Hobby Farmer or not ?

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":1siohcxh said:
What number of head must you have to not be considered a hobby farmer?Ask Cowgirl8
What did she say she had? 250? (I wonder if she knows not to count the calves and bulls) If she runs 250 then the answer must be 249 and under.

chippie":3r4v0m81 said:
Whether or not a person is a hobby farmer (doing it as a hobby) is that person's choice. I believe in Freedom of Choice and am running for Vice-President of the HFOA.
I don't want to be President because I don't want to have to work.

Thank you for your vote of confidence in advance!

CHIP_zps77220d37.png

I would say if you are engaged in agriculture production
If your are turning out a product that will be utilized by a consumer whether it be cotton, corn, milo, hay, cattle, hogs and etc
Whether it be 2 cows and 10 acres or 1000 cows and 10000 acres
It is not a hobby farm
If you have a herd of goats, chickens, flowers, shrubs, garden produce and etc that never enters the supply chain. That is a hobby farm

The way I see it its not the size or the scale of production that determines whether it's a hobby

backhoeboogie":25nnd67e said:
If you talk to someone who runs cattle full time, everyone is a hobby farmer.

Some people want to use it as an offensive term. If it offends someone to be called a hobby farmer, then it is offensive. CG8 means it as offensive. Everytime she uses it.

Some people with cattle as a hobby have more net income than some trying it full time.

:shock:

It is offensive to ask someone how many cows they have.

To a really fat person, everyone is considered skinny. "lean" or "physically fit" or any other such terms are beyond their limited vocabulary.

I am a full time engineer. My cattle hobby takes up way to many available hours. I don't have time to ride around shooting videos.

Right now I am in San Angelo putting together a wedding. I'll be here all dang weekend and I should be getting wheat land prepared.
Go over to Zentners and have a steak--you'll feel better afterwards.
(ask the owner if the steak came from a hobby farm steer or a real ranch steer, cuz evidently, it makes a difference)

My cuz is a hobby farmer he has better than 2,800 moma cows. And 15k acres in oranges and grapefruit. But it's only a hobby to him. To me a hobby is something that cost you money, like hunting and trap and skeet shooting.

Well. I got something on all of you!!

My "hobby" is paying for my kids college education, so there!!! :nod: :lol2: :tiphat:

I guess the only one qualified to answer these questions is CG8.
Some others, like Aaron are also full time ranchers, but they don't seem prone, for some odd reason, to sling the 'hobby farmer' barb around. Never saw that Idaman did it either.
Go figure.

greybeard":3apj28hg said:
I guess the only one qualified to answer these questions is CG8.
Some others, like Aaron are also full time ranchers, but they don't seem prone, for some odd reason, to sling the 'hobby farmer' barb around. Never saw that Idaman did it either.
Go figure.

You noticed that too eh?

Something that involves me working with barb wire in a 100+ degree day is not a hobby. To me a hobby is something relaxing like collecting stuff or putting together a puzzle or reading a book.

I work for a major corporation and raise cattle on the side as a BUSINESS and a significant part of my retirement. That works for me and frankly I don't give a flying shyt what anyone thinks about it.........and at around 1000lbs a day I have probably sold more beef than anyone on these boards especially the one who's name cannot be said.

3waycross":38i0outi said:
I work for a major corporation and raise cattle on the side as a BUSINESS and a significant part of my retirement. That works for me and frankly I don't give a flying shyt what anyone thinks about it.........and at around 1000lbs a day I have probably sold more beef than anyone on these boards especially the one who's name cannot be said.
Not that you're bragging or anything :mrgreen:

backhoeboogie":1eovfbty said:
It is offensive to ask someone how many cows they have.

Just about everyone who walks on this place asks how many cows I have.
Then they either say "that's a nice little number"
or they say "wow and you do it all by yourself?"

Out here a hobby farmer is called a "lifestyler" and its a derogat... you know... phrase. But a smaller farm like this one can fall into the upper definition of a "lifestyle block".
My hobby is my cows and doing it as a job allows me to indulge myself full-time. So the term is not offensive but was used by the aforementioned in a manner intended to be offensive

TennesseeTuxedo":3m9ctqli said:
I'm lower than a hobby farmer, I'm a hobby farmer wannabe...

Heck, I don't even own a cow in my name. :cry2:

I've known some that didn't sell them in their name....but they dam sure picked up the check. :???:

skyhightree1":3rfuprhh said:
TexasBred":3rfuprhh said:
skyhightree1":3rfuprhh said:
With all this who is a hobby farmer and who isn't .. I have a few questions.

What is a hobby farmer to you? No idea but am one
When are you not a hobby farmer?Never...hobby all the way 24 hours a day
What number of head must you have to not be considered a hobby farmer?Ask Cowgirl8
Is it offensive for someone to call you a hobby farmer?
He// no..I'm on the board of HFOA

:lol2: I thought you were the CEO of B.D.O.A.
Many titles Sky Azz....I"m also the MFIC around my house. :lol2: :lol2:

Hook":atds8o3y said:
3waycross":atds8o3y said:
Not that you're bragging or anything :mrgreen:
Evidently he never "gives" any of it away like at Christmas etc....no coolers of meat have arrived at my place. :!: :!:

ive been a full time cattlemen and retired dairymen since i was 18.will be till i die.

Latest posts