Hogs

Help Support CattleToday:

There is pleanty of access to private land if 1)you ask 2) you respect the land. LOTS of people do it.

Thought yall would like this. Killed Turkey Day morning. Its not all fun... this is the serious side of hog hunting.
Pics017.jpg

Texas Gal":11aunc0m said:
Calman,
Those we can't kill we'll point in your direction. ;-)

Gee Thanks Texas Gal. We now have hogs on the Montague place,They just started on my wheat yesterday. I'm now in the process of building another hog trap. :mad: :mad:

You're welcome! ;-) On a brighter note, I saw a really nice buck on the game cam; maybe, he'll follow the hogs to your place if one of us doesn't get him. :D

Texas Gal":3o54xauc said:
You're welcome! ;-) On a brighter note, I saw a really nice buck on the game cam; maybe, he'll follow the hogs to your place if one of us doesn't get him. :D

Send him on over i'll take that for sure.

Cal

In the last few years, the feral hog problem here has gotten much worse with the confirmed fact that some idiot 'sportmen' shipped some russian boars in from South Carolina, where they can be bought rather cheaply..............the excuse I heard was the plan was to hunt them all out over time...........hummmm...aint it time yet?

I find that my fences stand not a bit of chance when they want to be on one side or the other.........my cattle find the holes, and make them even bigger...............and of course out they go.

The thing about folks around here is, even with me begging, not many folks are into hunting them for some reason or another, although I was lucky enough to have a friend take one off of here a few days ago while deer hunting...........

I might add, that this time last year I was witness to what should have been a slaughter late one night with largebore rifles and buckshot, and although evidence of blood and teeth etc, were found, we never saw even one dead hog in the search over the next day or so.....Little armour plated sob's! :x

As much of a animal lover I am, I am realistic and see no use for them in the least, and along with coyotes and folks on the dole without cause, I see them all as parasitic feeders, with a need for culling. :cboy: Too harsh?

try spraying or shredding weeds,cutting and rakeing hay,plowing or disking fields where the hogs have rooted. try workin cattle on a four wheeler or horse where hogs have rooted up fields. just try driveing across a field where the hogs have been rooting in your trucks. all of those wishing they had hogs in their area will change their minds real quick. :lol:

the hogs tear up alot of country in one night. a watermelon field doesnt stand a chance with hogs. they will work over a corn or milo field too. the hogs have become a booming business tho with alot of folks cashing in on them for extra cash on the side and some going fulltime hog patrol. :lol: look around almost every free paper with ads and news papers have someone saleing hog traps or buying live wild hogs. not to mention the flyers tacked up on bullentin boards in feedstores and other business boards. look at the price of hog dogs. it has boomed into a new sport now they have hog beying contest etc.

most around here that dont have the time to mess with the hogs allow trappers and hog hunters with dogs to hunt the hogs for free of charge to remove the hogs. some land owners have their own traps and catch the hogs for extra cash. some game wardens in certain counties will stop you if they see you transporting wild hogs over county lines.

dewey":3da1vs2f said:
some game wardens in certain counties will stop you if they see you transporting wild hogs over county lines.

Those guys are my heroes. The hogs I trap and give away have to leave my place field dressed.

John in WI":2nl22oth said:
Just curious -compared to pork from the farm, how does wild hog taste?

Stringy with a lot of fat.

Have seen several cast iron skillets ruined from frying wild hog pork chops in them. The smell never goes away.

Then again I have fed them out and they taste fine...

Except for the "Stringy with a lot of fat". ;-)

I agree it depends on what they're eating and where they come from. I have always refused to eat the ones from my property but had some that a buddy of mine cooked up the other day. It was mighty fine. he feeds em corn. I feed em corn, diesel, fish heads, and burnt motor oil. Guess thats why they taste funny! 8)

MikeC":31e6q6p5 said:
John in WI":31e6q6p5 said:
Just curious -compared to pork from the farm, how does wild hog taste?

Stringy with a lot of fat.

Have seen several cast iron skillets ruined from frying wild hog pork chops in them. The smell never goes away.

Then again I have fed them out and they taste fine...

Except for the "Stringy with a lot of fat". ;-)

With all do respect Mike, I disagree. I'd rather eat feral than domestic, if it is prepared right. Never had any that was fat or stringy. The east coast restaurants sure pay a heck of a lot more for it too.

Have hunted wild hogs off and on all my life,but am no way a pro. But I have discovered that if the hog has a strong smell I don't even bother to clean it.I've killed several that smell no different than what you feed in a pen. Then again ther's some that stink to high heaven.Ive learned not to even try to butcher them. Most ferrel hogs shot around here are fat and Dang good eatin. Last one I shot had about 2in of fat under the skin. A hog that's been shot is usally not stressed out like a hog caught in a trap. My thoughts any animal you kill while stressed has a strong taste.

Cal

Should I say thats what "they" say. I hear so many reports about them carrying all these diseases, but who knows. They also say ducks can carry avain flu, but they haven't slowed down my gumbos!

angie2":25ukbbt3 said:
Are these hogs feral or wild?

Feral. There are licensed facilities that purchase them. The nearest one to me is Lingleville. A 150 lb shoat fetches about $30 so it is really not worth the trip. A 300 lb boar will bring about $250 but he needs to be hauled out immediately after catching such that he doesn't wreck everything.

From what I understand they all get shipped to the north east where they are in high demand. They are tested for diseases. Rules are very stringent.

They are excellent eating. I fed some out and then smoked them and took them to a friend's gathering last year. 300 lbs of meat was gone in less than 45 minutes.

backhoeboogie":9uzo89l3 said:
They are excellent eating. I fed some out and then smoked them and took them to a friend's gathering last year. 300 lbs of meat was gone in less than 45 minutes.

Dang ~ thats a lot of meat! Hog roasts are becoming the thing up here but so few people know how to do it (roast a whole hog) that the ones who do are a hot item. I have domestic at parties, but wild ~ no. Wouldn't turn it down though.

angie2":3s9wbqfv said:
Hog roasts are becoming the thing up here but so few people know how to do it (roast a whole hog) that the ones who do are a hot item. I have domestic at parties, but wild ~ no. Wouldn't turn it down though.

I do halves. We cooked three 80 pounders Thanksgiving of '05. SIL did a turkey too because, "the kids aren't going to eat that..." No one touched the turkey. Same SIL was calling all of her neighbors to come try the hog, once she had eaten some. It made believers out of all of the in-laws.

I get a real kick out of seeing folks try it for the first time. "Are you sure this is hog?" is a common question.

I soak the halves in an ice chest with vinegar as explained earlier in this thread.

The biggest problem with smoking them is keeping the lid closed. People want to constantly peek and pick. That takes the heat away every time the lid is opened. Hence, I have resorted to smoking a smaller one before the events - but people still want to peek.

Latest posts