How’s your grass?

Help Support CattleToday:

My husband and I just had the same discussion yesterday evening.
Local sale had another big run this week with 1/3 being cows....drought selling for sure.

Pray for rain!
We are having big sell outs again this year, what will that do to the price of cows next year if most of them are going to slaughter?

At the ranch west of Rawlins my uncle said they got a little over an inch. Going out to the ranch house the ditch on each side of the road was full of water. When I was on my way home for the ranch last night there was a draw that I normally can't see water in that was full near Muddy Gap. Yet here in Riverton we didn't get much.

Cattle pulling it up on south pasture. Every storm looks really good coming out of Chattanooga by the time it hits Chatsworth up against the mountains it just disappears, incredible how many times over the last 3 years we've seen that happen.
we are so dry in this part of the North Georgia mountains that it would take weeks of rain to catch us up.
It's been a tough 3 years. It really hurts this time of year whenever you can't put them out to pasture.

IMG_20230803_071644910.jpg

Cattle pulling it up on south pasture. Every storm looks really good coming out of Chattanooga by the time it hits Chatsworth up against the mountains it just disappears, incredible how many times over the last 3 years we've seen that happen.
we are so dry in this part of the North Georgia mountains that it would take weeks of rain to catch us up.
It's been a tough 3 years. It really hurts this time of year whenever you can't put them out to pasture.

View attachment 33384
Notice the roots are almost the same legnth as the top. The reason not to graze too short.

Notice the roots are almost the same legnth as the top. The reason not to graze too short.
Yes this south pasture area has been overloaded for months. 😐
Been waiting over 1 yr on a well to get drilled at the new north pasture. Still no well. It's ridiculous people are backlogged over a year.
Been hauling 300 gallon every few days just for the steers on north pasture.
Got plenty of room to move them to new pasture but just don't have enough water yet.

Yes this south pasture area has been overloaded for months. 😐
Been waiting over 1 yr on a well to get drilled at the new north pasture. Still no well. It's ridiculous people are backlogged over a year.
Been hauling 300 gallon every few days just for the steers on north pasture.
Got plenty of room to move them to new pasture but just don't have enough water yet.
I've been hauling 265 gallon a day since last August.

I'd LOVE to only haul 3 times a week!!!

I loaded cattle last night and this morning going on their final ride. Helped a neighbor and friend. Neighbor down the road called yesterday wanting to borrow my trailer to haul to Nacogdoches Thursday. We're in severe. Have a funeral tomorrow afternoon, told Mt sister preacher better keep it real short or they will have more old folks to bury.
IMG_2877.png

I'm
I loaded cattle last night and this morning going on their final ride. Helped a neighbor and friend. Neighbor down the road called yesterday wanting to borrow my trailer to haul to Nacogdoches Thursday. We're in severe. Have a funeral tomorrow afternoon, told Mt sister preacher better keep it real short or they will have more old folks to bury.
View attachment 33477
somewhere in the moderate to severe section of this map here

I'm

somewhere in the moderate to severe section of this map here
I pray you get rain soon!
Unless we get something tropical, I don't see many recovering or wanting too at our age.
Jacob's well in Wimberly has been closed since last spring.
Too many people pulling out the aquifer in a drought.
The aquifer that feeds my creek is still running.

I pray you get rain soon!
Unless we get something tropical, I don't see many recovering or wanting too at our age.
Jacob's well in Wimberly has been closed since last spring.
Too many people pulling out the aquifer in a drought.
The aquifer that feeds my creek is still running.
Lots of people unloading cows again this year.
We have plenty hay and will hold on to the best cows.

I picked up 3 bales yesterday evening and told my hay guy to bring me 40 on Thursday. I'm taking a steer to freezer camp Thursday and will be down to 7 cows. If we start getting some rain this fall, I plan on getting 3-5 more head in December.

I picked up 3 bales yesterday evening and told my hay guy to bring me 40 on Thursday. I'm taking a steer to freezer camp Thursday and will be down to 7 cows. If we start getting some rain this fall, I plan on getting 3-5 more head in December.
supposed to have 10 bales coming Sunday...and have about 10 bags of cubes...hoping that will get me through to some rain...Hoever, oddly enough, they aren't really eating much of the three bales I put out last week...I am assuming they are finding enough to eat (still look healthy)...I did manage to get about 30 acres on the back side of the place open to them and I think they are going over there at night and eating whatever is growing there - it's a little further from water so I don't think they are going over there during the day...and they do have plenty of shade in some easily accessible areas...probably grazing like deer. I guess if they need the hay that I've put out they'll eat it.

Latest posts