Hitch adraggin'...and a couple other pix

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
That poor lil' Dodge had to drag this load 40 miles home...Dad had to pump up the tires a bit so's the hitch wouldn't drag so much on the road and create a whole lot of sparks as we went along :lol: ...usually a farmer would have a 3/4 ton to do carry THAT load, but this tough little truck did a good job bringing home a bunch of new fenceposts...125 new fence posts, btw.

DSCF0309.JPG

Oh yeah, and he had the rotating beckon on the top of the cab to get folk's attention that there's a slow-moving vehicle on the road.

DSCF0310.JPG

There's the hitch draggin in the snow, lol!

DSCF0311.JPG

Another side veiw...

And now for a couple of different pics I took of the fresh snow we got today:
DSCF0318.JPG

DSCF0314.JPG

Good ol' sunset...saying "there's no place like home to come to at the end of a good and productive day!" :D

Somebody has cabinfever! Drink a pepsi and go to bed, you feel better in the morning. :) :)

Karin,

She's loaded alright. Are the springs ok now? :p

Beautiful pics. but, you folks up north can enjoy it. We may make it thru this winter without our usual 1" or so snow....at 1/8th" or 1/4th" at a time. 8) Looks like we have a good chance.

Alice":2ms9wbyk said:
Matt S":2ms9wbyk said:
I counted 122 posts. You better take that bundle back. :D

You counted them? :shock: Why?

Alice

Because we all watch out for each other here jinx. ;-)

We wouldn't want any of our internet buddies to get screwed, would we? :shock:

MikeC":2ulqux5c said:
Alice":2ulqux5c said:
Matt S":2ulqux5c said:

Alice

Put out the flames, you two! It's a joke! My goodness, it's almost like you two have a personal agenda against me.

Grow up!

I think the springs on that truck are okay now, just that we were more worried about going over them railway tracks in the middle of town (them tracks seem like the roughest spot anywhere's we've been :shock: ) with that load...the hitch would REALLY hit them hard and we'd be bouncing around in the truck like the dickens, teeth jarring, fearing our load of fence posts'd fly off onto the middle of the tracks... :shock: :p :lol:

Anyways, 122 posts shouldn't be THAT bad...there's always extra posts around here that are kickin' around if we run short :p ...the folks at UFA charged Dad for 175 posts (at least, that's what it sounded like), so had to change the order to 125.

But we're good...looking forward to putting in a new pasture just west of the house come spring...

Matt S":1v7rhauk said:
MikeC":1v7rhauk said:
Alice":1v7rhauk said:
Matt S":1v7rhauk said:

Alice

Put out the flames, you two! It's a joke! My goodness, it's almost like you two have a personal agenda against me.

Grow up!

Settle down Matt, they probably figgered you were and just went along with it... ;-)

IluvABbeef":f9q34zy6 said:
Matt S":f9q34zy6 said:
MikeC":f9q34zy6 said:
Alice":f9q34zy6 said:
Matt S":f9q34zy6 said:

Alice

Grow up!

Settle down Matt, they probably figgered you were and just went along with it... ;-)

Naaaa, ya' just had to be there. ;-)

Alice/jinx

sidney411":3p0ne7yh said:
I'm assuming you drive then in with the end being pointed and all. What do you use to drive them? Tractor bucket?

Yep, pointed end down. We'll use the tractor bucket OR with a rented post pounder. But the bucket's only useful if we only have a few broken posts to fix/replace in the pasture, so, with building a whole new pasture come this spring, we (or at least the folks hired to to the job) will be using a post-pounder. Faster and more efficient. ;-)

Thanks for askin' btw. :)

sidney411":wjyb5orl said:
We don't build fence like that down here. Any wood post are drilled and set in concrete.

Why's that? The earth where you are don't hold them as good and solid?

IluvABbeef":1wqtqcv6 said:
sidney411":1wqtqcv6 said:
We don't build fence like that down here. Any wood post are drilled and set in concrete.

Why's that? The earth where you are don't hold them as good and solid?

Too much rock to drive them here. They'd be like toothpicks by the time we got 'em in the ground.

There's either too much rock or the ground is like mush and they travel too much and the fence won't stay tight. The only post we drive are T-post. How do you set your corners?

sidney411":1tcj76c0 said:
There's either too much rock or the ground is like mush and they travel too much and the fence won't stay tight. The only post we drive are T-post. How do you set your corners?

We set used crossties or locust posts 36 inches deep. Got to be good used crossties, not the ones that are all cracked and splintered.

sidney411":10c1apys said:

We set them with cross ties AND T-posts, just makes the whole length of fence stronger; posts are pounded in at about the same depth as BB's. Right in the middle of the fence line there's a cross-tie-T-post, which is also Dad's idea of strengthening the fence. Cross ties are just quadrupled-up telephone wire (fairly new stuff), and a stick (thick, sturdy one) is stuck in and twist the wires until a body can't twist it no more (I'm pretty sure that's the same method you all use, right?) We aslo make a 6-wire fence along the road and 5-wire fence not on the road. Sure helps having extra wires on there so the cattle don't stick their heads through the fence. How many wires do you put in?

A lot of people concrete wood post, down here 2. But they'll
rot faster set in concrete than they will if they are driven into the ground. Concrete holds water, earth will disipate it. I use steel pipe myself, we generally pound em in unless I hit limestone slab rock. Never had problems with with mushy ground, just have to use big diameter & drive it deep. I want that king hitter driver where I can get a pilot auger or a rock spike pilot doo dad and be able to drive thru slab rock. My little shaver will drive em pretty good tho.

Latest posts