How’s your grass?

Help Support CattleToday:

Started on my crabgrass. A little late due to the rains here. It's a MASSIVE crop this year.
20230724_213432.jpg20230724_213423.jpg
@Caustic Burno
I don't mean to be rude, but how many jersey/brahma full bloods ya got?
If u haul em up here, they can graze my grass til spring. I seem to recall there was 4 of em?
I'm sure there are others closer than me that would offer the same if not better deal.

Started on my crabgrass. A little late due to the rains here. It's a MASSIVE crop this year.
View attachment 32887View attachment 32888
@Caustic Burno
I don't mean to be rude, but how many jersey/brahma full bloods ya got?
If u haul em up here, they can graze my grass til spring. I seem to recall there was 4 of em?
I'm sure there are others closer than me that would offer the same if not better deal.
I sold them.
I have a few old Brimmer crosses left in there late teens.

I'm with you buddy. Put my first bale out Saturday. Put it in the shade not too far from the water trough. Hopefully they don't burn to much energy. I did not get a single drop of rain this past weekend either. Looked like it went through Lufkin.
Problem with putting out hay now is what are you going to do this winter?
There is none to be had! I drove yesterday over to Toledo Bend up through Hemphill and Many La the whole country is burnt up.
Hay barns over there that are usually full are empty.

I have a few bales left from last year. Luckily my hay guy has set aside what I need for this winter. If he can't limp me along through this dry period then I will have to look around for some. He got me through all of last year though and I told him I would always use him as my hay source. Some slight chances of rain this week. Maybe after that Saharan dust blows over the chances will get better.

I have a few bales left from last year. Luckily my hay guy has set aside what I need for this winter. If he can't limp me along through this dry period then I will have to look around for some. He got me through all of last year though and I told him I would always use him as my hay source. Some slight chances of rain this week. Maybe after that Saharan dust blows over the chances will get better.
Slight is not going to help I hate to tell you!
We need a rain event this is the second year of this drought! Not the first. I have played this game before and you will go broke trying to hang on, destroy the pasture and your years from recovery!
You're now destroying teeth in this sand country.
Secret to this is good grass equals good teeth equals longevity and low maintenance cattle.

This all that's left, these girls have been producing two decades going into there third,
If I am going to retain heifers I want it out of these girls.IMG_2852.jpegIMG_2853.jpeg

It would take a Gulf tropical storm or hurricane at this point, and it would have to be a slow mover to do any real good.
A Pacific storm, coming out of Northern Mexico and moving North East would work too, since their wind has mostly subsided by the time they reach Texas. That is a pretty rare event tho.

I sure sympathize with yall down south. Last year was brutal!
I took some of @Caustic Burno advice and sold off a few, otherwise like he said, you'll ruin your pastures! I ran right up the edge for sure. Then I penned the ones I had up on about 10 acres and pretended it was winter. Started feeding hay. 2 year old hay. Ditch hay. Old crappy dried out waterway hay. And fed cubes.

I kept the best of the best!
In a way it was kind of nice to be forced to re-set. Opens your eyes after it's all said and done and the rains come. I bought back in with a few odd young colorful cheap pairs with good calves on em! They are gonna make me money. I'll sell those bought pairs after I wean the calves and put that money in the bank until I decide which direction I'm going. I also bought a handful of stocker calves to turn out once it was apparent the grass was here. They'll grow and do well for me also.

Keep your heads up guys! It'll get better

It would take a Gulf tropical storm or hurricane at this point, and it would have to be a slow mover to do any real good.
A Pacific storm, coming out of Northern Mexico and moving North East would work too, since their wind has mostly subsided by the time they reach Texas. That is a pretty rare event tho.
IMG_2855.png
Doesn't look good.

Already shopping for some round bales in or near Nacogdoches County...hopefully someone who can deliver...I can probably make it with 10 or 12 bales provided the rain decides to show up
Heard the feed store manager say he found some in Mississippi cost to get was 100 bucks a bale.
If you hold on at that price those welfare cattle will never pay it back.

Heard the feed store manager say he found some in Mississippi cost to get was 100 bucks a bale.
If you hold on at that price those welfare cattle will never pay it back.
found a dozen for $75...being delivered Sunday afternoon...hope it last long enough for rain to fall and have an effect on the grass...I'll be feeding the hay and cubes until we get a break...or I get tired of spending the cash...

Don't fall asleep with auto steer on! That's a 3 ft drop off on the other side of what used to be the fence. Had he been 100ft west he'd a woke up in the pond!!
Cut a t-post off clean with the ground. Ate half a dozen knives and 2 guards. At least he pulled all the wire outta the machine anyway.
What a mess!!
20230725_182245.jpg20230725_182254.jpg

My husband and I just had the same discussion yesterday evening.
Local sale had another big run this week with 1/3 being cows....drought selling for sure.

Pray for rain!

Surprised at what it yielded. Didn't look like much at all when I got started. The bottom always does pretty good. Other than that, wasn't much over 12 inches tall. Of course I took a picture of a thick spot. Lol. I figure it'll average 1 ton per acre?

Most of the JG hadn't made seed yet. Seemed to be lots more clover and JG this year with much less chicory.

Crabgrass has gotten a very late start this year.

Attachments

• 20230724_174556.jpg
    20230724_174556.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 8
  • 20230724_174542.jpg
    20230724_174542.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 8
Did it wake you up?
I wasn't running it.
Hired help. He didn't wake up to the alarm that beeps when your getting close. He actually didn't wake up til it about threw him outta the seat when he bounced over that big drop-off! That field is buttery smooth. I can see how it could happen. If I get drowsy, I'll run it manually. But I usually get out of the machine and take a short walk and burn a smoke or two....

I think we may hit 3 bale/acre on this place. After last year I may just stack it all in the yard and sit on it. Worrying about hay is one thing I don't want to do!

Latest posts