HOT HOT HOT Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Well, it just does not get that hot here for the most part, so I have not had much experience taking rectal temperature when the ambient is above the normal temperature of the calf. As dun stated if you can take it in the evening when it cools off it would work better. I'm with milkmaid, with those temps I'll treat 10 times out of 10, if I watse a little medicine every once in a while so be it .

Larry

As far as body temperature goes... I don't take temps near as often as I ought, but on the times I have repeatedly taken the same animal's temp, I have found that I get the lowest temperature reading in the mornings. Cows have elevated temps in the afternoons and even late evenings, and I've taken temps as late as 10pm at night, hoping to get a more accurate reading.

I guess those big critters take awhile to cool down when the day-time environmental temperatures are so high.

Keep us posted on how the the bull does.

Hi All,

I called the vet this morning and the report is that he's doing well. His temp this morning was normal and he's eating and drinking. However, he was eating and drinking normally all through this episode....how is he going to handle the heat at 3:00PM today? :) Without getting that baseline early in the AM yesterday on him, I don't know if he was at a normal temp early yesterday morning and his temp increased exponentially as the daytime temp increased, or if it was exacerbated by the fever or what. Just goes to show you that baselines are important.

Update

I spoke with the vet himself this morning as opposed to his office staff, and he said that the bull's temp was at 100.3 this morning, he was eating some hay and nibbling at feed, and drinking a little, and no more open mouth breathing, but to quote him, "His lungs sound horrible. He looks terrible. This is one sick calf." So, while we have his temp under control now, we're dealing with the fluid filled lungs of pneumonia. Definitely not heat stress in this case.

So, IF he pulls out of this, what can I expect from him in terms of his growth? Any fertility issues?

TR":t3v58xq8 said:
Update

I spoke with the vet himself this morning as opposed to his office staff, and he said that the bull's temp was at 100.3 this morning, he was eating some hay and nibbling at feed, and drinking a little, and no more open mouth breathing, but to quote him, "His lungs sound horrible. He looks terrible. This is one sick calf." So, while we have his temp under control now, we're dealing with the fluid filled lungs of pneumonia. Definitely not heat stress in this case.

So, IF he pulls out of this, what can I expect from him in terms of his growth? Any fertility issues?

Fertility would be a moot point. He needs to be shipped with a bunch of steers. Odds are that if he is/was that sick that he'll have lung scarring and owuld best be eaten.

My vet insists lungs can repair themselves given time... says a minimum of 3 weeks. How long had the calf been exhibiting symptoms? As long as it's not a chronic infection I suspect he'll be fine in the future. I had a calf recently that was bordering on chronic (fighting the infection for ~1 month) and she's looking good now. Been about 5 weeks since the last treatment, I think. She seems to be gaining weight as well as her contemporaries.

Can't imagine it would have a long term effect on fertility. Same for growth. What's your vet's opinion on the matter?

My thinking regarding the fertility issue (no, I'm not a vet) would be as a result of prolonged high fever.

The same has happened in humans (so I am told by a few in the medical profession). I have also heard of this regarding fertility in stud horses (have had this discussion with a couple of equine practitioners.) In the case of the horses, they were not completely sterile. They had low sperm counts and that was also my understanding when it applied to human males.

Katherine

If i had the bull at the vets i would get him tested for PI BVD and IBR. That would be my first course of action if i were to think on keeping him as a bull.
But in all honesty, there are enough good bulls out there that do not cost a fortune. This fella could have fertility problems due to his high temperatures. As well, with that much fluid for that long, he would be more seceptable to sickness later on. Not worth the risk considering you have to make money on the calves to stay in business. And if the cows end up open in the fall, hard to make $, hard to pay the bills.
And if you were planning to sell this bull to someone for their breeding herd, you would have some explaining to do if he was a PI bull infecting cows, causing abortions or sickly claves Not to mention if he continueally ended up sick for some reason or another or if the buyer had a pile of open cows in the fall...worth the risk to soil a good name? Namely yours? Not in my opinion.