10 days.
The biggest difference between this year and last is that our tanks have a lot more water in them than last summer.

Our neighbor had his best corn crop in years, then the rain stopped. He runs his cattle on the corn stubble, but his lease property has something to do with the city, and they removed a fence So that he lost his water supply on the stubble field. We're trading water from a hose run from our house to a big stock tank for him, for hay for us (with reimbursement for what will likely be ridiculous water bills) the extra bonus is that a lot of his corn shucks and leaves blown into our cow pens, so we have some "free" filler. Since we haven't had measurable rain in over 90 days, we'll take it as a blessing…kind of a cow version of manna.

Attachments

• 47CA8BB2-C520-409F-A0DD-0D800C6E3062.jpeg
    47CA8BB2-C520-409F-A0DD-0D800C6E3062.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Finally got all of the trees that went down this spring cleared except for moving one big trunk - already cut up - just need to move it. For the record, this is not the best weather for chainsaw work. One fence left to fix. Sure wish it would rain…forecast now showing 58% chance on the 22nd…correction: that's for Houston…our next best chance is 44% on the 25th…100+ degrees as far as the eye can see…sigh

Last edited:
Well, it ALMOST rained yesterday evening. Thunderheads built, lightning flashes, thunder and wind and the temp quickly dropped from 106F to about 100 in the span of 20-30 minutes but nary a drop of moisture fell.

Latest posts