hiefers calving

Help Support CattleToday:

rc

Reaction score
While checking my hiefers yesterday I noticed that the ones who had been exposed to a young bull probaly 12 months old were kind of bagging up in thier nipples. I'm used to horses but is this a sign that maybe he got em bred and that they may be getting ready to calf?

Springin' is by my defination, when you see the udder starting to fill. Some of my heifers are starting to spring now and they are due the end of february. On my place the heifers start to spring earlier than the cows.

Another sign of springin could be when the cows start to drop. They will sink on both sides of their tailhead. I have one old cow that will drop and sink. Then she dissappears and comes back with a beautiful udder and a bouncing baby. No sign of milk beforehand.

Maybe mine are springin. I never saw the little fella do any business but I know that nature will help find a way.........like hills and ditches and stuff like that.

A yealing can get it done. Sounds like you have calves to look forward to! Heifers are harder to estimate like certherf said. Watch the vulva for loosening and sagging. I have a picture of a heifer just before she calved--but it just doesn't seem right to post. Good luck!

Among dairy folks, I'm used to the term "springer" refering to a first calf heifer that's less than a month away from calving. For instance, in this week's auction report:

Dairy Sale

Top Springer Avg $2,230
Top 10 Springers Avg $2,140
Top 100 Springers Avg $1,880
Short Bred $1,240-$1,510

As to the heifers bagging up...again, I'm used to dairy animals and not very familiar with beef...the dairy heifers can start bagging up a month before calving. Sometimes more. Usually depends on what size udder they'll end up with when they calve as to how long it takes them to get there.

I've occasionally kept track of how long it takes a cow from when her udder starts to swell to when she calves...it averages about 14 days (again, that's for the dairy cows - I wouldn't know about beef cows).

Fellersbarnoneranch, I see no reason not to post the picture. Some people can't tell when changes are happening. Mostly those that haven't seen it before. Your picture of your cow could help those that aren't sure.

anothe BIG sign of a cow gettin ready to calf soon is a swollen vulva. Black cows are really easy to tell with this... Charolais and reds seem to not be so noticeable to the untrained eye... I'll see if we have a picture of it...

Agreed. Here are the more tasteful pictures
PANA1984.JPG

PANA1983.JPG

PANA1982.JPG

These were taken just about 14 hours before calving. The udder began filling two weeks prior, but you could really see the filling out of the teats within the last couple of days.

How do you like the size of that open smooth-mouth cow keeping her company?

Chuckie":1nd02qsc said:
That should give someone an idea of what to look for. It is easier sometimes to show with pictures than to try to describe it. The open cow looks like she is overdue!

well I spose she is in a way...

Fellersbarnoneranch, I have a heifer that has been showing the signs of calving for the last two days. She looks exactly the way your picture shows, but seems to be enjoying the fact that we seem to be more concerned than she is. Her sides have really sunk in and I see movement in her abdomen that looks like the baby might be getting lined up. She has a thick clear discharge, so I keep thinking, "Maybe in a few hours." Her tailhead was so nice and round, but now it looks like an older cow with a high tailbone. The other heifer did the same way, but returned to normal afterwards. Well, it's time to go check again.

Chuckie":1n3tz4jo said:
Fellersbarnoneranch, I have a heifer that has been showing the signs of calving for the last two days. She looks exactly the way your picture shows, but seems to be enjoying the fact that we seem to be more concerned than she is. Her sides have really sunk in and I see movement in her abdomen that looks like the baby might be getting lined up. She has a thick clear discharge, so I keep thinking, "Maybe in a few hours." Her tailhead was so nice and round, but now it looks like an older cow with a high tailbone. The other heifer did the same way, but returned to normal afterwards. Well, it's time to go check again.

I have lost a lot of sleep checking on a heifer that had her calf while I was at work.

When the back end of my British cattle start looking like the back end of a Brahma cross or the Brahma cross's back end starts slapping itself I know it is getting close. The discharge is probably the mucus plug. I had one lose hers a month before calving. The bull thought she was in heat (appently it is hard to say no to a 2600 lb bull) and I panicked and palpated her. Palpation class is worth every dollar!

Latest posts