Hoff First Edition

Help Support CattleToday:

CattleAnnie

Reaction score
I was looking through an upcoming bull sale catalogue, and First Edition is listed as a reference sire.

Anyone know what Hoff First Edition's (058 242) actual birth weight was?

I can't seem to find it on his page.

http://www.agonline.com/bullbarn/angblkepd.asp?ID=758

I'm interested in one of his sons as a possible britisher cross on my mature cows (as all 8 sons listed have fairly hefty birth weights), so I'm wondering if these birthweights may be caused by the skookum cows that this breeder raises and perhaps our northern climes.

Thanks in advance and take care.

His actual Birth Weight was 84lb., adj. weaning wt 868 lb and adj. yrlg. wt. 1534 lb.

I think you will be more than satisfied with the calves.

CattleAnnie- la4angus is a part owner of this bull! If he doesn't notice your post for a day or so, PM him and ask him about the bull. He is a FINE bull!

DOC HARRIS

PS - I see that he has already answered you.

Thanks everyone for the replies and a big thanks to LA for the birthweight.

The sons I'm looking at have birthweights ranging from 89lbs to 110lbs, so I'm not too worried about calving difficulties on my mature cows if the bulls are properly built.

Will have to bide my time as the sale isn't until the 28th of March.

Take care.

CattleAnnie":2y471tx3 said:
Thanks everyone for the replies and a big thanks to LA for the birthweight.

The sons I'm looking at have birthweights ranging from 89lbs to 110lbs, so I'm not too worried about calving difficulties on my mature cows if the bulls are properly built.

Will have to bide my time as the sale isn't until the 28th of March.

Take care.
Cattle Annie, the reports on the calves so far are that they are real long and smooth and have come easily. I know of no calving problms as yet.

I guess it depends on what you're after, mtnman.

I own a female raised by the breeder that's having this sale, and they are big easy doing angus cattle. She weighs around the 1500lbs mark. I'd wager that if you told these gentlemen that they weren't raising 'real angus' they'd have a few chuckles over it as they cashed their sale checks - both for their purebreds and their crossbred calf sales. Most folks up here still get paid by the pound on their cattle and like calves with frame to them. ;-)

So personally, being as my commercial herd averages around the same, I'm looking for bulls that won't be throwing dinky little calves with no frame to grow into.

I guess it would be different if I was running small cows that were around 1000lb (which is what a light weight bred heifer weighs around here) or if I was looking for a heifer bull I might be shopping around for birthweights a bit lighter - but still if the bulls are built for calving ease and the females are built properly, I wouldn't be looking for a whole lot lighter either.

Take care.

A local Angus breeder here that I have bought bulls from owns an interest in the bull. His sons sold quite well and were well received. This breeder watches birthweights real close and I think his heaviest calf on this years sale was about 93 lbs. I think he had about 11 sons on this past sale. They are growning machines that have a lot of shape to them. Also they are very well structured cattle.

CattleAnnie":1hnj75c5 said:
I guess it depends on what you're after, mtnman.

I own a female raised by the breeder that's having this sale, and they are big easy doing angus cattle. She weighs around the 1500lbs mark. I'd wager that if you told these gentlemen that they weren't raising 'real angus' they'd have a few chuckles over it as they cashed their sale checks - both for their purebreds and their crossbred calf sales. Most folks up here still get paid by the pound on their cattle and like calves with frame to them. ;-)

So personally, being as my commercial herd averages around
  • the same, I'm looking for bulls that won't be throwing dinky little calves with no frame to grow into.
I guess it would be different if I was running small cows that were around 1000lb (which is what a light weight bred heifer weighs around here) or if I was looking for a heifer bull I might be shopping around for birthweights a bit lighter - but still if the bulls are built for calving ease and the females are built properly, I wouldn't be looking for a whole lot lighter either.

Take care.
Thats just exactly right not only for angus but a few more i want my cows to have something too show for their efforts.

Double Diamond Ranch in ND is having their bull sale this Saturday, they are part owners of First Edition. Those calves are ripping good. Especially the lot 1 bull. He is one of the more powerful black bulls selling this year, for what I have seen.

You can see him on my website in their catalog at http://www.bigredgenetics.com

CattleAnnie":osua4sgy said:
BRG,

Wow! You are right about that lot number 1. Bet that who ever buys him won't be disappointed in the resulting calf crops.

http://www.bigredgenetics.com/bigredgen ... 5B2%5D.pdf

Take care.
You're right about that Cattle Annie. That is a real top bull. I also Like lot # 4 and 17. Maybe BRG will fill us in on how they look up close and personal.

The pictures show them how they are. Extremely thick loin and rear quartered bulls. They have good frame and bone. The lot 4 bull is very flashy looking and he knows it. The 17 bull is similar to the lot 1 for style. These bulls have alot of muscle bred in them.

El_Putzo":23bae2oo said:
While it's fresh in your mind Lloyd, what did he scan?
I don't have the actual scan, but the REA EPD is in the Breed top 1% @ .58. I am tying to get his scan and also progeny scan.

thats a big Angus bull ,maybe there was a bit of Romagnola or chi in its grading up to purebred ;-) what was its progenys weaning weights, and birth weights.

Yeah, when they get that big, they are Angus in name only.

No way to preserve the original qualities of Angus in cattle like that.

What will his daughters weigh?

What is the frame of these bulls weighing 1300 at yearling?

All the catalog says is "enough, or "right" or a little extra.

mtnman

mtnman":193kp3vs said:

mtnman
What frame do you think it needs to be Mtnman to weigh 1300 at 12mos?

mtnman":ri5mlgz5 said:

mtnman
mtnman, I'll tell you like you told Brandonm2 a couplle of days ago. Just Shut Up.

Latest posts