How’s your grass?

Help Support CattleToday:

We were getting pretty dry again. Short grass was getting a bit crispy. Light on and off rain all day today. Might get a bit more tonight. It was nice to take a break from the swather for sure. I've been running pretty hard. Up at 6 and bed around midnight. Work in the heat all day at my day job. A/C in the equipment. But that day job/heat makes it hard to perform!!

Lots of rest today. Even got a nap!
Got plenty of hay put up for my girls this winter. Tho I'd like a few more bales of grass hay to go with my crabgrass.

Hoping for more rains down south guys. Hang in there!

I picked up 3 bales yesterday evening and told my hay guy to bring me 40 on Thursday. I'm taking a steer to freezer camp Thursday and will be down to 7 cows. If we start getting some rain this fall, I plan on getting 3-5 more head in December.
I am at 7 cows and a bull on a place that I ran 35 pair for years. I held on to 18 in the 2011 drought.
What popped us on this one was we had an exceptionally cool spring and our growing season was setback at least six weeks. When we got nighttime temperatures above 65 we didn't get any rainfall.

Grass???? I don't have any. Just dirt. Spoke with the YM who is leasing my property and told him he needs to start putting hay out. Cattle are just walking and bawling. My stocks tanks are down about 4 feet. Turned the pump on Thursday and maybe they will be full of water by Monday. It's pretty bad in S. Texas.

I found out where the green grass has been hanging out.

Spent the weekend in Oklahoma City. Nothing green between home and their. Friday was as hot as back home at 101F. Saturday was quite nice. Raining just north of us and stayed under 90F till later in the afternoon when those rain chances played out. Topped out about 95F.

Left for Branson MO this morning and started greening up the closer we got to Tulsa. Got on the other side and lots of green unstressed grass every where. Still haven't seen rain but it's clearly evident it has been residing in the area.

We had that 1.5" around the house and it perked things up nice. A place furthest north did let get that much and was burnt up first of the week. Far south is smoked and has been for a while. Around the house every thing had nice green tint Monday. By today is was all browning again if it isnt getting shade.

We had that 1.5" around the house and it perked things up nice. A place furthest north did let get that much and was burnt up first of the week. Far south is smoked and has been for a while. Around the house every thing had nice green tint Monday. By today is was all browning again if it isnt getting shade.
must be nice...we haven't seen a drop

Sure would be nice if we could "share" the weather at will! Told our hay guy we were ready for dry 2nd cutting 2 weeks ago. Nope - not getting done. But, I would rather be in my circumstance than yours. Praying for rain where it's NEEDED.
Supposed to get even worse this weekend through about Monday (105+ degrees). According to forecasts, we might be back down into the 90's next week with the best chance of rain (about 35%) around Wednesday or Thursday but that seems to get pushed back a day every time you turn around. Cows still look OK...they aren't eating as much of the hay I put out as I thought they would...they're finding something somewhere to eat...so I'll keep on with the cubes and hay as needed...but it needs to rain...and soon

We haven't been having the hot weather but we haven't seen hardly a drop of rain in 6 weeks or so. Grass is all but burnt up, pastures are stretched thin, and cows are being sold. I just bought another farm this spring so I'm lucky to have an over abundance of hay and pasture so I won't have to sell cows this time around.

We had a 50% first/only crop of hay. (2nd cutting really isn't a thing UP north here).

If the temps drop into the 90's next week, it will be a week earlier than last August...so there's that...best chance of rain (47%) just bumped back to the 18th...I think the weather folks are doing this on purpose <adjusts tin foil hat>

Last tuesday when I went to bed we had an 80% chance of over 1" of rain on Wednesday.

Wednesday came and not only did if not rain anyplace in 100 miles of here but it was also 100% sunny at hot.

Weather guessers were have been so far off its not even funny anymore.

If the temps drop into the 90's next week, it will be a week earlier than last August...so there's that...best chance of rain (47%) just bumped back to the 18th...I think the weather folks are doing this on purpose <adjusts tin foil hat>

Attachments

• East Texas August 2023.png
    East Texas August 2023.png
    121.3 KB · Views: 3
Well, crap...just refreshed the forecast page...next decent chance of rain (37%) has been moved back to the 20th...that means this week and next week are looking pretty rough...sigh...shows 24% chance of rain on the 15th...wouldn't that be nice?

Attachments

• East Texas - August.jpg
    East Texas - August.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 4
Well, crap...just refreshed the forecast page...next decent chance of rain (37%) has been moved back to the 20th...that means this week and next week are looking pretty rough...sigh...shows 24% chance of rain on the 15th...wouldn't that be nice?
We aren't known for rain in August or September.

That said, not necessarily a bad thing because we're having the dam completely redone in that pond and he's even going to pull out all the stumps of the trees that were cut down (gotta take advantage of the situation).
Quoting my own post, we did get the dam redone and I couldn't be happier. Had enough rain to almost fill the pond, due to the runoff from the spring fed pond across the road and a culvert that runs under the road. Anyway, couldn't pull the stumps by that time BUT they took down a ton of trees that were around the creek from the overflow and dug out a new pond on the other side. Not 100% sure, but they think there's a spring there as well. Who knew a dam would make me this happy?
1691533033901.jpeg
1691533057159.jpeg
1691533084085.jpeg

You guys wont beleive this but way up here it's been hot and dry most of July and August. So dry the leaves on birch trees on south side of hills are limp as wet spinach. It did rain under 1/4" last afternoon, brief thunder storm, already dust starting ta fly again. Second cutting of hay don't look very good and is starting to head out under a foot tall, not good

It's been 100+ degrees for I don't know how many days here with no relief in sight.
Grass is turning browner by the day.
2011 we had 71 straight 100+ days, other places in the state went longer. Creeks went dry as well, we're not there yet.
Weather forecast shows no relief for the next 10 days.

Latest posts