High and low price months in KY

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
I'm sure this varies depending on what part of the country one is from. For those in KY, what months typically have the highest and lowest prices at the sale barn for beef?

I thought there were some Kentuckians here, but maybe not. I'll take information from any surrounding states. I assume weather and conditions are similar to KY.

I can tell you that in my area and the states around me, that the best market is genrally november to the first part of april. and the worst is july thru october.

herofan, I think that from now till mid-May are the best pices for lightweights. Around here there are gobs of heavier feeders (7oo up to 950 or so) leaving here on pots headed for the feedlots of Iowa and Nebraska in October and November. From Thanksgiving until mid February are the cheapest lightweights, in my opinion. One of the biggest killcow plants ( Cargill- Taylor) is here in PA , killcows and fats are usually better here through the grilling season.Especially 2 weeks before each summer holiday.

Typically the high would be May & June, with the low being middle winter months. Some factors include the availability of grass locally and the price of corn needed for the feedlots out west.

lowellcantrell":1ofs3dtc said:
Typically the high would be May & June, with the low being middle winter months. Some factors include the availability of grass locally and the price of corn needed for the feedlots out west.

Thanks for the reply. I knew there was a Kentuckian on here somewhere! :D

Latest posts