Hiring day labor?

Help Support CattleToday:

kickinbull

Reaction score
Morning all, I am considering hiring someone to help get up firewood. I have someone in mind but don't know how "helpful" they will be. What would be a fair starting pay per hour? If things work out, I can raise it accordingly. TIA.

: Depends on area. 10- 15 dollars
You sound like this might be a more than a few days deal. If so that's not day labor. When you get over 600.00 dollars you have to issue a 1099 to contract labor. Of course if you're paying by the hour and he's using your saw and truck, that don't work. He's a employee and you must collect FICA, as,mc. And match as,mc...at 7000.00 dollars you must pay unemployment insurance. ....I know your gonna pay cash....that works until he goes to the unemployment office... :shock:

The easiest way is to pay by the cord, his truck, his saw..1099

The easiest way is to pay by the cord, his truck, his saw..1099

I like this best. Your not paying for union breaks ;)

How old is "someone in mind"? Kids around here do odd jobs all the time, anywhere from $8 - $15 an hour, contingent on the job & their experience. Also depends on whether you're doing half the work and how well you know him. Or her. Neighbors generally refuse money but will accept a case of beer or take them out to dinner/gift certificate. Also, is this for a couple hours or an all day event? Little more info would be helpful; define "get up". Already corded? Or are you talking about cutting down the trees & splitting the wood?

The pay thing if they will work $10 a hour as you can always go up or offer a bonus if they need it.

What would be better is buy the fire wood or get propane heat... Propane is cheap compared to wood heating. If the person you have hired gets hurt it may cost you everything you have. A tree limb falls on them, they get cut by the chainsaw, a wedge flies out and hits them, etc. etc. as getting firewood is a very risky job...

jltrent said:
The pay thing if they will work $10 a hour as you can always go up or offer a bonus if they need it.

What would be better is buy the fire wood or get propane heat... Propane is cheap compared to wood heating. If the person you have hired gets hurt it may cost you everything you have. A tree limb falls on them, they get cut by the chainsaw, a wedge flies out and hits them, etc. etc. as getting firewood is a very risky job...

Again.... independent contractor

Hippie Rancher said:
split the load of wood he keeps half and he can sell it if he wants.

There's virtually no market for firewood. I heat with wood and it's not a better deal than gas or electric. Plus, people are too lazy to mess with wood.

shaz said:
There's virtually no market for firewood. I heat with wood and it's not a better deal than gas or electric. Plus, people are too lazy to mess with wood.

Lots around here heat with it, both for real and for decoration down on the warmer desert, and of course some woods make a heck of a steak. I know of a few who even still cook indoors with it. Somebody makes money off of it, even circle K sells plastic bags of wood (prob imported from china) and I have to run somebody off the leased ground every year that think they can just come cut with no permits.

Latest posts