Hooking up PTO

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
I made this handy dandy tool to turn the PTO shaft on the tractor to be able to align the equipment and the tractor
tool2.jpg

tool3.jpg

To connect the heavy PTO shafts, I can't hold them up very long (or even lift them sometimes for that matter). I hook the top link in the latched up position and hang a light weight ratchet strap to the free end of the top link. Take the other end of the starp and wrap it around the equipment PTO shaft at the beginning of the smaller diameter part of the shaft. Then use the ratchet strap to lift the end up inline with the tractor PTO shaft. That way I can just push it towards the tractor and use the handydandy to turn the tractor shaft. As soon as it catches I just remove the HD and push the connector forward until it latches. Then remove the ratchet strap and you're in business

pretty cool.
My mower has two locking pins, just to make things more difficult - it takes full strength in both hands to push both pins in, while also trying to rotate the shaft to the right position, and hold it up too...

regolith":2m9wlv3f said:
pretty cool.
My mower has two locking pins, just to make things more difficult - it takes full strength in both hands to push both pins in, while also trying to rotate the shaft to the right position, and hold it up too...
My baler and the 16 foot batwing brushhogs have couplers that way (I swear) 40-50 pounds or so it seems. At least it seems like it when I have the really grunt just to lift them.

I like the idea of the support.My baler PTO weighs a lot.I don't see how an older man could ever pick it up.I'm getting to the age now that I think about those things not too far down the road.
Don't you just love the collars which have to be held back when you're trying hard to get the shaft to go forward?My newest tractor('94) will allow the PTO shaft to turn with the engine off as would the older tractors with live PTO.The independants on my others wont.I've used a crescent wrench on the U joints to turn the shaft -just remember to take wrench with you!!!

This is why we need a tractor for each piece of equipment. At least that's what I tell Mrs. ;-)

Latest posts