Hoof came off

Help Support CattleToday:

bchilders

Reaction score
I have a six week old steer whose hoof fell of Saturday morning (1/2 of the front left hoof came completely off0. He limped a little on Thursday and Friday but I didn't see any swelling or signs of illness. When I went out Saturday morning he couldn't put any weight on the foot and was hobbling. I could see part of his hoof dangling free of his leg. As I was moving him to an area where I could work with him it fell off. There was a very small amount of blood. I tried to give him a shot of LA 200 - as I was by myself I was only able to get about 2cc in him. I did get a good coating of blue lotion on his foot. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Any suggestions? He is nursing and eating great. Just can't put much pressure on that foot.

We've had a few calves over the years that sloughed one or more of their feet due to them being frozen. Any chance this calf could have frozen that foot at birth?

bc...,

No doubt....freeze/frostbite.

This is a good time to see if you,family and friends like veal. Check on antibiotic exposure.

Be careful of infection which could cause total loss of the carcass.

Original poster is in Kentucky. Didn't think it got cold enough there to freeze ears, tails, or hooves.

milkmaid":38oth6gx said:
Original poster is in Kentucky. Didn't think it got cold enough there to freeze ears, tails, or hooves.

That's what I was thinking MM. Lots of fescue in KY too!

cant imagine its fescue foot this time of year especially in a six week old calve as the grass should be dorment and the endophyte should dead in the hay. sounds more like frostbite

Is it his hoof or his dew claw?

I've only had one calf that froze it's hoof at birth, and he didn't slough it off until he was about six months of age, so personally I can't quite see this as a frostbite issue...

Does anyone else think he may have had injury to it, or is it just me? Any possiblity that he got it caught in something or stepped on?

Bchilders, is there any chance of posting a pic?

The good news is that given enough time, like with my frostbit steer, the hoof will re-grow, although it will most likely be deformed.

Take care.

milkmaid":3cqwa8hv said:

I saw that, but the possibility does exist that he purchased this pair elsewhere. Granted, it's slight but possible.

ALACOWMAN":1idx0en2 said:
cant imagine its fescue foot this time of year especially in a six week old calve as the grass should be dorment and the endophyte should dead in the hay. sounds more like frostbite

Not arguing but fescue foot doesn't just happen overnight.

A few years ago, I had a first time momma in the barn with her calf, and I cannot recall why they were in the barn in the first place.... Anyway, let them out on Saturday morning and it was not 15 minutes later I was putting them back in as he had gotten stepped on by another cow and was limping bad. He wasn't more than a week or two old to begin with. He was limping badly and after checking him over his hoof was seperated right at the hair line. Just on one-side, called the vet, she said no guarantees, watch it keep it clean, etc, etc... I kept them in the barn for a good 2 - 3 weeks and when I turned them out all was fine, and he never did end up losing his hoof. I was amazed.

MikeC":3l4klekv said:
ALACOWMAN":3l4klekv said:

I aint ruleing out the fact that you maybe right i know you be knowing what your talking about ;-)

ALACOWMAN":1d5wyrp2 said:
MikeC":1d5wyrp2 said:
ALACOWMAN":1d5wyrp2 said:

I aint ruleing out the fact that you maybe right i know you be knowing what your talking about ;-)

I wonder about that myself, sometimes. ;-)

I am new at this so if I do not post follow-ups correctly let me know. By the way I love this site!!! I have the hoof. It looks to me as though the hoof was injured - on the side of the hoof it is split and bent in. I can try to post a picture. It has been very wet the past six weeks. I wonder if he could have cut it on something or was stepped on when it was still soft? We did have some freezing weather - nothing long or serious I think it was in the teens one or two nights during this period but I saw no problems. We do have quite a bit of fescue; most of our hay is a fescue/orchard grass/ native grass mix that came from one of our fields we totally redid two years ago? Have never had a problem with "typical' fescue problems before (that I know of) so I am leaning more towards injury with wet conditions? Maybe like an injured finger/toenail?

Latest posts