herford-simmi cross

Help Support CattleToday:

lilfarmgirl

Reaction score
I have sent the girls for breeding with a simmi bull. I am sure someone out there has done this, the place I took them has never seen a simmi-hereford mix. Anyone know what kind of results this will get? The bull is a nice looking bull, I do not know much about simmis in general. The girls threw big calves for their first year with no problems (thank goodness). Our first set of calves are baldies (and as a proud first timer I think they look pretty good).

Lilfarmgirl

lilfarmgirl":3d1wmgwf said:
I have sent the girls for breeding with a simmi bull. I am sure someone out there has done this, the place I took them has never seen a simmi-hereford mix. Anyone know what kind of results this will get? The bull is a nice looking bull, I do not know much about simmis in general. The girls threw big calves for their first year with no problems (thank goodness). Our first set of calves are baldies (and as a proud first timer I think they look pretty good).

Lilfarmgirl

You should get some darn good calves. I watched a sale on the TV a couple weeks ago and there were some HerefxSimm and they were some of the best calves that I have seen in a long while.

I have seen quite a few of this cross over the years, most of them in Namibia, a former German colony. They make a nice framy steer with good beef cover, if your grazing will support the F1 hiefers they make great moms for a large frame terminal cross.

The hereford X simmental is a great cross. You get the best of both worlds (yield and quality) plus super dispositions. In fact, it is widely suspected that simmental blood was injected into the herford breed to increase frame and growth a couple of decades ago. Does anyone remember the littly bitty herefords from the fifties? ;-)

Does anyone remember the littly bitty herefords from the fifties?
Does anyone remember the itty-bitty Angus of the 40's-50's? Answer - YES, and it we aren't careful we will find ourselves with larger than the 40-50's cattle, but with bone size problems, funnel-butts, too high milk EPD's, low fertility bulls, and good phenotype front ends, and Dairy-type rear ends. Look at what a lot of Angus cattle are looking like right now! . . . .enough EPD's to make Scrambled Eggs! Ridiculous and Absurd!

DOC HARRIS

We have seen lots of that cross up here.simi/hereford cows bred back simmi have been known to pound the scales

The best group of cows I've owned in my life were out of herf and red angus mamas and a red fleck bull. Calm, excellent milk, and their calves were whoppers. Only complaint I had was the cows broke down quicker than my average cow.

cfpinz

cfpinz":56gizzgr said:
The best group of cows I've owned in my life were out of herf and red angus mamas and a red fleck bull. Calm, excellent milk, and their calves were whoppers. Only complaint I had was the cows broke down quicker than my average cow.

cfpinz
R.L. - what do you consider the reason(s) for your cows breaking down? . . . .and how long did they retain their integrity prior to breaking down? Could you explain what you mean by 'breaking down'?

DOC HARRIS

cfpinz":35yv587t said:

cfpinz

How could they be the "best" group of cows if they broke down quicker than your average cow?

lilfarmgirl":qpqemrvs said:

Lilfarmgirl

We have 4 herefords that we sometimes we breed to our black simmental bull. They come out ok. The one had a black baldie last year, this year she had a red baldie. I wouldn't mind using it for my daughters 4-H steer for next year.

DOC HARRIS":s4qavxei said:
cfpinz":s4qavxei said:

cfpinz
R.L. - what do you consider the reason(s) for your cows breaking down? . . . .and how long did they retain their integrity prior to breaking down? Could you explain what you mean by 'breaking down'?

DOC HARRIS

Perhaps "best cows" wasn't the term to use here. A better term would have been the group of cows that raised the best calves, sorry for the poor choice of words.

What I mean by breaking down is that not one of them made it to the 12 year mark. They put everything they had into their calves and it showed, calves weighed good but pulled mama down hard. These cows had more frame than the rest of the cattle, and as they got older, lost a lot of condition when nursing. I would guess on average they held their integrity up until 8 years old or so, then slipped into the "hard keeper" category - poor condition, slow breed-back, etc. So in the long run, they might not be considered the most profitable cows, but they made me some good change while they were here.

cfpinz

here are pictures of our first calves from the cows we sent out to breed with the simmi. Whatcha think?

bulwinkle
gabe_009.jpg

fancy
gabe_014.jpg

lilfarmgirl":1dd4cedr said:
here are pictures of our first calves from the cows we sent out to breed with the simmi. Whatcha think?

bulwinkle
gabe_009.jpg

fancy
gabe_014.jpg

Kind of hard to see in the dark. The bottom pic looks to be maybe OK, but in the top pic all I can make out is a whiteface.

Latest posts