Hobby farmers = beef producers

Help Support CattleToday:

mwj

Reaction score
If we did away with all the beef from producers with less than 100 cows[hobby farmers], who would take up the slack? Most people realize that most of the grass in this country does not come in 1/2 sections and sections. What do you think we should do with all of the 20-60 acre parcels? Do you have the guts to rent enough 20 acre patches to run a few hundred head :shock: Maybe we should just import enough beef to take up the slack! What % of the cattle produced would come from herds of less than 100 cows? Maybe we should just mandate a minimum herd size so the ''real'' beef producers can show us how it is done 8)

I am really confused with your post. Are you for or not for small farmers. IMO, I dont think we should set a min herd size. If someone only wants/can only handle 1 cow then so be it. Thats their prerogative. I would rather see someone raising 2-3 head of cattle then someone rich city boy buying all the land and turning it into a subdivision.

I don't think anybody is for getting rid of the so-called "hobby farmers". They keep most seedstock producers in business, provide "full-time" ranchers/farmers with extra income doing machine work, keep the price of land up and the value of existing ranches higher than what it would be otherwise, produce a heck of a lot of GOOD cattle, and youth from such farms/ranches often become the leaders of this industry.

There is not a darn thing wrong with putting one cow or a 100 out on grass which you own if you have the extra ground and extra time. Anyone who criticizes people for raising cattle for pleasure and profit has a screw loose. WHAT does hurt all of us are hobby cattle. By that I mean cattle that are inefficient in the feedlot, hang a too lite or too large carcass, are lacking in REA, don't grade, and/or are stunted by untreated illness and/or lack of nutrition. This is an industry. IF you are a shoemaker, you should try to be a good shoemaker. If you teach school, you should try to be a good teacher. IF you grow tomatoes you should try to be a good tomatoe farmer. Dittoe with every other profession/trade. IF you are going to be a cattle breeder you should try to produce the best cattle that you can produce. Sadly there are a lot of cattle out there that are sold too light, never vaccinated, of unknown genetics, no muscle, etc. The industry DOES adapt to that by having specialty people who buy thin cattle, who medicate wormy calves, who castrate 750 lb bulls, who buy unacceptable carcass cattle (for a dock of course), etc and by stockers and feedlots who write a 3-7% death loss into their cost of doing business. IF we would all manage our pastures better, supply trace minerals, have a worm management plan, manage our cattle better, and work toward improving the cattle we produce; then we would be a more efficient productive industry and (in theory) we would all make more money.

This semi-retired, full-time, small farm, beef grower seems to do OK just running a few double handfulls of cows...farm pays for it's self and I don't have to get a town job.
We maintain a healthy customer base...just to take the load off the big operators that can't supply all natural, grass fed, farm raised, great tasting lean beef to the folks that like to pay preimum prices for quality beef.
Oh yeah almost forgot; our production is sold out until March so I guess that the small time guy does contribute to the overall beef production in this country and we make a whole lot more per head than the hundred bucks some others brag about making( or not making).
And that's my two bits worth...asked for or not!
Dave Mc

:roll: makes about as much sense as the origional post

Susie David that was just the reply I was looking for 8) It seems that many people are of the opinion that if you are not raising ''black'' cattle in large numbers you are a drag on the industry! If everyone raised all prime yg 2 cattle what would that do for the mkt. for lower priced beef? There is demand for all beef on the mkt. and price is the only differance. If we all raised those prime cattle who would take the price cut to sell to the low end of the mkt.? Do you think there is an oversupply of trim for grind or do you think that small ribeyes are the big prob.? If all those poor hobby cattle are that bad there is plenty of room in the grind market for them. I think people sometimes get there mind made up a little quickly. Very well thought out post :cboy:

mwj":14gqoiqn said:
What do you think we should do with all of the 20-60 acre parcels? Do you have the guts to rent enough 20 acre patches to run a few hundred head :shock:

The tax assessors have a minimum acreage for farm exemption. I forget what that it but it seems it was in the 25 acre proximity here in this county, before they would "consider" granting ag-exemption. With the price of land being several thousand per acre here, someone trying to start out from scratch would never be able to build himself into a cattleman on his own if you took away all the opportunity.

