hiring cowboys

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
if yall use cowboys and horses to pen and sort hard to catch cows and calves what do they charge todo so.the reason im asking is because my nephew used 2 cowboys and horses to catch and load a bull he sold.so we was going to use them to catch 4 big hammerhead calves thats hard to pen.plus a cow calf pair and 3 heifer calves.well they said they would do it for $200 and haul them to the sale barn.so we said ok and set the time.5 mins later he calls back and says itll have tobe $300 so we say no.we will pen them.then last nite 1 guy shows up ready to work.and i have to tell him that we told the other guy no for now.so he wasted fuel over for nothing because his buddy didnt call and tell him the deal was off.

I get $200 for the first one, and $150-$100 for the ones after that. I really won't go catch just one any more. It's worth more than $200 in time and fuel. That's also a young mans game.

Bigfoot":2trd8zv4 said:
I get $200 for the first one, and $150-$100 for the ones after that. I really won't go catch just one any more. It's worth more than $200 in time and fuel. That's also a young mans game.
how much would you charge for day work.by that i mean getting a herd up sorting penning and loading what needed to go to the sale.personally i thought what they was wanting was to high plus i really dont know them or how they work and sort cattle.

I don't know about where you are but a few of the sale barns around here will send someone out to pen and haul cattle not sure if they would charge you for few head but I have helped them with herds as small as 10 and seller didn't have to pay a dime

We get $150-$200/ day for just day work. A buddy of mine and myself also find a catch some hard to get cattle, sometimes its one, sometimes it is a bunch. We charge on the situation, and its usually cattle that are spoiled or wild that we typically have to use dogs to find and rope/tie or drive the cattle to get them out. We don't get a call unless we are really needed. If its to the point that I am being called for a catching deal, its usually between the choice of calling me and getting the cattle, or not getting the cattle at all. The most I have ever charged is a 50/50 split on the cattle at the sale and that was an extreme case. But even at a 50/50 split, what is cheaper? Hiring me and getting half of whatever they bring or not hiring me and getting 100% of nothing?

Most catching deal we have run around $400-$500, and that gets you two men, dogs, and a catch trailer if stuff gets roped in the pasture. There are a few cases where its cheaper and there are a few cases when its obviously more expensive.

When you think about the risk people take who catch wild or spoiled cattle, its really not that expensive. You have just the cost and time of showing up, you could loose a tire on truck or trailer loading cattle in the brush, dangerous for horses and dogs and people. Good cow horse $5000-$7000, good set of finished cow dogs $5000-$10,000, could get killed or injured (vets aren't cheap), then you have all the regular maintenance of working animals even if they stay safe. Ruin a rope -$50. Ruin a hat- $100, tear up jeans and shirts in brush $75 (I have had shirts dang near ripped off my back). Thats a lot at risk and stuff to support that we are not asking anyone to take responsibility for when something goes wrong. If I have a dog killed, its going to take 10 more regular catching jobs to replace that dog.

All that and it doesn't even include all the bad habits we have to support like rolling dice, dipping snuff, or all the wild women we try to catch free of charge :D

wacocowboy":2i2o0by9 said:
I don't know about where you are but a few of the sale barns around here will send someone out to pen and haul cattle not sure if they would charge you for few head but I have helped them with herds as small as 10 and seller didn't have to pay a dime

Sale barns in northern Kentucky charge a hauling fee just to back the trailer up to the gate and load them out. I have no clue what they'd charge to round them up or if they even offer that service.

our local barn has cowboys they use.but those cowboys arnt allowed on our place at all no matter what.because they will catch the cattle that they are supposed to.but they stir the cows and calves up so bad they run through the fences.the sale barns here charge $3 to $4 a mi to haul cattle.

TennesseeTuxedo":y0ntnqdw said:
wacocowboy":y0ntnqdw said:

Sale barns in northern Kentucky charge a hauling fee just to back the trailer up to the gate and load them out. I have no clue what they'd charge to round them up or if they even offer that service.

Local barns haul your cattle for free here.

A buddy of mine and his friend charge $200 to come and catch one. He's always said they negotiate a lower rate for any animals over the first one. The same guy works several herds in the area for farmers but no idea what he charges per head.

bigbull338":3pd4vf7n said:
Bigfoot":3pd4vf7n said:
how much would you charge for day work.by that i mean getting a herd up sorting penning and loading what needed to go to the sale.personally i thought what they was wanting was to high plus i really dont know them or how they work and sort cattle.

I have never really done that, and it really wouldn't be needed in my area. My catches 90% of the time, are cattle on the farm they belong on, they just can not be handeled by what the farmer has available. I have cought nuisance/loose livestock for the county, but it makes more enemies than friends. So I stopped.

as my daddy used to say.......

"It don't cost a da_ned bit more to feed a good one than it does a sorry one....."

I constantly select for disposition....too old to fight em any more

Bigfoot":3cbf98h1 said:
bigbull338":3cbf98h1 said:
Bigfoot":3cbf98h1 said:

I have never really done that, and it really wouldn't be needed in my area. My catches 90% of the time, are cattle on the farm they belong on, they just can not be handeled by what the farmer has available. I have cought nuisance/loose livestock for the county, but it makes more enemies than friends. So I stopped.

Mine as well. Price for us all depends on the situation and what is needed to get the job done. A simple catch in a pasture will run $200, thats about as cheap as it is going to get though. After you factor in diesel and time, it hardly makes it worth it for $100/ man.

I hired out to "help" catch some up in the cedar breaks around Mineral Wells, TX once. Those cows had never seen humans before. If it wasn't for the dogs, our success would have been futile.

backhoeboogie":1ipvmt4f said:
I hired out to "help" catch some up in the cedar breaks around Mineral Wells, TX once. Those cows had never seen humans before.

If it wasn't for the dogs, our success would have been futile.

That statement is gonna require some translation.

There is a show on GAC called Highway Cowboys it is about guys in Texas who go round up strays but don't say what they charge

3waycross":rvofxp7g said:
backhoeboogie":rvofxp7g said:
I hired out to "help" catch some up in the cedar breaks around Mineral Wells, TX once. Those cows had never seen humans before.

If it wasn't for the dogs, our success would have been futile.

That statement is gonna require some translation.

Can't ride a horse through cedar breaks. You could lead your horse through some areas. We would have been worthless for catching anything without the dogs running the cows out into the open.

If it wasn't for the dogs, our success would have been futile.[/quote]

That statement is gonna require some translation.[/quote]

Can't ride a horse through cedar breaks. You could lead your horse through some areas. We would have been worthless for catching anything without the dogs running the cows out into the open.[/quote]

So you are saying your EFFORT would have been futile. You really had me scratching my head on that one! :lol2:

Latest posts