Hobby Farmer or not ?

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie":18n2vuub said:
If you talk to someone who runs cattle full time, everyone is a hobby farmer.

Some people want to use it as an offensive term. If it offends someone to be called a hobby farmer, then it is offensive. CG8 means it as offensive. Everytime she uses it.

Some people with cattle as a hobby have more net income than some trying it full time.

:shock:

It is offensive to ask someone how many cows they have.

To a really fat person, everyone is considered skinny. "lean" or "physically fit" or any other such terms are beyond their limited vocabulary.

I am a full time engineer. My cattle hobby takes up way to many available hours. I don't have time to ride around shooting videos.

Right now I am in San Angelo putting together a wedding. I'll be here all dang weekend and I should be getting wheat land prepared.

I understand that it is impolite. But I wonder why? It seems to be a pragmatic question to help set context and a point of reference if one is discussing common problems and challenges. Talking to a guy that has 20 stockers and someone running 200 mamma cows would be two very different discussions

HDRider":2hon821d said:
backhoeboogie":2hon821d said:

Some people want to use it as an offensive term. If it offends someone to be called a hobby farmer, then it is offensive. CG8 means it as offensive. Everytime she uses it.

Some people with cattle as a hobby have more net income than some trying it full time.

To a really fat person, everyone is considered skinny. "lean" or "physically fit" or any other such terms are beyond their limited vocabulary.

I am a full time engineer. My cattle hobby takes up way to many available hours. I don't have time to ride around shooting videos.

Right now I am in San Angelo putting together a wedding. I'll be here all dang weekend and I should be getting wheat land prepared.

I understand that it is impolite. But I wonder why? It seems to be a pragmatic question to help set context and a point of reference if one is discussing common problems and challenges. Talking to a guy that has 20 stockers and someone running 200 mamma cows would be two very different discussions

I was taught it was the same as asking how much is in your bank account.
As my dad would say none of your dam business. Son you have a full time job
trying to keep up with your business.

HDRider":1bvr4c46 said:
backhoeboogie":1bvr4c46 said:

I don't care if someone asks doesn't bother me.. If someone judges my income off the cattle I have that's great for me means they won't be asking me for shyt. :lol2: I have entered into a program with a local ag school and had a tour and about 60 people here that was one of the first questions. Some people may use that number you have and associate that you know what you are doing or simply be nosey I had a few shy of 100 up until recently I now have 34 head. Don't try to calculate how much money I have now because I sold the wrong week tomorrow is misses sky's birthday and she turn 30 so I gotta make her feel young again so all that $$ is gone :lol2: :lol2:

I don't even own any cows, I just like to tell you all how I would do it if I did. I'm the founder of the IFOfA (Imaginary farmers of America) but not to be confused with IFOA (Imaginary friends of America). At IFOfA, we take pride in our organization. It's a very select group which is why you've probably never heard of it. In all my years as an IFOfA member, I can tell you that no one has ever had more cattle than I. It just simply hasn't happened. I hate to give out all my secrets, but as a member of IFOfA, you'll learn key things like- never show your hand first. I've ran stockers, I've had a cow-calf operation, I've even been involved in the feed lot industry. But even as an IFOfA member, I've never been dumb enough to own a dairy like some people. Even with an imaginary dairy, it's just too much dam work.

If any of ya'll are interested in IFOfA membership, you can message me.

For a small one time upfront entry fee, not only will you get official membership, but you can chose from an assortment of contrived agricultural associations decals of which you can claim membership by placing one or two on your vehicle; we will ship you some real cow manure to rub on your jeans, or your hat, or your boots- you choose!; our quarter-annual membership fees come packaged appearing as vet bills, feed bills, fuel bills, parts... leave them laying around and your friends will be amazed, or leave them on the dash of your truck and wadded up in your glove box or stuffed in the cup holder like a real cow man; we'll send you a weekly email of rural words with pre-made sentences that you can show off. Plus there's more. At IFOfA, we care about your appearance.

If your a man or woman that just needs time away from the family.... maybe it's the kids, maybe you have a special someone, maybe you just want to watch the games or go hunting. IFOfA, may be the organization for you. It might just be the perfect side business you need to take care of your "side business". Think about the time after work, or weekends that you could be spending at the "farm". You decide when the farm is the busiest or when the dang heifer(s) is/are going to calf. For a small service fee, we can send more regular billings, bank statements, loan payments, letters from tax agencies to throw off more immediate family members.

Maybe you need a little extra money for the ponies, playing poker with the guys, or that other little secret habit of yours? We can help you out! We can set up an automatic draft to your personal bank account and get that farm of yours in the red in no time. You can find the cash in your IFOfA checking account and make withdraws as YOU see fit. A small interest fee will apply.

Remember, your happiness is just one membership away!

Not responsible for divorces, IRS complications, lost child custody, child support, new children, alimony, jail time, job loss, substance abuse, failed re-hab, diseases (above the belt, at the belt or below the belt), death threats, broken legs, or just a good beating.

Caustic Burno":1lkrso4e said:
That is funny, boy I like your sense of humor.
Did you send your "small one time fee" in CB?? PO was closed so mine won't go out til Monday. :lol2:

My state has a definition. I am not certain what the criteria is to be one or the other. Years ago a person had to have more than 7 head of cattle before being allowed to count the expenses for tax purposes. The "tax break farmers" would buy 7 head for their estate and count everything as a farm expense. Not sure if there is a specific number anymore.
The state has me listed as a farm. Our tax person says it is easier to be a hobby farmer. Do not have to show a profit with a hobby farm yet get to deduct legitimate expenses if you are showing income.