Most of us who inherited land, did so later in life. I bought my first land (8 acres) at the age of 20. Both sets of grandparents and my parents were alive then. They all passed on over the next 25 years. During that time I bought and sold (traded) pieces of land on my own. Once I acquired land by inheritance, it was a boost to something I was already doing.

Young people have to start somewhere.

Brandomn, that was about the best I've seen the hobby thing explained so far.

The hobby thing isn't numbers, it's attitude.

There are small herd guys of which I could name more than a few on this board I wager that could out manage and per capita out produce quality beef of any large scale producer.

That being said - lets not get too big a heads - if everyone with less that 80 head disappeared tommorrow, things would be settled by January. And not by imports.

ALX.":qscod5z4 said:

There are small herd guys of which I could name more than a few on this board I wager that could out manage and per capita out produce quality beef of any large scale producer.

That being said - lets not get too big a heads - if everyone with less that 80 head disappeared tommorrow, things would be settled by January. And not by imports.

I think the little guys are here to stay. I think it is the big ranches and the fulltimers whose ranks are going to get cut down (EVENTUALLY). 60 years from now, it is estimated that the American population is going to be 460 million ~50% more populous than it is now. We have seen this pattern before, and it leads to more big tracts being broke up as the metro areas reach further out into the country. I think Brazil is the future meat supplier of most of America in the decades too come.

Brandonm2":1ld0ivls said:
ALX.":1ld0ivls said:

We have seen this pattern before, and it leads to more big tracts being broke up as the metro areas reach further out into the country. I think Brazil is the future meat supplier of most of America in the decades too come.

This makes me so darn mad I wanna scream. I cant stand to hear stuff like that. But unfortunately it is the truth. One of these days we are going to have to find somewhere else to live and it aint going to be Earth. Unless we import food from another planet, or we all start growing corn in our back yards. They need to put a ban on how many kids you can have and how many cities they build.

Why not":1q9gntng said:
Brandonm2":1q9gntng said:
ALX.":1q9gntng said:

I think the little guys are here to stay. I think it is the big ranches and the fulltimers whose ranks are going to get cut down (EVENTUALLY). 60 years from now, it is estimated that the American population is going to be 460 million ~50% more populous than it is now. We have seen this pattern before, and it leads to more big tracts being broke up as the metro areas reach further out into the country. I think Brazil is the future meat supplier of most of America in the decades too come.

You mentioned the us population what about brazil; and the rest of the world? The us is not going to be the only place that is growing. That said look at chicken and hog production its all corporate run and owned. The difference is take the millions of cattle in the us it will be impossible to raise them like the chickens and hogs. So from where i stand the little guy will be more in demand.

I truly believe there will be a time that demand will exceed supply. If anyone doubts this just look at the oil production and consumption world wide.

You COULD argue that demand ALREADY surpasses supply. Don't you think some of those minimum wage folks in Brazil (~$100 a month) would like to be barbecuing some of those Nellore steaks they are exporting to Europe!! Right now if you have plenty of money you eat pretty darn good; but the poorest billion or so on the planet.....ain't eating T-bones, baked potatoes, cornbread, salad, and apple cobbler tonight!

ALX.":19sgtu98 said:

Care to come up with some figures to back that up? How much beef do you think the less than a hundred head guys are producing? Where are all the replacments coming from that have you in production by Jan.? Where are all these cattle going to run at since most range land is in use now? I would sure like to hear that January plan if you have time to post it :cboy:

Mongoose":21ps5da6 said:
Brandonm2":21ps5da6 said:
ALX.":21ps5da6 said:

We have seen this pattern before, and it leads to more big tracts being broke up as the metro areas reach further out into the country. I think Brazil is the future meat supplier of most of America in the decades too come.

This makes me so darn mad I wanna scream. I cant stand to hear stuff like that. But unfortunately it is the truth. One of these days we are going to have to find somewhere else to live and it aint going to be Earth. Unless we import food from another planet, or we all start growing corn in our back yards. They need to put a ban on how many kids you can have and how many cities they build.

