Homosexuality in cows???

Help Support CattleToday:

Tx-beefmaster-showman

Reaction score
Hi, I was just wondering if i could get some people's thoughts on this. We purchased a bull a while back, he had just been branded and weaned a few days before we picked him up. When we got him home, we kept him seperate from all of the females, and he was in a bull pasture with one of our other bulls. Just recently we let him out with some of our heifers. He kind of sniffs around and does other bull-like stuff when a heifer is in heat. But it seems like he is more interested in a yearling bull that is in the lot with him. We have seen him ride the yearling bull, but when a cow is in heat, we havent ever seen him attempt to breed.
So, can someone please tell me what they believe is wrong with him, homosexuality, just not knowing what to do.. anything

Thanks

Sounds to me like he aint old enough yet to know for sure what he's supposed to be doing. Not uncommon for a young bull or heifer for that matter to ride cattle of the same sex.

Tx, I have a young Charlois X bull that was doing the same thing for a while. He grew out of it though. I'm sure that it didn't hurt watching my older bull take care of business. I wouldn't worry too much about that right now, I'd be more concerned if he's not interested once he's matured. May not have a good libido.

ERodrig":3u4ruplf said:
Tx, I have a young Charlois X bull that was doing the same thing for a while. He grew out of it though. I'm sure that it didn't hurt watching my older bull take care of business. I wouldn't worry too much about that right now, I'd be more concerned if he's not interested once he's matured. May not have a good libido.
we bought a beefmaster bull one time that ran from the cows for about two weeks. He had been with bulls only after weaning to the age of two and a half when we got him.

Tx-beefmaster-showman":adw5v17m said:
Hi, I was just wondering if i could get some people's thoughts on this. We purchased a bull a while back, he had just been branded and weaned a few days before we picked him up. When we got him home, we kept him seperate from all of the females, and he was in a bull pasture with one of our other bulls. Just recently we let him out with some of our heifers. He kind of sniffs around and does other bull-like stuff when a heifer is in heat. But it seems like he is more interested in a yearling bull that is in the lot with him. We have seen him ride the yearling bull, but when a cow is in heat, we havent ever seen him attempt to breed.
So, can someone please tell me what they believe is wrong with him, homosexuality, just not knowing what to do.. anything

Thanks

he is probably just establishing his rank with the other bull. he may be breeding the heifers at night. or he may not have the hang of things just yet.

We had two bulls that we bought once from the same breeder at the same time. They lived together then went out with the cows. They would climb each other but never a cow. We finally phoned the breeder and he replaced the bulls. Sure enough none of the cows were pregnant from the first two bulls. Maybe they grew out of it, I don't know.

Tx-beefmaster-showman":1uxaqnxc said:

Thanks
in my mind there is no such thing as homosexuality in animals.think about it, there animals.when you see cows in heat and others cows riding her. is she a lesbian? not hardly. some bulls have more testosterone and are more aggressive. the cow business aint that complicated

ALACOWMAN":jpkmurr6 said:
Tx-beefmaster-showman":jpkmurr6 said:

Thanks
in my mind there is no such thing as homosexuality in animals.think about it, there animals.when you see cows in heat and others cows riding her. is she a lesbian? not hardly. some bulls have more testosterone and are more aggressive. the cow business aint that complicated
Are freemartins lesbian?
If one bull has more testosterone that would mean that another may have less or possibly none. Couldn,t that make him gay? ;-)

I have also heard of makeing a cow into a marker cow by giveing it hormones (testosterone?).

Latest posts