Hole In Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

cloud9cattle

Reaction score
How do you fill in that gap behind a cows ribs? All my cows are fat and sassy and appear in good shape but have a hole between their hips and ribs?

Cloud9 your cows are normal. The cattle that you see that are "filled in" in that area are fat. The pics that you see of my cattle, are FAT. :) The only way to keep my cattle from getting fat is to pen them up.

About the only time that "hole" is fileld in is if they are bloated

No offense taken. Im just being hard on them i guess. Weve already culled 2 1 on dispositon the other for an extra teat. I didnt know if that was something i was doing wrong on my part as far as diet and mineral etc... all have been vaccinated and had boosters.

cloud9cattle":32dvbe8c said:
No offense taken. Im just being hard on them i guess. Weve already culled 2 1 on dispositon the other for an extra teat. I didnt know if that was something i was doing wrong on my part as far as diet and mineral etc... all have been vaccinated and had boosters.
You're kidding, right?

cloud9cattle":2jpqah5s said:
Lots of heifers have extra nipples..........sometimes 2 little non functioning ones in the back. I don't think that is a big deal.

No we are not kidding. We are being picky. We werent satisfied. I refuse to keep sub par animals moving forward. i will cull hard.

cloud9cattle":32t7zm0p said:
No we are not kidding. We are being picky. We werent satisfied. I refuse to keep sub par animals moving forward. i will cull hard.
Nip the extras off when they;re little calves. Extra teats are actaully pretty normal, about the only time they cause issues is with machine milking if one is too close to another.

I find my cows will always look a bit hollow when I see them first up of a morning but when they have a days grazing under their belt they are well filled out.
Ken

cloud9cattle":1ao2tnx9 said:

I have a couple with 6 teats. Nice registered Angus from good lines. Every single person (including folks from farming families going back to the 1600's, who have well-known and well-respected Angus herds) have told me it's not a cullable offense. Going forward I'll try to nip them at birth if I see them, but I would not cull an otherwise excellent cow just for that.

Putangitangi":ye7oa1bh said:
I'd cull on the horns, not the extra teats! Most of mine have extras working; the calves are happy ...

I guess ultimatley we didnt like the way she was turning out. She was one of those heifers I am sure everyone here has had them that we just didnt like and always picked apart. Cull on horns? Why does it matter if I am going to use a polled angus bull anyway that wont throw horns? Personally horns dont bother me... most of our heifers have quite a bit of brahman influence in them and the most common brahman are horned.

Extra teats are a problem if they work a little and you get a stupid calf that goes for it at first. They will suck on that one while the udder gets full and tight. I've had to get a few up and milk out the udder and work with the calf to quit nursing the higher up teats. The problem is they think the milk is at the level of the rogue teat and wont search lower once they get a little and not nursed most udders get big and lower so its a snowball effect... I've used duct tape to stop a stupid calf from nursing them. If i see i might have a problem with an extra teat i'll have the vet nip it off.

Latest posts