hermaphradite calf????

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm sorry, the thread seem to have gone from sex to cross breeding. I was wondering what your goal as the combinations of breeds,f2-b longhorn/red angus/black maximizer, Brahman. The question is not designed to be a criticism, just wondering how it would be beneficial in Montana.

brahma was just an example. i dont own any or have crossed any. longhorns are pretty, angus are what our buyers ask for and black max usually beef up our calves. the benefits would be lean meat, thick calves and quick growth. we began with 7 foundation longhorn heifers and an angus bull. about 3 years after that bull we got a red angus. he is the great grand-sire of the calf in question. we kept 4 daughters of him and after him we bought a black max bull. he sired the calfs dam. then another black max and we leased 2 more black max bulls. one of them was a uncle to the mother and we linebred him to her and got hermes. but i guess we just go with whats going on as most of our bulls were black. but our calves usually are alot thicker than the angus on our road. the oldest is 3 months and looks 5 months. although most of the neighbors laugh at us for having spotted cows, ours do better than theirs.

longhornlover3498":1l3vxu2n said:
brahma was just an example. i dont own any or have crossed any. longhorns are pretty, angus are what our buyers ask for and black max usually beef up our calves. the benefits would be lean meat, thick calves and quick growth. we began with 7 foundation longhorn heifers and an angus bull. about 3 years after that bull we got a red angus. he is the great grand-sire of the calf in question. we kept 4 daughters of him and after him we bought a black max bull. he sired the calfs dam. then another black max and we leased 2 more black max bulls. one of them was a uncle to the mother and we linebred him to her and got hermes. but i guess we just go with whats going on as most of our bulls were black. but our calves usually are alot thicker than the angus on our road. the oldest is 3 months and looks 5 months. although most of the neighbors laugh at us for having spotted cows, ours do better than theirs.

Any chance you could post some pictures of the crossed up cattle?? Curious to see what these critters look like.... :compute:

At ranchers, if you click on the thumbnail pic to bring it up full size, right click on the pic and choose 'properties' then copy the address:
http://ranchers.net/photopost/data/500/ ... lla_01.jpg

posting it like that is a direct link to the pic. Choosing Img from above the posting box here or typing it out like this (without the spaces) should show the pic in your post.
[ img ]http://ranchers.net/photopost/data/500/medium/Blue_bell_n_bella_01.jpg[ /img ]

Blue_bell_n_bella_01.jpg

longhornlover3498":3oh2j6op said:
snowflake_n_hermes_01.jpg%20[img]
http://ranchers.net//photopost/data/500/medium/hermes_01.jpg[/img]
Here you go longhornlover. All you need to do is get your picture up on ranchers.net (make sure it is a big picture not a small one from the top) just right click on it and hit copy image URL, then when composing a message on here click the Img square on the top and make sure the cursor is in the middle and hit control V and it should work. It sounds harder than it is.
I like the black maximizer bull. Those are nice calves out of those cows. I would stick with this combo if I was you.
downsized_0615121802.jpg

downsized_0615121803a.jpg

Autumn_n_hugo_01.jpg

Dq_n_blizzard_01.jpg

Beautiful country too!

ok. thanks steve. i guess i could try that then. and thanks for the compliment. by the way none of those calves are sired by that bull. he was leased out and we had 2 seprate groups of cows with 2 different blk max bulls.

Taurus":2618ve4j said:
These calves will be excellent market steers instead of use them as herdsires.
That's what I'm thinking also. I have a Linebred polled Hereford breeding my longhorn cows/hiefers and plan on trailer weaning all the calves. I'm really hoping he throws polled calves but I won't know till next spring. I'm probably crazy but I think cheap mama's that will last are the ticket as long as I have the right bull on them. I plan on taking advantage of thier natural resistance to disease and worms and will not vaccinate or worm them. Time will tell.

ohiosteve":2cr7vnxw said:
Taurus":2cr7vnxw said:
These calves will be excellent market steers instead of use them as herdsires.
That's what I'm thinking also. I have a Linebred polled Hereford breeding my longhorn cows/hiefers and plan on trailer weaning all the calves. I'm really hoping he throws polled calves but I won't know till next spring. I'm probably crazy but I think cheap mama's that will last are the ticket as long as I have the right bull on them. I plan on taking advantage of thier natural resistance to disease and worms and will not vaccinate or worm them. Time will tell.

You're not the only crazy one, I've been advocating that for years!

The natural resistance to disease and parasites is more a sales gimmick than economically significant. Use good beef growing practices on your cheap cows and you'll reap the benefits ten fold.

Latest posts