Herf AI suggestions

Help Support CattleToday:

Chris H and I have had the same situation arise with scurrs. We both know what the rule states and neither of us are into streaching the rules. In my case, I called hereford about my calf. They told me I could remove them and they would record on the registration papers polled/scurred. A scurr is not a horn.

The field rep agreed that they were scurrs and agreed that I could remove them and designate the calf polled/scurred.
If they are removed before the proper documentation is made, then they are dehorned and are recorded as horned.
Boyd Blue blood for example...I'm told he showed as a horned bull with a smooth head. He was scurred and they removed them without their field rep's "ok". If they had jumped thru the proper hoops, he would have shown polled.

The scurrs are removed on show cattle to improve the general appearence not to decieve anyone. I have every intention of makeing it know that my calf was scurred. Based on my dealings with Chris, I'm sure she does as well.

Back to the origional question...How about Gerber Lombardi. Alan?

certherfbeef":ux7lie9q said:
How about Gerber Lombardi.

That question made me relook at him and I'm glad it did. When he first became available he had a hip height that would have given him a mature FS of around 7 so I steered clear of him. Now his mature hieght gives him a FS of less then 6.

Cert, I'm glad you mentioned Lombardi. I hadn't thought about him in a while but he'd probably make a nice match with a Heavy Hitter daughter we have. You can just about guarantee a Gerber bred animal will have good udders.

certherfbeef":1ujj9uek said:

Chris H and I have had the same situation arise with scurrs. We both know what the rule states and neither of us are into streaching the rules. In my case, I called hereford about my calf. They told me I could remove them and they would record on the registration papers polled/scurred. A scurr is not a horn.

The field rep agreed that they were scurrs and agreed that I could remove them and designate the calf polled/scurred.
, then they are dehorned and are recorded as horned.
Boyd Blue blood for example...I'm told he showed as a horned bull with a smooth head. He was scurred and they removed them without their field rep's "ok". If they had jumped thru the proper hoops, he would have shown polled.

The scurrs are removed on show cattle to improve the general appearence not to decieve anyone. I have every intention of makeing it know that my calf was scurred. Based on my dealings with Chris, I'm sure she does as well.

Back to the origional question...How about Gerber Lombardi. Alan?

You both know the rules...but :roll:

Listen to what you are saying here "If they are removed before the proper documentation is made" What good is documentation if we are going to mask the genetic make-up of an animal?

"The field rep agreed that they were scurrs and agreed that I could remove them and designate the calf polled/scurred."

What was probably meant here is that the calf could be registered under polled but should be listed in the database as scurred. A search of polled genetics for given traits would bring the calf up, but the individual animal would be listed as scurred (including the registration papers). There is no AHA database which searches for "scurred genetics" (which would probably be helpful, but is inevitable with the breed so is it really necessary?)

"He was scurred and they removed them without their field rep's "ok". (need to interject this here :roll: ) If they had jumped thru the proper hoops, he would have shown polled."

So are we going to talk about showing, or are we talking about breeding stock? Is there a difference...should there be a difference? I doubt general appearance is the motivation. It's about marketing good polled or horned genetics. How many people (buyers. etc) you think research polled genetics when they look at a bulls lineage on paper and then see his picture for winning awards at the nationals. They see a smooth head and assume polled. Most informed buyers seeking polled genetics would not consider the bull if they knew he was....or had been...scurred. T205, F243, and many other popular bulls in the past, and even current ones, have fallen into this trap and are no longer desired in the immediate lines of polled animals because of their genetic makeup. I'm sure 'ol Blue blood lost allot of popularity because of this fact, and the breeder hurt their reputation....(maybe just a tiny bit.. :) )

I would never purposely register a calf that is scurred... as a polled animal. I feel if my customers wanted to know the genetics, or if anyone wanted to know the genetics down the line by looking through the AHA database then I need to have there classification listed correctly. I would not want to be searching for polled genetics in an animals line, only to find out later the sire, dam or particular animal was actually scurred ( just as certherf and Ollie have demonstrated in the case of 19D in this thread) However, there are some of my cattle which have developed scurs later and were sold before the papers could be changed so it was out of my hands. I have had papers changed to reflect the later if they are in my possession and I note the change or occurance.

I suppose you can argue show rules with breeding animals all day long as to what is appropriate and what is not, but as for me I think the show rules elude to the same justification as we should expect in breeders reporting breeder stock. It keeps the system accurate, and keeps the strains from being misinterpreted in their genetic make-up. If I sold a bull to an individual who was looking for straight polled genetics and I had the scurs removed, listing him as polled, then what am I saying? Even if I informed the individual of my asthetic alteration of the animal and the buyer was still ok with it?... (because of not being educated or familiar with it),.. that person could still remarket the animal with my brand on the papers and the new owner would not know the difference until a higher number of scurs and horns appeared in the calves...ruining his opinion of my reputation, my breeding stock and my genetic base in my herd.

Whew! Lot of typing... :)

Gerber is one of the best at udders, but look at how he got there and look at the bulls Doug used in his program ...Felton's 490, 517, 745, 774, Braxton Giant 1, Boomer 46B, Embracer 8E, Tradition 434V, and 103T genetics. These bulls have a tendency to produce outstanding udders in the females in the first place. Lombardi was no exception to many of the other young bulls in the Gerber program, but he was fed out and marketed well. He has a paternal half brother (with very simular maternal genetics) with 103T genetics on the bottom side (which I would favor) that was listed in the AHA semen catalog a year or two ago. Gerber Linesman was his name and you could probably get his semen cheaper.

I havn't seen any mature Lombardi daughters, so I don't know how they are doing. All the calves from him seem very petite, with small bone.

1848, if I bought a bull under the assumption he was horned, and he was really scurred then I'd be upset. Scurs & horns are different genes, a heterzygous polled animal can have scurs.
A scurred animal will tell you there are horned and polled genetics in the background. Misrepresentation should not happen, but I think it's bad to call a scurred animal, horned; for it does have a polled gene.

I agree, you can not search the Hereford website for scurred animals, but animals are registered as scurred/polled/horned.

Chris H":2ztp94u0 said:
1848, if I bought a bull under the assumption he was horned, and he was really scurred then I'd be upset. Scurs & horns are different genes, a heterzygous polled animal can have scurs. A scurred animal will tell you there are horned and polled genetics in the background. Misrepresentation should not happen, but I think it's bad to call a scurred animal, horned; for it does have a polled gene..

Try explaining what you just said to your customers...and use the words "should not happen" with them :lol: They want smooth polled with no scurs,...or Horned..not to many buyers call me looking for a scurred bull with polled genes...or a dehorned Horned bull :shock: :roll:

If I bought a Horned bull without Horns....... :lol: :roll:

Chris H":2ztp94u0 said:
I agree, you can not search the Hereford website for scurred animals, but animals are registered as scurred/polled/horned.

Hello? I already said that. Are you not arguing changing the papers based on an "approval" of a field rep, or for the sake of classifying an animal for show (actually classifying period) for either "polled" or "horned"? Lets just get rid of the scur term all together and let the judge sort them out for undesireable characteristics.. :p (if they are) Who cares if it says scurred on the papers right?...Let em all say polled because they carry the "polled gene". If we are going to alter the classification, and registrations how are we improving the genetic strains.

1848 I have seen Lombardi in person and thought the same thing about him as what you say about his calves.

Latest posts