TexasBred":2t9am1e0 said:
Caustic Burno":2t9am1e0 said:
That is funny, boy I like your sense of humor.
Did you send your "small one time fee" in CB?? PO was closed so mine won't go out til Monday. :lol2:
Is that address in Battle Creek Michigan? I'll have to wait awhile--haven't saved up enough box tops from the corn flake boxes yet.
(you have to be old and have a good memory to 'get' that)
Do I get a set of Ginzu steak knives with my membership?

Commercialfarmer":2e6b4xww said:
I don't even own any cows, I just like to tell you all how I would do it if I did. I'm the founder of the IFOfA (Imaginary farmers of America) but not to be confused with IFOA (Imaginary friends of America). At IFOfA, we take pride in our organization. It's a very select group which is why you've probably never heard of it. In all my years as an IFOfA member, I can tell you that no one has ever had more cattle than I. It just simply hasn't happened. I hate to give out all my secrets, but as a member of IFOfA, you'll learn key things like- never show your hand first. I've ran stockers, I've had a cow-calf operation, I've even been involved in the feed lot industry. But even as an IFOfA member, I've never been dumb enough to own a dairy like some people. Even with an imaginary dairy, it's just too much dam work.

If any of ya'll are interested in IFOfA membership, you can message me.

For a small one time upfront entry fee, not only will you get official membership, but you can chose from an assortment of contrived agricultural associations decals of which you can claim membership by placing one or two on your vehicle; we will ship you some real cow manure to rub on your jeans, or your hat, or your boots- you choose!; our quarter-annual membership fees come packaged appearing as vet bills, feed bills, fuel bills, parts... leave them laying around and your friends will be amazed, or leave them on the dash of your truck and wadded up in your glove box or stuffed in the cup holder like a real cow man; we'll send you a weekly email of rural words with pre-made sentences that you can show off. Plus there's more. At IFOfA, we care about your appearance.

If your a man or woman that just needs time away from the family.... maybe it's the kids, maybe you have a special someone, maybe you just want to watch the games or go hunting. IFOfA, may be the organization for you. It might just be the perfect side business you need to take care of your "side business". Think about the time after work, or weekends that you could be spending at the "farm". You decide when the farm is the busiest or when the dang heifer(s) is/are going to calf. For a small service fee, we can send more regular billings, bank statements, loan payments, letters from tax agencies to throw off more immediate family members.

Maybe you need a little extra money for the ponies, playing poker with the guys, or that other little secret habit of yours? We can help you out! We can set up an automatic draft to your personal bank account and get that farm of yours in the red in no time. You can find the cash in your IFOfA checking account and make withdraws as YOU see fit. A small interest fee will apply.

Remember, your happiness is just one membership away!

Not responsible for divorces, IRS complications, lost child custody, child support, new children, alimony, jail time, job loss, substance abuse, failed re-hab, diseases (above the belt, at the belt or below the belt), death threats, broken legs, or just a good beating.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

greybeard":1yl37eyc said:
Is that address in Battle Creek Michigan? I'll have to wait awhile--haven't saved up enough box tops from the corn flake boxes yet.
Heck GB I'm old enough to remember sending in the lid seal from a jar of Ovaltine and join the Captain Midnight Secret Squadron Club. Got a secret decoder pin that would write with invisible ink (milk) too. :lol2: :lol2:

TexasBred":2fsgnsbv said:
greybeard":2fsgnsbv said:
Heck GB I'm old enough to remember sending in the lid seal from a jar of Ovaltine and join the Captain Midnight Secret Squadron Club. Got a secret decoder pin that would write with invisible ink (milk) too. :lol2: :lol2:

Can you remember selling cloverine salve and if you sold enough you could win a BB gun. Also a young person could get garden seeds to sell to win a prize. A lot of the young male youngsters also peddled the Grit Newspaper.

hurleyjd":1ppyjlvo said:
Can you remember selling cloverine salve and if you sold enough you could win a BB gun. Also a young person could get garden seeds to sell to win a prize. A lot of the young male youngsters also peddled the Grit Newspaper.
I remember Cloverine salve but never sold it. Did deliver the "Grit" for a couple of month. Also sold greeting cards one year to make the money to go to Boy Scout Camp for a week. $13 all inclusive. :lol:

I don't consider our level of involvement with cattle to be hobby level. We do bale hay for some folks that I would call hobby farmers, though. I think for me it hinges on whether or not there is intent for profit, legitimately.

One hobby farmer we bale for wanted to give us a bullcalf she is sentimental about but I had to promise to keep him forever. Well, I declined. But that is a typical hobby farmer move, in my opinion. Other friends we have treat their cows more like pets and there is no real plan or focus for making them earn a living. Not owning a bull or having breeding plans, the cows simply exist. I'd say hobby farmer.

I prefer to say that I am "risk averse" and I understand that the market can be volatile. Great one day and wipeout the next. Because of this, my spouse and I both kept our day jobs. This ensures that we can make payments on the land and equipment, whether or not the cows or hay baling earns a dime. But the expectation is that the cows will pay for themselves and make a profit.

When my cows can not generate revenue to maintain them and
put folding money in my back pocket they are gone.
I am not in the welfare cow business.
I can tell you pretty close right now without an unforeseen O Shyt.
If I closed the books today each cow would have generated 360 bucks in income.

Caustic Burno":2427czbh said:
Better question how many really know what it cost to keep a cow standing in a pasture a day.

But we're just HOBBYists.

Want to say $1.68. Rear tractor tire was expensive. The cows had to pass a hat. Carrying surplus hay. Could sell some to get the cost down. Fertilizer was high. Have not priced wheat seed yet. It's a long time until January. Could even have a vet bill this year.

Using fence wire and surplus T posts from last year. That should actually go for this year but my books aren't cooked that way. So I really can't give a true number CB.

Latest posts