Houston Livestock Show

Help Support CattleToday:

SF

Reaction score
This is our first year showing at Houston. I am impressed with the facility. Great facility. Air Conditioned barn. The HLSR staff have been absolutely wonderful and accomodating. We've been here for 3 days. Our show is tomarrow. Thus far I just can't say enough about HLSR. A pleasure to show cattle here.

I actually think the facilities for cattle are pretty horrible. You have no idea how many people and animals Ive seen go down because of the mats coming up and the slick floors. Last time I checked they are supposed to have water faucets at every other row, but a week and a half ago for the Open Show they had maybe 2 each section. Makes it a real pain being on the end of the row with a faucet, constantly a pool of water right by my stalls. Im not a fan of this new building that they claim was designed "with the livestock show in mind".

The people that work it are extremely nice, its just the guys upstairs that have a few screws loose. Its all those filthy rich people who only see cattle during the livestock show who dont know what would benefit the exhibitors and what wouldnt. Those guys that wear their boots and hats a few times a year.

You can probably tell that these directors annoy me to no end. Ive been upstairs in the directors room at Reliant Center. All it is is a place for these rich guys to come in and get drunk. One room has 3 full bars in it and people walking around serving them. They walk out of the building to find a golf cart waiting to take them 100 ft to their cars. They put these guys closer than the exhibitors. Without the exhibitors, they would have no livestock show. I guess money talks.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":1y6guiii said:
I actually think the facilities for cattle are pretty horrible. You have no idea how many people and animals Ive seen go down because of the mats coming up and the slick floors. Last time I checked they are supposed to have water faucets at every other row, but a week and a half ago for the Open Show they had maybe 2 each section. Makes it a real pain being on the end of the row with a faucet, constantly a pool of water right by my stalls. Im not a fan of this new building that they claim was designed "with the livestock show in mind".

The people that work it are extremely nice, its just the guys upstairs that have a few screws loose. Its all those filthy rich people who only see cattle during the livestock show who dont know what would benefit the exhibitors and what wouldnt. Those guys that wear their boots and hats a few times a year.

You can probably tell that these directors annoy me to no end. Ive been upstairs in the directors room at Reliant Center. All it is is a place for these rich guys to come in and get drunk. One room has 3 full bars in it and people walking around serving them. They walk out of the building to find a golf cart waiting to take them 100 ft to their cars. They put these guys closer than the exhibitors. Without the exhibitors, they would have no livestock show. I guess money talks.

Actually, Countryboy, without the business men that pay 300,000 or more for a steer, and the ones that donate tens of thousands for sponsorships, and the ones that volunteer their time and recruit other volunteers there wouldn't be a show. Speaking as a long time committee member, and business sponsor, I can tell you you need to learn a lesson about bitting the hand that feeds you!

I like Houston. My boys never do well there, but there is so much to do. The beach, shopping, and this year we will be abe to go to a Dallas Mav's game. The thing I hate the most is the tax rate on the hotels. I think it is about 20%.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":34rxoy2p said:

Didn't have one calf slip. That was if the exhibitor wasn't lazy and actually walked on the walkways provided. I loved the facilities. IMO, Houston and Fort Worth are equal...each for his own reason. I like how at Houston, you don't have to walk outside to get to the arena...thus you don't have to worry about rain messing up your newly fitted animal.

cowboy13":3d9sd5qc said:
Houston does have the nicest facilaties. How do you like the "stick" people?

Those stick people were pretty cool. Stopped all the traffic for us as we were going into the ring.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":26e04w7e said:
I actually think the facilities for cattle are pretty horrible.
Well if you think these facilities are horrible, you may want to consider not showing. It all goes downhill from Houston. This is one of the best facilities I've ever been to. To participate or watch.
You have no idea how many people and animals Ive seen go down because of the mats coming up and the slick floors.
I was there for 4 days, never saw it happen, not even once. The HLSR people were constantly working on the mats, retaping them, etc... I thought they did a great job.
Last time I checked they are supposed to have water faucets at every other row, but a week and a half ago for the Open Show they had maybe 2 each section. Makes it a real pain being on the end of the row with a faucet, constantly a pool of water right by my stalls. Im not a fan of this new building that they claim was designed "with the livestock show in mind".
Had nine stalls right on the end of a row with the water faucet. The water was a pain, but saved me from having to walk to get water, so I was willing to deal with it. We just placed a tub there for the water to drip into. But moisture isn't objectionable to us anyway. We spray our bedding down once every other day, sometimes once a day anyway. We like it to be moist, not wet, but certainly not dry.
The people that work it are extremely nice, its just the guys upstairs that have a few screws loose.
We found that most everyone there was extremely nice also. Didn't meet any of the ones with loose screws.
Its all those filthy rich people who only see cattle during the livestock show who dont know what would benefit the exhibitors and what wouldnt. Those guys that wear their boots and hats a few times a year.
If these are the people resposible for this facilty. All I can say it thank you. The best I've worked in. I like it.
Without these money guys there would be no show. It is quite expensive to put on a show. I know I'm a board member for an asociation that sponsors some of these shows. Without these wealthy sponsors, etc... there would be no show.

Tolerance of the different perspectives will get you more.

Latest posts