Hog question

Help Support CattleToday:

Hillary_Indiana

Reaction score
Off the topic of cows:
I think I heard it was ok to give pigs kaopectate for scours. Is that true? They just got here yesterday and they're pretty messy today. If so, how much should I give them?

We use the store brand pepto bismal on pigs all the time. Works good. What size/age are these pigs. We use it mainly on baby pigs. Using a pump bottle that will deliver a good dose with each pump works best. We fill their mouth twice and make sure they swallow each pump before we put them back down. They tend to spit it out otherwise. May be a little tricky if they are too big to hold up. Would go through a lot of it too if very big. That's why I ask about the size/age. If too big then you would be better off with a med from the vet - preferably an injectable.

The pigs are about 5 months old I believe...I'd guess they weigh around 60-80 lbs if that sounds normal. They are my 4-h pigs and I got them from a friend so I didn't get all the details yet.

This is too big for pepto bismal. You can pm me if you want to talk more.

CKC1586":1ulovw9g said:
http://dgroups.agriculture.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?webtag=agriculturez&nav=index

Hi There: You may want to try this site for a hog talk site. They have some good information.
=========
hillary,

Your post..."they got here yesterday".... I thought you meant they were born...babies. :roll: Since you just moved 'em they are upset...probably clear up in a day or two. Check with the previous owner to see if he had a problem with em the day before.

Preston39 - 1st off, that previous owner isn't going to admit there were any problems. If he/she did, then hilary is going to hold he/she accountable. This ends up with lower cash in hand. Hog markets are bad enough that no one is going to risk getting even less. 2nd off, hilary needs to ask about feed rations instead. If feed is considerably different, then there is the problem. 3rd off, it will clear up eventually but with a very high death loss. Hilary needs to do something NOW to slow down the scours. The amount of time it takes to adjust to new feed, new environment, shipping stress, new "bugs" etc. is too long to keep all of them alive without stepping in and stopping those scours. I am a very experienced hog producer. After reading your posts, I'm beginning to wonder how much experience you have with any livestock. I hope while you are reading these posts that you apply some of the advice here. Your animals will love you for it.

First off, I only have two pigs for 4-h so it isn't a mass production. Second, I got the pigs for free so I know the person that gave them to me isn't trying to rip me off. Sorry for the confusion, I think I'm going to go to Tractor Supply and check out the stuff they offer for scours.

Thanks for all the help.

Hillary - more than likely this condition is due to a change in feed (assuming the previous owner didn't give you a sack of his feed). More than likely it will clear up in a few days as long as this is the only symtom of sickness that they're exhibiting. If they go off feed, have fever, cough, then I'd get concerned. If they just have the runs, watch a few days and I bet it'll improve.

Caustic Burno":2h1yyvkr said:
This is the Cattle Board not the Hog Board pm PolledBull he is a Hog Farmer.

You don't have to be rude to a kid.

I'm sure that some of the cattlemen on this board also have hogs.

Hillary-- did you try the Nutri-Drench at Tractor Supply? They have it for all different breed of animal. I use the Beef nutri-drench on calves sometimes, it works really well.

Latest posts