Hogs

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie":mrtmhkuw said:
but people still want to peek.
Ahhh, is human nature I think ~ yes?

I have been to parties where it is cut up and put in crock pot to keep warm; and where it is sliced right off the hog onto your plate. Thing is I've yet to see one with an apple in its mouth :shock:

angie2":106eybu7 said:
Thing is I've yet to see one with an apple in its mouth :shock:

We did that one year as a gag. Cooked it with rock in it's mouth to hold it open then pulled it out and stuck in the apple. Nobody noticed.

Horticattleman":g59z7ljq said:
Should I say thats what "they" say. I hear so many reports about them carrying all these diseases, but who knows. They also say ducks can carry avain flu, but they haven't slowed down my gumbos!

That is stuff TAHC puts out so they can put more resrictions on hogs. THen they can makes stamps, licenses, approved holding facilities all the get to the bottom line..... MONEY.

I hunt these HOG Hunting Tournaments. They have different divisions like bow, trapping, rifle, and dogs. They give a way prizes for biggest 3 hogs and then jackpots for biggest teeth, biggest boar, ect and so on.

The point of all that is so that all the hogs people bring in from across Texas get checked for disease and aslo some places donate the meat to the needy. They have yet to find any disease. ;-)

dun":j0km4ge1 said:
angie2":j0km4ge1 said:

We did that one year as a gag. Cooked it with rock in it's mouth to hold it open then pulled it out and stuck in the apple. Nobody noticed.

Some people use a ball of foil. You all probably realize it is to create a path for the heat to travel through the center cavity? I don't do it that way. We split them in half (minus the head totally). BIL wants to do one with apple over an open fire pit like the movies. How do you control the temp? Who's going to spin it for all those hours? Not me!

backhoeboogie":13n5covx said:
dun":13n5covx said:
angie2":13n5covx said:

Some people use a ball of foil. You all probably realize it is to create a path for the heat to travel through the center cavity? I don't do it that way. We split them in half (minus the head totally). BIL wants to do one with apple over an open fire pit like the movies. How do you control the temp? Who's going to spin it for all those hours? Not me!

You don't know how to control heat from a fire with out a knob and temberature guage I guess? :shock:

Brute 23":3096lon5 said:
You don't know how to control heat from a fire with out a knob and temberature guage I guess? :shock:

Nope. Starts out at 350 degrees for a couple of hours and then hold it at 225 for several hours. It is a sure thing. I couldn't tell by just looking. Angie already asked about how to do it over an open fire. I've read an awful lot about the pit method but haven't done that one either. If friends get word that I am smoking one on my whimpy smoker with the temp gauge, they'll all show up with smiles - AGAIN.

Ya it took me lots of messed up meat to get it right.

My best way so far is to cut mesquite logs about every 2 or 3 inches then make a little stack. Then you just add the chips as necessary. It is real easy to control and it really holds its heat. Not alot of fluctuating.

backhoeboogie":3fg3b254 said:
How do you control the temp? Who's going to spin it for all those hours? Not me!

Seen a guy with two electric spits for turning. Tended the coals while testing mass quantities of beer. Big fire off to the side and just put a few shovelfuls in as needed to keep things roasting.

Think he started before daylight and we ate well before dark. these weren't huge pigs and I could be wrong, I was testing beverages too, but they were tasty. Had one done in a pit in the ground once too - oh that was good. I am pretty sure these were tame domestics as we don't have a hog problem here, too dry I think.

alot of the taste had to do with the size of the hog. the big trophy boars or any boars over 170-180 lbs are gonna have that strong boar hog smell and taste. best eating size is 25 to 100 lbs my opinion. i like to keep them awhile and feed them and clean them out then you know what they been eating.

The bigger hogs may need feeding to clean them out, but with the shoats. I prefer to go ahead and kill them and make sausage.

Feral hogs are poor at feed conversion and only put on fat. So in my mind why bother throwing away good grain and money.

phillse":2uguvtft said:
The bigger hogs may need feeding to clean them out, but with the shoats. I prefer to go ahead and kill them and make sausage.

Feral hogs are poor at feed conversion and only put on fat. So in my mind why bother throwing away good grain and money.

These here must be the exception they can turn a good hayfield or pasture into about 300 pound hogs. They can run like a deer breed like rabbits and fight like a wampuscat seems pretty efficent to me.

My FFA Chapter has cooked hogs for several years. These are not wild, usually Yorkshires. Our method is to quarter the hog. We lay it on an expanded metal grate that is placed on an steel frame. We get a fire going (oak and hickory) and when the coals are hot the hog goes on. The meat is about three feet above the fire. We usuallly start about 6:00 PM and cook it all night over a low fire turning the meat with a pitchfork every 30 minutes. With each turn until the desired taste is reached, we spray it down with water and sprinkle salt on it. About 7:00 we start taking the meat of the bones and put into pans that stay over the fire and we have BBQ pork for lunch. It's amazing how many students in the high school suddenly become FFA members when that smoked pork smell comes wafting down the halls!

J. T.":23b2ppwk said:
It's amazing how many students in the high school suddenly become FFA members when that smoked pork smell comes wafting down the halls!

Or how many suddenly drop out when its time to clean up. ;-) :lol:

Latest posts