-----------------------

People that raise cattle realize that if you exceed the
sustainable stocking rate of your pasture, both the
animals and the land will suffer.
People have multiplied on this earth as a direct response
to the abundance of foods produced by fossil fuels.
The earth is exceeding its "stocking rate"---our grandchildren
are going to be living a much different life IMO.

OK Jeanne":vt6wyhgr said:
People that raise cattle realize that if you exceed the
sustainable stocking rate of your pasture, both the
animals and the land will suffer.
People have multiplied on this earth as a direct response
to the abundance of foods produced by fossil fuels.
The earth is exceeding its "stocking rate"---our grandchildren
are going to be living a much different life IMO.

I've been waiting for someone to post these thoughts.

Either the "parasites" will completely kill the host or the "host" will bring the "parasite" level back to a reasonable and sustainable level.

If man doesn't kill each other off, Mother Earth will rebalance things the "natural" way.

George

Herefords.US":3f1bc6wp said:
If man doesn't kill each other off, Mother Earth will rebalance things the "natural" way.

George

There are other studies that say you are wrong. It is easy to understand you can't continue to feed a growing population with the fixed resources we have.

I find this post very interesting, but I am going to have to disagree with all of you as I am seeing small farms disappear very fast here in my area. Land has gotten so expensive and it dose not produce efficiently no one want to and cannot farm. I started putting my operation together 30+ years ago. Got an offer last year I should have accepted, but too late in life to make any changes.
One of our sale barns here is running about 60% or less than 15 year ago. All because of housing taking up the land and the best land in our area.
If and when beef can be produced like poultry small farmers will be working for the corporation.
As people have moved in regulations have put a down turn of our poultry,dairy and some beef. I think Argentina will take over poultry in the near future , because tyson is already looking at them.
Twenty year ago every- one had from 2 to 200 head of live stock on their farm or homesteads. Now it is dogs and horses.
Just an opinion. No facts

mwj":2lzileny said:
What % of the cattle produced would come from herds of less than 100 cows?

Do you know? Are you asking for help? I don't think you will like the answer.

I didn't see the sources or stats you are basing your opening statements on. Could you provide them so that we may all understand more completely?

Tell me you aren't serious. I drive by hundreds of acres everyday that could be put into more efficent production than it is now. How many acres are in crp that could be in wheat? how many acres of lawns are in the us right now? If we were that hungry we could plant vegatables. How many millions of tons of grass clippings go to the dump every summer?

I have friends that don't raise cattle and some that got out when prices fell , but both are in beleif that the beef markets going to crash again. I may be in denial but I dont see how it could with the demand so high and people selling farmland off for subdivisons.

Beef11":3546cbln said:

Tell me you aren't serious. I drive by hundreds of acres everyday that could be put into more efficent production than it is now. How many acres are in crp that could be in wheat? how many acres of lawns are in the us right now? If we were that hungry we could plant vegatables. How many millions of tons of grass clippings go to the dump every summer?

So true, but the ones who own those acres are either not willing, unable, or too ignorant to bring this into reality. Everyone with a McMansion thinks they need 5 acres to go along with it. Add those 1 to 5 acres up over the country and it could feed millions. Local governments are partly to blame, more tax dollars come off of those unused "pretty" acres because they raise the property value of the attatched house. You hear all of the talk about the greenhouse gases emitted from farming and cattle in particular, what about all of that mowing? Add to all of this the water that they use to keep it all green. Personnally I think they should rewrite the zoning codes. If people want to live in the city they need to be crammed in to be efficient. Death to the suburbs I say!! Look at the older subdivisions, most are normal sized lots with a minimum of backyard. Now they chop up 120 acres to put 30 houses on (true story I drive by it every day). Smaller farmers should be appreciated for putting the land to use or at least keeping the land available for use. If a small farmer tries and fails the land is still usable by someone else by sale or lease. What are the odds that the 4 acres in the front yard can be turned back into farmland without the local government and the neighbors raising hell?

Oh, I forgot to mention all of those good for nothing backyard horses. I am talking about the above mentioned "land owners" who think they need to keep three horses on that one acre. Pet peeve of mine to see a majestic creature standing ankle deep in a mud lot, never ridden and barely fed. At least a few calves raised on the same lot would have the mercy of being slaughtered at the end.

Latest posts