Charolais bulls for AI

Help Support CattleToday:

Roanhorse

Reaction score
Recommendations for Charolais bulls available for AI? Good temperament comes first. Moderate sized with good feet, good maternal traits. Thanks

I am not a big user of Charolais bulls but I do keep one in my tank to cross with one or two red Angus cows. I buy my semen from ABS and will be ordering a bull called VISTA 29CH0218. simply because docility is also on the top of my list in selecting bulls. He is the only one in their lineup that list him as "super docile" plus his dam has a great udder. No info on feet quality or size. I look forward to seeing what else is available from other post to your question.

I don't know if you're a member of that group on Facebook: Let's Talk Charolais. A lot of good suggestions there.
I really like the temperament of this year calves from LT Del Rey 6161 and HRJ Maverick 556C.

Guy,
Roanhorse asked the same question over at Steerplanet. He was a little more specific in that he wanted a bull to improve maternal traits, disposition, and feet/legs. I also think he mentioned that he was breeding cows. Since the amount of information we have is so small I was suggesting bull that is easy to get in the United States with good EPDs and the ability to improve feet and disposition. I also put a couple of performance bulls in the mix. I also want to keep the semen cost $ 25.00 a straw or less. I didn't have any heifer bulls listed as such:
PlesantDawn Chisum ( the seen cost may be too high)
ACE-ORR lock n load
RBM Fargo Y111
WDZ Kingsman 737 P
If you want some extra power:
JWX DOWNTOWN 7C
LT Sundance
I am concerned that LT Del Rey 6161 semen would be hard to get and HRJ Maverick 556C 9 is too extreme a heifer bull (no growth on cows).
At this point I want feedback from Roanhorse.

Mark, I find that Maverick is a good choice here for our cows with extra growth, if I have a bull calf weighting over 115 bw I have no market for him except meat.
The calves from Chisum are very calm too, we had some taller and bigger calves then expected from Chisum but with the kind of epd he possess he need to put some pounds somewhere!
We return to Circle Cee Legend 307A in our AI program this year. We try also a son call Cedarlea Low Rider 105F from Alta Genetics and kept a son of Legend for some heifers and second calver: Dubuc Google 915G. The sons of Legend were our first bulls sold last year.

Guy,

You are really doubling down on producing calving ease bulls after seeing the EPDs and pedigree of Dubuc Google 915G. The only other breeder that is concentrating calving ease genetics to this extent is Turnbull Charolais in Pincher Creek. Given the worth of Circle Cee Legend I can see why you went back to him. Among all the calving ease legend sons around he is likely the best of them. Given the impact that Legend has had around the world it is a mystery why no major American AI stud hasn't seen fit to promote a very high quality son of his.
Just what are you doing to put power back in your cows that doesn't involve Legend or any of this sons? Mavervick doesn't count because he won't add performance. Have you considered WCR Commissioner?

Mark, we keep a eye on daily gain in the heifers we raise. Last year we kept 26 heifers they are from Dubuc casanova 505C, Wr Wrangler 601, SOS Chuckwagon 54C, Dubuc Craig 5586C, SVY Grizzly 521C, MVY Xplorer 21X and Lt Bridger 9191, most of them have calves from Dubuc Diego 605D. Diego is calving like a charm but we didn't raise an heifer from him yet they lack daily gain but some of his bull calves find a herd for calving the heifers or the commercial breeders who fear charolais bulls, often they had bad luck with french influences bulls that are still raised here in Quebec.
We have some cows that weight near 2000 pounds, near half of my cows have Shelco made easy 512R in the blood they are fat in our system here, we winter them with free choice corn silage and the winter is long here so we need to focus in calving ease. My birthweight average is still around 93 pounds. We check for a Commisioner son, maybe an homozygous one will be in our AI tank next year, always in need of a new calving ease bull!

Don't know any current ones but years ago we had good results with several bulls from the Lindskof /Thiel LT program.

Ky Hills,
All but three of the bulls I recommended are either out of LT bulls or are owned by Lt Ranches. In fact PlesantDawn Chisum is being marketed as an outcross for Legend daughters. The big deal about LT cattle are their calving ease and maternal characteristics. It is possible to find many outcross charolais cattle with the same capabiites as LT stock and they can be purchased usually at a much more reasonable price.

Thank you all for the information, this has given me some bulls to look at, I appreciate it!

Latest posts