historical Hereford and Angus photos

Help Support CattleToday:

John,

The pictures are painted in an exaggerated form of expression but the point is made. I notice the bone is thin. They exaggerate that to extreme, almost like cartoon characters. Says they were used for draft. Being large, you would expect more bone and leg for draft.

Even the ones that are photos (first photo of a cow, 1868) have less bone in the leg. Interesting. I wonder how accurate the weights are. You don't reckon that would exaggerate that?

Hehe. Look at Cotmore, 4000 pounds and legs like toothpicks. The art of that day is more interesting than the cattle story. :D

Interesting. Cattle Art has stayed the same for 400 years. They still depict them with tiny legs:

16jfrbd.png

The second part of the story is pretty amazing. In about 50 years we went from 3,000 pounds to 895 pounds.

JWBrahman":3xvzo667 said:
The second part of the story is pretty amazing. In about 50 years we went from 3,000 pounds to 895 pounds.

Interesting, but who is that guy making whipping cream? :!:

I read the second part earlier. It is amazing. It made me wonder if we know what we want. Somewhere in that Bell curve is the right size.

Saw a steer at the sale last week that looked like the freemartin cow in the third picture. A little of a cross between her and the angus in the fifth. Was the weirdest looking bovine I have ever seen. Huge.

greybeard":3unuw3ae said:
Part 3 is just a rolling hill of extremes, but I remember seeing the giants at Houston.

We are back where we were socially and cattle type in 1968-1969.

Latest posts