Hit the Genetic Defect Jackpot

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
Lucky_Me not to be confused with Lucky_P. My year old retained heifer came back DDC. No problem. I plan AI for her anyway. Just need to select DDF sires and all is well.

I had 1 cow come back DDC now i need to check her calf that i retained and maybe the next one if its any good, then she will become a recip for a year and gone. I dont want to check every calf and shes 10 so no big deal.

bse":18x5apph said:
I had 1 cow come back DDC now i need to check her calf that i retained and maybe the next one if its any good, then she will become a recip for a year and gone. I dont want to check every calf and shes 10 so no big deal.

That is a good point, Barry. Their progeny still may be carriers and the ones you keep will need to be tested.

Two of my old herd bulls came back CAC. I had not seen any problems with the herd but tested out of interest. I have not had any important commercial issues. I think I have had two homozygous calves out of hundreds (they looked odd and tall and narrow). I just will not have a carrier bull on the place now and the angus studbook makes that easy as the genetic status of the bulls is in the sale catalogue.

I think I would have more of a worry, say with AM, as I am told it can kill the cow if the calf is to deformed to come out.

I got to thinking about genetic issues because I purchased a studbook program and started filling it in and noted that the sires of some cows had been CA carriers. Knowing how deep and far back in the pedigrees these old extremely widely used bulls are it became clear to me the CA gene is widespread in the whole region.

If you cull everything on the place that could carry a lethal recessive gene, you will cull the lot, yourself included. We ALL carry lethal recessives somewhere in our genome. It is just when they become common because of modern animal breeding techniques that we get to know about them. I appreciate the angus society for finding and making available the genetic status. We can then keep the good genes and unselect the bad ones, which is what breeding is about.

If I was breeding stud cattle I would think about culling on this. On the other hand I bred myself a heifer bull out of a few registered cows. The best calf was out of a CA carrier sire with a (possibly) AM carrier cow. That calf had a 25% chance of being testable defect free so I didnt have much hope. But he was. So I got the good part of the genes I wanted and not the bad.

It is cheap and easy to test. I would not cull a commercial cow on being a carrier, so I see no reason to test a commercial cow.

We have two NH positive females, both half angus half simmental. We test every natural calf born, and if they are positive and a bull, they get cut. We never breed to a NH positive bull.

No sarcasm from me. Written as intended, intended as written.
Make lemonade with the lemon you're dealt.
GOOD defect carriers needn't be discarded; just bred to non-carrier animals.

My best bull calf last season tested AMC. Because he may be my last chance to breed from his dam's line, I'm going to use him sparingly over a few of my mature cows. His sons will make great steers, so no problem and I'll test all daughters. AMC daughters will make great beef. It's buying into more of the same for a couple more years, but I'm the boss, so my choice. I only have his mother left of the AMC cattle, having bred around it and kept only clear daughters.

The good thing, compared with when all this stuff first came out, is that the tests are easily available now.

Ron, I got a clear bull out of Future Direction (AMC/NHC). Felt like I'd won the lottery, since the 25% chance of that happening was a low chance when you look at the months it takes to produce such an animal!

Latest posts