Hobby Farmer or not ?

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't go out at 3 am in a thunder storm, to check for newborn, just to be called a Hobby Farmer.
I don't work in below zero temps, feeding hay, chopping ice, vac. calves, and grinding corn, just to be called a Hobby Farmer.
I don't shoot a calf with a broken back, dig his grave, and then listen to the mama cry for the next four days, just to be called a Hobby Farmer.
I don't get kicked, cut, stabbed, head butted, and run down, just to be called a Hobby Farmer.
I don't walk miles in the blazing sun, or the freezing cold, fixing fences, and drivin post, just to be called a Hobby Farmer.
I don't keep records, balance my budget, manage my herd, cull cows, and decided which one's to keep for replacements, just to be called a Hobby Farmer.
I don't go to bed at night with my legs hurtin, my back hurtin, unable to sleep cause i'm worried about how the newborn, and cow are doing, or about the sick steer in the feedlot, just to be called a Hobby Farmer.
So if you would like to call me i'm a Hobby Farmer, I would gladly sock you in the nose any given Sunday.

I just don't know. My cows supplement my income, but aren't my primary source of income. They aren't pets, but if I didn't enjoy working with them I'd find another source of supplemental income, one that didn't involve things like fixing fence in drizzling rain on Christmas Eve because someone ran off the road.

The minute it looks like having cattle will cost me money instead of making it, they'll be gone. I can't afford to keep them if they aren't making money, but to be honest I'd probably miss having them. I've had cattle (in relatively small numbers, I'll admit) for almost 40 years, and I don't take well to change.

I suppose if forced to define the term "hobby farmer" I'd say it's someone who has food animals as pets and doesn't expect or want to make any money from them. With that being said, if anyone wants to call me a hobby farmer they can go right ahead. I'm not that easily offended, and the list of people's opinions I care about, especially concerning something so trivial, is pretty short.

Hard to take any of it serious. Consider the source.

Do doctor's refer to other doctors as hobby doctors? Are there hobby investors? Is Bill Gates a hobby nerd?

We all made choices. I did anyway.

You have a lady riding thru pastures on a toy thinking she is all that. So what?

My hair hurts. I had too much fun last night.

It makes no matter to me if I'm considered by others as a Hobby Farmer. I just try to convince the IRS each year I'm not one.

fitz

I got under 50 momma cows and run a bull year around . Feed little hay in the winter . I took a load of calves (12) to the sale last week and got around a $15,000 check :D . Call me what you want :banana: , Will be that time again in about 3-4 months

I'm not offended by the word at all. I consider who used it so willingly to group all of us into one group consisting of anybody with fewer cows than here and I'm glad to be in that group. I owned a lot of cows one time...could drive down the few miles and look at an operation that made mine look like a "hobby dairy". :lol: Maybe she needs to get out more and meet other folks. Not that she needs them and not that she would listen to them. I thoroughly love being around cattle. I enjoy the current high prices. Might make money this year. I won't go ballistic when prices go down.

Only place we all messed up is by being honest with that old gal. All of us should have said we had a minimum of 300 head. She would have **** and never been seen again.

TexasBred":2glnv3p6 said:
I'm not offended by the word at all. I consider who used it so willingly to group all of us into one group consisting of anybody with fewer cows than here and I'm glad to be in that group. I owned a lot of cows one time...could drive down the few miles and look at an operation that made mine look like a "hobby dairy". :lol: Maybe she needs to get out more and meet other folks. Not that she needs them and not that she would listen to them. I thoroughly love being around cattle. I enjoy the current high prices. Might make money this year. I won't go ballistic when prices go down.

Only place we all messed up is by being honest with that old gal. All of us should have said we had a minimum of 300 head.
She would have **** and never been seen again.

Naw she woulda just claimed to have 500 head. I guess I should introduce her to my friend. I saw the check from superior for his calves last year...it was around 1.3 million dollars.

I didn't realize the term hobby farmer could be so inflammatory. I've never actually been called a hobby farmer by anyone. I suppose if I were discussing cattle with someone and they said, "Well, you're just a hobby farmer," I suppose it would seem a little rude, but I don't mind calling myself a hobby farmer. I've searched the web for information before and would run across articles with "Hobby Farming" in the title and thought the contents probably fit me more than a big time article.

Some made good points. I'm sure there aren't hobby doctor's. I watch some of the ag shows on tv, look at some magazines, see the equipment some people have and the hours they put in, and I don't feel like a drop in a bucket to that; however, I am going through the motions of a larger operation. In other words, I'm not just running a pet cow on a few acres and putting ribbons on her tail.

I just assumed most people would consider me a hobby farmer, but some mentioned income as a sign of not being a hobby farmer. If that's the case, maybe I'm not. It may give me a swelled head to discover by definition that I'm big time like everybody else.

I am not a hobby farmer , I work here full time and the profits are my income .

My husband however is a hobby farmer ,much to his dismay. :lol: :lol2: :p

hillsdown":3jtikkv0 said:

At least he has a great boss! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

If the cows pay for my Hobby's I'm just a Hobby farmer!!

One quarter of beef pays for my Montana Out of state Hunting tag.

And the horse and mules benefitted also, eating "cow" hay. :D

3waycross":18hba8dr said:
hillsdown":18hba8dr said:

He thinks HE is the boss . :lol: :lol: :roll:

hillsdown":1nupd81u said:
3waycross":1nupd81u said:
hillsdown":1nupd81u said:

He thinks HE is the boss . :lol: :lol: :roll:

That's OK if it makes him feel better. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Latest posts