Herf or Simmi?

Help Support CattleToday:

TnWI

Reaction score
The calf in question is the red/white bull calf in the pictures. His mother (Simmental/Holstein cross) was bred to Angus - but an accident occured, and she was given the wrong semen. He was born in June, weighed out 100+ lbs, and has a fantastic build. I am taking a poll as to what you all might think which breed the semen could have been - Herford? or Simmental? Other?

100_06881.jpg

100_0689.jpg

100_0690.jpg

hereford. them blacks have grown since last i saw them. did you ever eat the charolais?

Them blacks have calved a couple of times since you have seen them -- charlois went to market, don't know if anyone could stop laughing long enough to eat him.

TnWI":8suakku1 said:
Them blacks have calved a couple of times since you have seen them -- charlois went to market, don't know if anyone could stop laughing long enough to eat him.

thats funny!

White Neck, it's a Hereford. On a Holstien/Herf/Guernsey cross of ours, we have bred her to both Hereford and Simmi. Both resulting in steer calves. Herf puts in the white neck, Simmi puts in the Simmi pattern. Being that the mom is only 1/2 Hereford, if the calf was Simmi, I would have a hard time believing that there is enough Herf influence to put on near-perfect Hereford markings like that.

Since the usual Simminthal neck patch is across the neck and the Hereford neck patch is lengthwise, based on the neck patch of the calf I'ld put my money on Hereford. But it's been pretty well shown that coloration adn pattern is a fairly poor method of determining ancestry.

dun

simmental, its just a guess, but My bro-n-law has raised quiet a few that looked like that off of herford cows, and angus cows, and had many crossbred cows, but no other guess on simi, so thats my guess, seen many like it of the bro-n-law's that looked very much like that, even since the black simm.

tryinhard

Latest posts