Hoff First Edition

Help Support CattleToday:

Just admit, you like big impractical cattle that take a lot of feed, LA.

mtnman

This bull is by no means to big. Yes he was fed good when he was young and got great weights, but at least you know he can gain in the feedlot. This is what we need or the feedlots are not going to buy them. We need to supply what our customers want, and our customers are the feedlots, and they need cattle that will perform. He is doing a much better job than most sires out there.

mtnman":2skuog6i said:
Just admit, you like big impractical cattle that take a lot of feed, LA.

mtnman
mtnman Just asdmit that you don't know anything about cattle that you haven't read in a book.. So JUST SHUT UP.

BRG":353wyvzn said:
This bull is by no means to big. Yes he was fed good when he was young and got great weights, but at least you know he can gain in the feedlot. This is what we need or the feedlots are not going to buy them. We need to supply what our customers want, and our customers are the feedlots, and they need cattle that will perform. He is doing a much better job than most sires out there.

Is he pasture breeding cows BRG?

mtnman":36w7cxy1 said:
Yeah, when they get that big, they are Angus in name only.

No way to preserve the original qualities of Angus in cattle like that.

What will his daughters weigh?

What is the frame of these bulls weighing 1300 at yearling?

All the catalog says is "enough, or "right" or a little extra.

mtnman
Back when I was in college, majoring in animal science, I took a genetics class. In this class we learned a lot of interesting facts: Such as If you continue to select for certain traits like growth and muscling or Longer horns or whatever you will make progress in those traits. Since the British breeds have been selecting for high growth now for about 30 years, I for one, do not find it too shocking that there are big, fast growing angus cattle out there. I think that is why crossbreeding does not autimatically increase performance, if the purebreds you have are higher performing than the other breed you choose, the increase in performance due to hybrid vigor; about 10% on average may not get you anywhere if the bull you bring in is more than 10% lower on performance. Now I am not saying that no crossbreeding took place to increase growth, but I doubt that it has been going on much if at all in the past 20 years. There has been no need for it. At the Indiana bull test, which I follow, the angus out perform all other breeds.
As for the frame score at 1300 lbs, we raised a DB Saint Nick Son that weighed 1400 lbs on his first birthday. Frame score 6. Ration: 45 lbs silage, 10 lbs cracked corn and 2 lbs bean meal.

El_Putzo":nbbag7vl said:
While it's fresh in your mind Lloyd, what did he scan?
OK James. His official scan was 15.4. His EPD keeps improving so his sons must be doing pretty decent. This should help improve the RE in calves in the commercial herds across the country.

la4angus":3d7pomoh said:
mtnman":3d7pomoh said:
Yeah, when they get that big, they are Angus in name only.

No way to preserve the original qualities of Angus in cattle like that.

What will his daughters weigh?

What is the frame of these bulls weighing 1300 at yearling?

All the catalog says is "enough, or "right" or a little extra.

mtnman
mtnman, I'll tell you like you told Brandonm2 a couplle of days ago. Just Shut Up.

The only reason that worked, is because I had already said I was done commenting on that string (still don't know why a cow show topic drifted to the breeds board from the show board...where I NEVER say anything) AND had left for 3 days business in Georgia!!!

Brandonm2":28jeqaef said:
mtnman, I'll tell you like you told Brandonm2 a couplle of days ago. Just Shut Up.[/quote]

Brandonm2":28jeqaef said:
The only reason that worked, is because I had already said I was done commenting on that string (still don't know why a cow show topic drifted to the breeds board from the show board...where I NEVER say anything) AND had left for 3 days business in Georgia!!!
I don't care why it worked,

la4angus":10tixyff said:
Brandonm2":10tixyff said:
mtnman, I'll tell you like you told Brandonm2 a couplle of days ago. Just Shut Up.

Brandonm2":10tixyff said:
I don't care why it worked, I just hope it works :mad: :mad:[/quote]

That was one crying thread on how everybody was screwing everybody, show cattle at its best. Most of them there trailer and truck cost more than there house is worth have 20,000 aluminum trailer with Billy Bob's Ranch painted on it with a 40,000 Ford pulling the entire ranch.

