Hot dog chili, D.Q. style

Help Support CattleToday:

ga. prime

Reaction score
Does anybody know how to make hot dog chili like Dairy Queen used to use back in the 60's and 70's? It's the best ever.

Someone from Tx. must! I liked chili until I went to Tx. Now I can't taste anything :lol: :lol: Burn taste buds. :(

how did they make it in the 60's and 70's? i don't remember that since i'm not old enough. love dq ice cream though. especially the banana splits. yummy!

Uh... cowgiirl... that's what I want to know -how they made it. :) Seriously, I was a kid growing up in the 60's and I always got chili dog's at D.Q., it was and still is the best ever. Sonic drive in has excellent chili dogs now - very similar to D.Q.'s of long ago.

It tasted homemade, no beans, but unlike anything I can duplicate, and I have won chili cooking contests. If you have a Sonic near Nowheresville, drive up and get one of their chili-cheese coneys(extra long) and you will get an idea of what the D.Q. chili used to be like. I don't think this chili would be all that good to eat out of a bowl, but it is awesome on a good hot dog. The problem with asking D.Q. is that they haven't had this kind of chili since 1972 or so. And I don't think you'd get anywhere asking Sonic how they make theirs either-for several reasons. I just thought someone might have a good recipe for hot dog chili(which is different,I think,than ordinary chili) that they would like to share......P.S. the chili at D.Q. and Sonic is more like gravy than what you would normaly expect chili to be like. :)

Sorry that I don't know what it tasted like, but!

we get HOT DOG CHILI SAUCE made by "Castleberry's AUSTEX" that is really fine-ground and more like a thin paste or gravy. Pretty good stuff on extra-long conies!

cost of the DQ recipe=$$$$$$$$
cost of Austex chili=$1.29

look on your face when you re-read about your "extra-long cheese coney's"=priceless

ga prime: Can't help you on the DQ recipe but I will say that if you are ever in Houston be sure to go to a James Coney Island eatery. They make some darn good dogs and Frito Pie and absolutely the best "bought chili" I've tasted. Many of my chilihead buddies agree with that assessment. James Coney Island has been in business here for many decades and, alas, I don't know of a single person that has been able to get his or her hands on the recipe. :mad:

Thanks for the tips A.Z., txag. I'll try the copycat recipe this weekend. I just printed it off. Hey A.Z., if you see Mr. Haney, tell him to come take back the two wheeled Army trailer I bought from him. The one with the pentle hook draw pin and the waist high tires. He'll know what I mean.

Does anybody know how to make hot dog chili like Dairy Queen used to use back in the 60's and 70's? It's the best ever.
It was kinda like schwabs brick chili with the schwabs wieners we used to buy a whole sack of footlongs i believe they were like 3 for $1..0

Cowgal, I'll try it!!!! If they have it at the Winn-Dixie. :)

Back in the day, it had more salt in it, better beef and more fat when they began cooking it. The recipe has changed over the years to reflect 'better nutrition'.
I'm not a fan of Austex chili any more. If I'm going to make a chili dog and have to use a canned product it will be Hormel with no beans.

(Wife and I ordered chili dogs from Sonic a few years ago and they were so salty neither of us could finish one. The salt was in the weiner tho, not the chili.)

Last edited:
no.

Leaves too much to question since chili powder is a mix of many different spices and herbs, and depending which brand you have, the taste can be completely different each time you make the dish.
  • 1 pound ground chuck meat
  • 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
  • 23 ounces tomato juice
  • 1/2 cup chile sauce (I use the Heinz brand)
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1-2 tablespoon brown sugar
  • Sprinkle corn meal (optional)
  • 2 tablespoons BBQ sauce (optional)

The secret to rich taste in chili is a cup of good strong coffee. Never eat chili the same day you make it. Needs to set overnight for everything to blend together.
Also a liberal dousing of Tony Chachere's seasoning, which goes good on everything but ice cream and pumpkin pie.