Hip Locked ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Farminlund

Reaction score
I have watched just 2 births this fall (out of 30 +) - the first I rushed up & cut veil off the calf's head & when the ma got up a min or 2 later she started her licking at the calf's hind end. Did I save this one?

The second one came out & I rushed up to see if all was well & the cow immediately got up & so did the calf (still hanging out, stuck at the hip). I have always had easy success with freeing the calf in this situation with usually a tug & a twist. Not so this time, all the pulling & twisting with my hands could not free the calf. I went back to the barn for the "chains" & when I returned the calf was yelling at the top of its lungs. Ma let me get the chains on the legs & both the wife & I took hold & pulled while the ma pulled back. It freed & plopped to the ground (about a 100#er).

I check the herd just before dark & then again in the AM. If this had happened at 8PM what would have been the outcome?

Are these episodes of divine intervention?

these are episodes of intervention. in all likelihood both calves would have survived. but you never know. i feel like the second case was more like interference than anything. but you got two live calves so who cares. i still think we can do a lot more harm than good trying to help sometimes.

Maybe you saved the one you pulled the sack off, or maybe it would have ripped as the cow got up. Don't know what would have happened if you weren't there, but you do know it's alive now. I've done the same thing as you did.

The hip locked calf probably would have popped out when the cow layed down again, and she would have layed down. The calf was breathing, which is good because the umbilical cord would have been clamped shut from the position the calf was in. I'd have been inclined to give the cow a little more time on this one. But you can't knock your outcome, you got a live calf and mom is well, too.

Based on your description, I do think you saved the first one because it sounds like he had been delivered. He probably would have suffocated by the time his mother got him cleaned and got the sac off his head. The second one would have probably been alright, but it's hard to say for sure. In my honest opinion, you did good! :)

I'm going to echo msscamp's words if she doesn't mind. You can second-guess yourself til the cows come home but the fact is you have two live calves, I'd be content.

cfpinz

cfpinz":3q8g0m6f said:
I'm going to echo msscamp's words if she doesn't mind. You can second-guess yourself til the cows come home but the fact is you have two live calves, I'd be content.

cfpinz

I don't mind a bit! :)

Thanks all for the inputs - yes, it is good to have a two healthy calves. I just was looking for inputs on what ya'll thought would happen if I had not been there. Seems that the only ones I see deliver are those that need help - just wondering out loud.

Farminlund":3ok1ajal said:
Thanks all for the inputs - yes, it is good to have a two healthy calves. I just was looking for inputs on what ya'll thought would happen if I had not been there. Seems that the only ones I see deliver are those that need help - just wondering out loud.

If thee only ones you see need help, I would suggest you get a bit more patience before pitching in.

dun

dun":2ookv77t said:
Farminlund":2ookv77t said:

If thee only ones you see need help, I would suggest you get a bit more patience before pitching in.

dun

Man Dun did you hit the nail on the head. Only cows having trouble are the ones they see, this could only be so unique due to some cosmic event in the universe, kinda a space time warp continum for this to have happened.

The same thing I was thinking. The second cow probably "jumped up" because you startled her rushing over to help. But then, we are all speculating here. The next time one calves.. take the time to sit and watch and give the cow a chance. It sounds like you may be jumping the gun.