hermaphradite calf????

Help Support CattleToday:

longhornlover3498":1iqznw35 said:
today when i went out to look at the cows and check for calves,snowflake had a black calf sleeping by her feet. snowflake is a LH/blk max/red angus cross. last year we line bred her her sires brother. when i reached under the calf i felt small udders my first thought was that it was a heifer,but when reached more towards that rear end that calf had nuts too! i got IT to stand up and my grandfather and i looked under it and we saw the teats...but we saw the nuts as well... :help: :help: :help:
Check your male cat, dog, hog, goat, hampster, your BF -- your calf . . . got nipples?

longhornlover3498":1eve348p said:
Taurus":1eve348p said:
SHE is a 14 years old.

Why leave him intact if he is a longhorn cross...not good bull for commerical breeding..
well apparently he's good enough for the buyer.
Either the buyer is only a hobby farmer or rodeo stocker, a longhorn cross bull have no place in commerical cattle operations. That bull will bring less money for him if he throws colored calves.

he's wanting colored calves. he came out to our place the day hermes was born and was looking at our bull calves. he has 40 longhorns,corriente and shorthorn cows. he tried to run a longhorn bull with them but he didnt like him very much. he said he wanted a black bull that had a low BW, was long and thin at birth,was polled and that wasnt ornry. so we let him pick and he said he'll pick him up after weaning so that he can monitor what he eats.

longhornlover3498":3e9lzg36 said:
he's wanting colored calves. he came out to our place the day hermes was born and was looking at our bull calves. he has 40 longhorns,corriente and shorthorn cows. he tried to run a longhorn bull with them but he didnt like him very much. he said he wanted a black bull that had a low BW, was long and thin at birth,was polled and that wasnt ornry. so we let him pick and he said he'll pick him up after weaning so that he can monitor what he eats.
What did the calf weigh?
Valerie

longhornlover3498":27qrqekl said:

If he wants & gets a black bull then he shouldn't expect colored calves. This bull most likely is not homozygous black, and could throw colored calves but he'd get more color by using a colored bull. BTW, you do know when you say 'colored calves' you're talking about getting reds, yellows, roans, & spotted calves?

longhornlover3498":dvum2woc said:
KNERSIE":dvum2woc said:
Longhornlover3498, I'm just curious, how old are you? Male or female?
dont mean to be rude but, WHY :shock:

Knowing your age and gender would explain why you ask the questions you do and will most likely ensure you get more informative answers and fewer sarcastic remarks. I know it shouldn't make a difference in the way someone replies to a thread, but it does and I know I am just as guilty in that regard.

vclavin":3mnjvgg8 said:
longhornlover3498":3mnjvgg8 said:
What did the calf weigh?
Valerie
68 lbs. may i ask why?
Chris H":3mnjvgg8 said:
longhornlover3498":3mnjvgg8 said:

If he wants & gets a black bull then he shouldn't expect colored calves. This bull most likely is not homozygous black, and could throw colored calves but he'd get more color by using a colored bull. BTW, you do know when you say 'colored calves' you're talking about getting reds, yellows, roans, & spotted calves?
he told us all his cows are colored or spotted so he wanted a bull that standed out with his cows. he didnt not want a homozygous black bull though. we also asked him why he didnt just go with an angus or a limo,he said he didnt like them. he wanted plenty of hybrid vigor in his calves so he said the best bull for him was a cross breed.

I am happy you are trying and asking questions. Wish more young people would. I am a little older, 40 years, but I still learn a few things. I just have problems remembering them. hahaha

Well he won't expect any hybrid vigor from a water downed longhorn cross bull. He just needs is a purebred bull to give hybrid vigor in the calves. Best thing is if you cut all longhorn cross bull calves, they don't makes a good commerical bulls.

ok. i was just waiting for you post something that would make me mad taurus. lol like i said earlier he doesent want a purebred bull. he wants one that will most likely throw spotted calves. in his experience a purbred bull will throw more solid colors than spots. and besides theres nothing you can do about it now...because he bought him already! hahahaha

obviously you don't get it what I am saying about use crossbred bulls for commerical operations. If he wants have some hybrid vigor and some growth in the calves, a purebred bull is the ticket. If he use a longhorn cross bull on puredbred longhorns and others, he won't get any hybrid vigor, just water downed longhorn calves that he is getting. I'm sorry that what you don't want to hear what I am saying but I just think its terrible idea.

ok i get what you are trying say. but this guy has purchased bulls from us in the past and he was quite satisfied with the calves they threw and it wasnt us who contacted him he contacted us. and its not like its a crime that he's using a crossbred bull is it? i dont really see the difference between what he is and a hereford/angus/brahma. i know they are different breeds and all but it seems that you have a strong dis-like for longhorns...pure or crossed. thats just the way i see it.

Where I said that I don't like longhorns? I owned different breeds as well...its just I have a problem with use a crossbred bull for breeding. It doesn't make any senses to use a crossbred bull with longhorn genetics on the longhorn cows to produce same results when he used a purebred longhorn bull on them. The real question is what he do with the crossbred bull after two years of breeding (assuming he keeps replacements)?

he keeps his bulls for 3 years. he doesnt keep replacements for the first year. then after he's done with the bull he turns him into hamburger for his family and then gets a new bull. the last one he got from us was 2 years ago. he sold his longhorn bull after only a year.

taurus not everything in life has to make sense. If the guys wants to use a longhorn cross bull on longhorn cows on amount of talking about it here is going to change his mind!

Latest posts