Caustic Burno":1t3orc9p said:
la4angus":1t3orc9p said:
Brandonm2":1t3orc9p said:

Brandonm2":1t3orc9p said:
I don't care why it worked, :

That was one crying thread on how everybody was screwing everybody, show cattle at its best. Most of them there trailer and truck cost more than there house is worth have 20,000 aluminum trailer with Billy Bob's Ranch painted on it with a 40,000 Ford pulling the entire ranch.[/quote]

We can select cattle for most anything, if we are trying to increase frame, weaning, yearling etc. Selecting the higher numbers will take you there, in reverse would be moderating traits.

Mtnkid, I am not so sure where your edge comes from. But really what do you care? I have a picture of you in my mind, you may look like a deerfly that will only bite you in the ass. Certainly a pest to say the least.

Caustic Burno":4o1homqs said:
That was one crying thread on how everybody was screwing everybody, show cattle at its best. Most of them there trailer and truck cost more than there house is worth have 20,000 aluminum trailer with Billy Bob's Ranch painted on it with a 40,000 Ford pulling the entire ranch.

My sentiments exactly. Of course I made a bit of an ass of myself going out of my way to say that I didn't really care if the girl cheated or not. Like falsifying birth dates, performance data, and pedigrees or using illegal growth promotants are NOT almost routine procedures on the show circuit.

la4angus":3r9k6d01 said:
El_Putzo":3r9k6d01 said:
OK James. His official scan was 15.4. His EPD keeps improving so his sons must be doing pretty decent. This should help improve the RE in calves in the commercial herds across the country.

Thanks Lloyd, that's a pretty impressive REA.

El_Putzo":xhao7k92 said:
la4angus":xhao7k92 said:
El_Putzo":xhao7k92 said:

Thanks Lloyd, that's a pretty impressive REA.

15.4 is surely nothing to sneeze at, for sure. But in my situation, with a bull that scanned a big REA, by the time you breed him to smaller REA cows those REA's are smaller, then the resulting son is bred to smaller REA commercial cows, the crossbred calves are back to the normal Ribeye sizes.

Chasing REA, Marbling, Feed Efficiency, and Growth all at the same time is like a dog chasing his tail.

Not so sure I agree with you SRG.

Supply what the customer wants? Sure, right up until it impacts profitability of the Rancher.

Who's side are you on here, the feedlot, or the rancher?

Let me answer, the feedlot.

If you are on both, then there will be a balance. Your answer leaves no room for balance.

Pounds pay, but they cost, too.

Red Angus might jerk your membership if you're not careful.
:D

mtnman

mtnman":3e7zzg3w said:
Not so sure I agree with you SRG.

Supply what the customer wants? Sure, right up until it impacts profitability of the Rancher.

Who's side are you on here, the feedlot, or the rancher?

Let me answer, the feedlot.

If you are on both, then there will be a balance. Your answer leaves no room for balance.

Pounds pay, but they cost, too.

Red Angus might jerk your membership if you're not careful.
:D

mtnman

Hey Lloyd how is it on the defensive? Mtman listen to Lloyd, shut up.

Scotty":zwd8n5sc said:
Hey Lloyd how is it on the defensive? Mtman listen to Lloyd, shut up.
Just fine, if we could get the mtnkid to shut up. He should be pretty quiet for a couple days, beings this is Fri. PM. He'll be out of his little office for a couple days. Come Monday @ 8:01 he'll be back on here pounding away and studying the books to see what is MARC's weekend changes for the ideal cowherd.

Still got it in your head that I'm some sort of scientist, LA?

That's real funny.

The truth is I had enough friends and some family get burned buying into the Angus BS.

I decided to scrap most of what I knew about them, and look around, and really learn for myself, instead of just repeating BS w/o experience, like 95% of the Angus breeders.

Got tired of Hoff Bred cattle, and the horns and scurs they brought. Got tired of their size and what it did to our neighbors.

I finally wised up enough to ask the good questions, instead of just repeating mindless Angus BS. And that is what it is, mindless crap.

Real surprised to see a RA guy buying into it though. The RA guys tend to be wiser and more conservative than the Angus breeders, but there is one in every bunch, I guess.

mtnman

Latest posts