How’s your grass?

Help Support CattleToday:

Drove through your area couple week's ago and was shocked at how short the wheat was! Friend from north of Wellington said only running around 40 BPA! Down from 60 last year. Is that all from drought I assume?
Yup, all drought. Painful to see the wheat and most of the farmers either turned it over or put up hot wire to let the cattle graze. It only took 2 hours with 2 combines for our neighbors to cut 240 acres behind us.

Give me a heads up the next time you're in the area and I'll buy you lunch! Or a beer?

Drove through your area couple week's ago and was shocked at how short the wheat was! Friend from north of Wellington said only running around 40 BPA! Down from 60 last year. Is that all from drought I assume?
Brother in law works for a seed company in Salina Kansas area. He said they were cutting 20 bushel wheat there this week.

@BFE and @crossbreed, attached is an article on the yields. Wellington is in Sumner County and Salina is in Saline, more north central KS.

finally got one little rain the other night...will probably have to go ahead and bale hay soon...looks like dry times ahead at least for the 2 weeks...best to get what I can while I can sometime within the next 2 weeks...unless the forecast changes drastically...sigh

Got a little rain Thursday, but need some more. Hay guys are busy with the 2nd cutting around this area. A lot better than last year that's for sure! I have not priced hay yet, but expecting/hoping for $10-$15 less per bale compared to last year's price.

Got the fence patched up on the back 40...about 30+ acres is pasture, the rest is wooded. But, I will finally be able to let the cows get back there - that's been a pretty big battle but I am nothing if not hard-headed about it. Lots of weeds but also lots of grass. The spraying did a good job on most of the pita stuff. A couple of weeks and I'll mow it with the bush hog set a little high to save the grass. Hopefully another year or so will see it considerably "rehabilitated". Now, on to the downed trees/limbs - lots of that to do. And still really really really need some rain.

Got the fence patched up on the back 40...about 30+ acres is pasture, the rest is wooded. But, I will finally be able to let the cows get back there - that's been a pretty big battle but I am nothing if not hard-headed about it. Lots of weeds but also lots of grass. The spraying did a good job on most of the pita stuff. A couple of weeks and I'll mow it with the bush hog set a little high to save the grass. Hopefully another year or so will see it considerably "rehabilitated". Now, on to the downed trees/limbs - lots of that to do. And still really really really need some rain.
Didn't it rain there the other day? It did down towards Rusk, I believe.

Didn't it rain there the other day? It did down towards Rusk, I believe.
Not much here...some folks north of us (and Rusk is a little north of us) got some pretty good showers...jet stream is keeping it pretty much north and east of us. We are in the "curve" where the jet stream is north and east of me...the good rain is happening just outside that "curve" from what I can see. May just go on and bale this coastal bermuda before it burns up...it ain't as high as I'd like to see it but I can still get a fair to middlin' yield, I believe...then maybe a late cutting around September or October if the rain will fall. Didn't get to bale last year until almost October...last July and August were pretty dang dry. This year ain't looking much better for the time being.

We got about an inch of rain yesterday. We really needed it. It's gotten awful hot!

For 45 days rest there isn't much here, but it is better than many around. Hopefully the rain will keep coming for us all.

Attachments

• 20230716_083621.jpg
    20230716_083621.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 12
  • 20230716_084249.jpg
    20230716_084249.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 12
  • 20230716_083928.jpg
    20230716_083928.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 13

Latest posts